Plantar fasciitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anybody tried reflexology for plantar problems?  Would be very interested to hear if you have and what the results were.  My plantar fasciitis has been going on for over three years now in one foot with not a lot of improvement.  Reflexology is not cheap so would like some feedback from someone who has tried it, although I do appreciate that every patient is different and what works for one might not for another.  

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I tried reflexology and was disappointed, it actually made it worse.  Not only were my feet still hurting they were burning, and burning bad.  I tried the night splints, physiotherapy, anti-inflammatories, massage therapy, and reflexology, finally I had the cortisone shots and within 24 hours I almost forgot I had plantar fasciitis.
  • Posted

I've not tried any of the things suggested here so I cannot give advice on them.

I have had this condition for about three months now and I have read that it can be a year or so before it goes, of its own accord it would seem. I told my doctor that I have looked it up online and he just said, "Self diagnosed?"  I just said "Yes" and was a bit scared he would say I should not do that. However, he did look at my heel where the pain is and agreed that it is Plantar Fasciitis. I was pleased I had got it right! He did not give any advice on how to manage it or treatment I could buy to ease the pain. So far I have not managed it well at all as ordinary painkillers do not last.

It is very painful to walk and I have to use the ball of my foot. It is my left heel which hurts. It looks like I am a bit tipsy walking with it! Then after a while I get pain in my hip, which is not surprising given the curious walking I do. Not a good thing to have all round. All I can do is wait for it to go away, over time.

• Posted

I would suggest physical therapy. There are stretching exercises which help as well. A physical therapist can help you with those. As your dr for an order for physical therapy on your foot. If he won't give you one see a podiatrist to get one. It helps.

• Posted

Hi, I am back with an update.

I saw my GP and she set up an appointment with a podiatrist.

I go on Tues 3 Jan. Not sure they can help; it seems incurable.

I'll take their advice and see what happens.

Cheers, Liza66

• Posted

I've had plantar faciaitis for almost 3 years.  However, it has much improved in the last 6 months, since when I have been resting the foot in a slightly stretched position for an hour each day.  How I do this is by lying on a sofa in a foetal position, head on a cushion, with the toes and ball of the foot (but not the heel)touching the side of the arm of the sofa.  So my feet are slightly stretched and therefore the plantar does not contract as when I sleep at night.  Since doing this I have experienced a 70% improvement and will continue until, hopefully, the recovery is as near to 100% as possible.  Keep trying; don't give up! 
    • Posted

Thanks for that tip rob01384, I will try it and see. In the meantime. I am recovering from a fractured foot. The same one, my left, with the plantar fasciitis, and since having to wear a surgical boot I have not had any pain in my heel...which is a bit odd, but I'm well pleased! I have until 21 July to wait before seeing about taking the boot off, and then, of course, the plantar pain will probably return, knowing my luck.

Here's hoping your pains will disappear soon - three years, eh? Mine's only a baby up to yours.

• Posted

Did the plantar f come back???  my doc actually suggested putting me in  a soft cast for a week or so to see if it would help.
    • Posted

My pf has come back. I no longer have to wear the boot but it has taught me how to walk, in a way. I put my weight on the back of my heel, just like when wearing the boot, so that I don't stand on the plantar area, if that's what it is called. But that is not all the time as I keep forgetting. Sometimes I think I'm walking like Charlie Chaplin, and with my cane too it feels like it. I have to walk slower but that is no problem.

I'm not sure if the pf brought on the fall I had and the metatarsil fracture in my left foot. Maybe it is caused by how I walk or stand doing jobs around the house. I have always placed my weight onto my left foot a lot while at the sink or doing ironing and when standing still anytime, so it may just be caused by wear and tear.

Ailments ending with "itis" means an irritation which will get better on its own, so this is just another one. How long it takes with plantar fasciitis is anyone's guess. I'm keeping the boot, for use if needed. wink

• Posted

Oh no sad....hope it's not too bad?

I agree about walking correctly, your gate has a lot to do with the feet.  Yeah i would keep the boot too.

I can tell you that after my PRP treatments (which was about 11 weeks ago) I am doing about 70% better which is a huge improvement.

I am waiting two months and then I may repeat the PRP again.

Good luck.

• Posted

It is the same as before, sadly. I had a good rest from it though. I have been reading the other threads on pf and I will go back to find out more about it. And catch up on the different treatments being tried. I have forgotten what yours is, the PRP. Good luck with the next one.
    • Posted

Hi again, sorry for not coming back to you. I hope the PRP worked, over a year ago. I am not sure what that is even now, having not seen a reference in full to PRP. You can enlighten me please, so that I can look it up!

It has been a while since we posted, so I hope your situation has improved by now. Mine is not as bad as it was, but then I do rest a lot more nowadays, so it must help to take the weight off the feet.

My next appointment is on Tues 3 Jan 2017, to see a podiatrist for the first time. After reading all the messages here about treatments and them not being a conclusive cure I will see what the podiatrist says. I will follow the advice and see what happens.

Cheers, Liza66

• Posted

Hi again. Just wanted to let you know what I found out when I went to see the podiatrist on 3 January 2017. I was very surprised to be told that I have what is called policeman's heel, and not plantar fasciitis.

I have been given arch supports, which the podiatrist made to fit my lace-up shoes. I always wear lace-ups. I found that I was standing straighter and could walk better, even while still with the podiatrist, and I told her that the supports were very comfortable. She was pleased to hear that. She said that if I needed more help I could call in to see her. On the NHS - fabulous!

So then, I looked up policeman's heel only to be taken straight to the Patient plantar fasciitis link - round in circles, seemilgly. A small mention is made about policeman's heel - it is plantar calcaneal bursitis, an inflammation of the sack of fluid (bursa) under the heel bone. It is rarer than plantar fasciitis and it is a different condition.

All the information is here on Patient about plantar fasciitis, with a diagram too, but the rarer plantar calcaneal bursitis has only that small mention.

I have this rarer condition, so I must just wait to see if the arch supports will sort it out for me. So far it looks like they will.

I hope that your PRP treatments have been successful. I'm still not in the know what a PRP treatment is, so maybe I will not need to know, now. wink...best wishes.

• Posted

You have to make sure the person knows what they are doing....some of them really do not.. I have found that massage does help.  I have had this for about 15 m and my left foot is really painful. I had shots and PRP treatments (10 weeks ago) it did help somewhat but still have some healing time to go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.