Cortisone injection in my knee

Posted , 31 users are following.

Hi,

I posted here a couple of days ago about a recurring knee problem after 2 athroscopies for cartillage problems. I have been having physio but its made my knee worse than before. I went back to the doctors today and he's offered a cortisone injection and I have agreed but now I am panicking. I have only ever had one cortisone injection before in my hand and was in agony for about 24 hours after. Has anyone had cortisone in the knee and can they let me know what to expect? Thanks :-)

3 likes, 101 replies

101 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Yes I had one earlier this year, I was terrified too but it was a breeze... Didn't hurt at all and was extremely effective ....... But unfortunately the effects didn't last very long !
    • Posted

Oops sorry didn't mean to end there......

hopefully you'll have better luck and it will be longer lasting

good luck 

• Posted

i asked the doc how long it would last and he said there was no guarantee with it and it might not even be effective at all, i was just panicky about going through a load of pain for not much relief. How long did yours last? I have read on the internet it can actually make your knee worse with each injection which is a bit worrying :-(
    • Posted

I'm afraid mine was wonderful for a few days, that's all. 
    • Posted

oh gosh that's not good, a few days? I was hoping for a few months :-)
  • Posted

Its been several years back but don't recall any particular after effects. I think the biggest pain was the stuff they use to numb the area before going in deep. You'll get relief within 48 hrs or it didn't work
    • Posted

the doc has said he uses the same needle to take bloods which I have had lots of times and been fine, i think I am being more nervous because I am already in pain with it and can't stand the thought of doing something to it to potentially make it more painful, thanks for your reply :-)
  • Posted

I had one ... don't want to scare you ...but I found it very painful. .. had good pain relief for about 3 months afterwards.... I would still recommend. . 
    • Posted

sounds like my experience with it in my hand, the doc never warned me how painful it would be, it was fine at the time but within about 2 hours i was in agony and it lasted for 24 hours before it wore off. It did give me relief in my hand, but like you it wore off, and there was no way i was going back for a 2nd one!
  • Posted

I had 2injections and was pleasantly surprised as they were nowhere near as bad as I thought. They tend to put a little anaesthetic in first then put the cortisone in. Both my injections lasted 6 months. However, as mentioned it may be a short term fix. You would need to look at the big picture if they don't work.
    • Posted

he has as good as said it will be a short term fix, I am more anxious because I don't react well to medication and am thinking this may be the same. I think i will still do it though as I wont know until I try :-)
  • Posted

Hi

before I had my TKR I had a few cortizone injections until the knee got so bad that they didn't work anymore.

I never suffered any pain from them 

so if I was you I'd say go ahead.

take care

Jean 

• Posted

thanks Jean, he said he couldn't keep doing them so I was kind of hoping I might only need one, well I can but hope! :-)

• Posted

Hi 

I wouldn't be certain about this but I think they can only give you so many

you have to be a doctor or a nurse to know for certain 

• Posted

I think you can have up to 3 in a joint within a given period of time. It depends what they are being used for - if it is tendon/ligament damage they have to be restricted because they can damage the soft tissue or weaken it. If it is muscle problems it is different.
    • Posted

I wouldn't be able to say for sure as I have no medical knowledge I just remember my GP saying something about it 
    • Posted

i think i need to ask him some more questions in that case, he's told me it might not work at all, in which case there would be little point having anymore anyway. will speak to the surgery to organise it, feeling a little more positive now everyone has put my mind at rest, thanks :-)
    • Posted

My first injection kept me pain free for a good six months 
    • Posted

that's good to hear Jean, I will keep my fingers crossed for a good result myself :-)
    • Posted

When you say weaken it, do you mean, like your knee feels like it wants to give out when you're just walking normally? I have had 2, and the original pain is gone, but it tries to give out on me. Is that what you mean by weaken it?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.