Doxazosin - avoid this mind altering drug

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have only been on a 1mg doseage for three months but luckily a cardiology consultant has told me to stop taking these pills. The constant headaches and dizziness were bad enough plus the pins and needles in my hand but it has been the anxiety that has really shocked me. I am hoping that the anxiety will subside quickly as it has been a big problem over the past few days.

I am a glass half empty sort of person but feeling waves of anxiety even at home is something I want to end ASAP. They fell short of full blown panic attacks but not knowing what was causing the problem was in itself fuelling anxiety

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

the anxiety sent my BP up to boiling point, I wished I had never been told

I was just sailing along as happy as could be, felt fit as a lop then given BP pills . spoilt my life stopped me in my tracks. I told the DOC no more they are horrendous..just been watching my diet and chewing on celery sticks at bedtime which seems to be the worst time for anxiety

• Posted

From reading various posts on various blood pressure medication it seem the common fact is that most BP medication makes people feel worse. This seems to lead to anxiety and distress which just leads to worse BP i.e. a viscious circle!

I only went for a flu jab 5 months ago and had my BP read. Was put on meds, my quality of live has declined rapidly but my BP hasn't. Last night was pescribed Doxazosin to HELP anxiety. Having read posts on here and seen the side effects on the NHS site.... no way am I taking it.

When ever I complain my GP mentions stroke risk. I sometimes think I'd rather come off the med and feel normal again and run the risk rather than spending every day feeling like I'm going to have a stroke.

Another trap is that general exercise is hard to do on these meds due to tiredness, aching and anxiety. Lack of exercise surely makes the BP worse.

I want my old life back.

• Posted

Hello Nathan , I am not taking my tablets they made me feel ill, I am not

taking my BP that was causing too much stress. I am going out every day and walking and I have changed my diet a bit eating porridge and fruit and nuts.have lost a bit of weight . but not back to were I was before they started shouting Stroke.... still get anxiety when I try to relax.. still worried.

• Posted

Hi Jean,

I on ramipril 5mg and was also put on bisoprol to supposedly stop the anxiety.

The latter made me feel awful. Felt constantly like I'd been shot with elephant tranquilisers. Work, Driving, leaving the house were unbearable.

After looking on this site for the 1st time decided to come off them. Within a week felt better but still not my normal self. Work and driving are still hard work but a lot more bearable and I can again take my daughter swimming or too the park (as long as it's not too far).

Went to Docs over Xmas. My BP was fine. My GP was on holiday. When I told his cover I'd stopped taking Bisoprol he said "no point taking medicine if it makes you feel worse"!!!!!

Now back at work my BP has gone up again. My GP has doubled the ramipril which I don't mind but added the Doxazosin. I'm not taking a step back.

Will do the ramipril but if it doesn't work will change GP or stop everything for a couple of months and see how i feel.

As I said putting us on these various med traps us in an endless circle of anxiety-high BP-anxiety-high BP

• Posted

Hi nathan

hello nathan try to find if your high blood pressure is caused by cholesterol  or by stress if it is stress,  you need vit B . Velerium celery (I chew on a celery stick before bed).  And beetroot juice.   If  it is caused by cholesterol you need to change your diet. Omega 3 fish oils. Oats garlic  salads fruit veg .  And walking for a couple of hours. Hope this helps a little  . Try not to dwell on it , causes more anxiety and makes you feel exhausted just worrying about it. Try relaxation and laughter 

• Posted

Thanks Jean. cholesterol is ok and blood/urine tests were fine.

Work itself is fine. It the driving to and from work and feeling tired all day thats the killer. before diagnoses and meds driving was fine and wasn't tired all the time.

Was worse before xmas when on Bisropol spend most journeys and time at work feeling faint and about to keel over.

Take berroca, might try the vit D anyway.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.