When will it go away?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had Glandular Fever for a year and a bit now, and I honestly didn't think it would last this long but it's getting worse my doctors now think I may have chronic fatigue as well, has anyone else had this? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had bas tonsillitis  7 months ago yet I have only just found out that it was glandular fever. My tiredness is still really bad, if not getting worse and I am bed bound for most days, especially if I've had a busy day the day before.  
  • Posted

Try virgin organic coconut oil. You can take right out of the jar. I'm taking 4 TBS a day for mono. It is helping some. Hang in there!

• Posted

Hi there,

I am writing to offer a bit of reassurance following my experience with Glandular Fever which was very similar to yours. This is going back 8 or 9 years for me now, and I got it when I was in my mid-20's. I thought it was never going to end, but let me tell you that after the first year things got much better - it does get better even though you don't think it will at the time because it feels like it's never ending. For about the first 6 months I felt terrible, the running fever all the time, the tiredness, etc. This really continued for about another 6 months where I still couldn't function normally really, and at about the 9 month stage I got terrible pains in my joints which lasted for a month or two.

It's a gradual process and the really good news is that things DO start to get better in the second year - you feel more able to do things and your energy starts to come back - you still need to take it easy and take care of yourself (I would definitley recommend taking a good strong multi-vitamins and a B complex vitamin). After a couple of years you really start to feel back to yourself and properly and can live your life to 100% again.

So don't worry! It's one of the most horrible experiences ever, but I promise it will get better and you will feel liberated and happier again for having your health back - keep the faith! The doctors will always say chronic fatigue because it's gone on for so long, but that doesn't mean to say that it won't get better - it does and you are at the stage now where the worst is over and things will gradually start to improve for you.

Take care and good luck

Craig

• Posted

Hi there

Yes I can definately relate. I had GF 4 years ago and ended up with chronic fatique. The 1st year was torchure between sore throats, sweating, brain fog and the never ending tiredness and to top it all off catching every virus/ bug going around. The frustration of doctors not been able to help except to write out endless doctors certificates for the days I could not possibly face up to work. The 2nd year I sought out the help of a naturopath and things started to improve slowly

Ill call these years my walking zombie days cause thats what it felt like

4 yrs on and I still can have bad days but gladly few and far between

Hang in there cause yes there is a light at the end of the tunnel

My advise would be to stay hydrated, stick to non process foods, sugar free diet. To give the liver a rest and the gut a good clean out

Hope this helps and your on the road to recovery

• Posted

Hi Ocean girl,

So sorry to hear you've had such a terrible time with glandular fever and subsequent problems. I can only hope and pray things get better for you, I believe that they will.

I do want to say to those who are in the first year of the illness that it usually I believe doesn't happen the way it has for you. I would be afraid maybe it would make folks worry that they will never get better - I think for a very unfortunate few that may be the case but for the VAST majority of generally healthy otherwise people, they will get better much quicker.

Hang in there everyone! There is a recovery for you Ocean girl and everyone else too!

Craig

• Posted

Craig,

i just want to thank you for your words of hope and encouragement to so many!!

You are appreciated!

I'm still not well, but it's (only!) been since the end of February that I was diagnosed. It's hard not to buy in to the chronic fatigue scare, but hearing your story and some others (though most that have experienced this awful illness when they are better want to forget they ever had it!) gives sooooo much hope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.