Fluoxetine for perimenopausal pmdd/depression

Posted , 15 users are following.

I have been struggling for some months with perimenopausal mood swings, crying a ridiculous amount, not sleeping or sleeping too much, craving carbohydrates, sometimes feeling very anxious and sometimes feeling so low that I don't want to go on. I have felt hopeless at times and ready to call it a day, but then my mood can suddenly lift and I will feel 'normal' again. When I return to normality, I am frightened that I felt so bad and live in fear of the feeling returning. I no longer have a regular menstrual cycle but can go several months without a period and then bleed for weeks on end. My hormones are all over the place. My GP has been brilliantly supportive and has just started me on Fluoxetine, 2 weeks ago. I am still very up and down and felt really low again this morning. Can Fluoxetine really overcome the effects of raging hormones or am I destined to feel this way until I pass through menopause?

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Well I have to say that, on the whole, I am starting to feel a lot better. I am still having down/anxious times but they seem to be getting less frequent and the 'normal' times are lasting longer. I am hoping this is the Fluoxetine kicking in and not just another hormonal shift. I've been on it two and a half weeks now. I am still getting lots of headaches, often waking in the early hours with a bad one which lasts until afternoon. Sometimes I feel sick with them, a bit like a migraine. I have also noticed my appetite has dropped off and I have an upset stomach at times, but none of these side effects would make me stop taking the Fluoxetine because emotionally I feel so much better. Nothing would make me risk feeling as bad as I felt again. It was just so awful and very frightening. I will tolerate any number of physical symptoms if it means the mood swings stop. I am less tired than I was and feel less spaced out. I am beginning to feel like me again and I can't tell you how good that feels. Thank you God (and my wonderful GP) for Fluoxetine.
  • Posted

Fluoxetine has, for me, been a miracle! I have been on it now for about 7 weeks and I feel 'normal' again. The side effects have pretty much gone and I feel like me again. Looking back, I can't believe how bad I felt and I wish I had asked for Fluoxetine sooner. It has given me my life back.
  • Posted

hi i know its been a while since you posted but how are you now,i have just been put on fluoxetine thanks
  • Posted

Hi Guest and Pammy1,

Hope you both still around some where, just about to start on Fluoxetine for my Menopause and just wondring how you both doing on it after reading your posts.

Thanks Nonnie

• Posted

hi everyone, i am new to all this, but today i was prescribed fluoxetine bymy GP .. I had a hystorectomy at the age of 30 so it has been difficult to tell when the menopause was kicking in. (blood tests said yes one month and no the next) the sweating is a nightmare especially now summer is her, anxiety and uncontrollable bursts of tears along with excessive wieght gain (a stone in 3 months!!) finally took its toll and i realised i had to see my gp. I have been reading your posts and feel that maybe i have done the right thing as to feel "normal" again would be brill .. i know its early days but just by reading what u have all put has made me feel more positive about my future. Thank u for making unsure people like me brave enough to cope with the stigma of taking prozac. Im not mad after all just need a pick me up to put me back on the right road. Good luck everyone smile
  • Posted

Just reading the comments and has made me feel a bit better at taking flu. I've only been taking it for just over 2 weeks and haven't noticed any improvement but hoping that will come soon. My boyfriend really hopes so too lol I've had headaches, tired all the time and no appetite but feeling a bit better after reading the comments that hopefully that won't be forever. Thanks smile
  • Posted

Hi! I started this thread nearly 2 years ago and thought I would share that I have just come off the Fluoxetine, taking my last one a week ago. It really did work brilliantly for me and I would recommend it to anyone who is struggling with mood swings/depression connected to menopause. I am still not quite through menopause and hope that I have not withdrawn from the medication too soon, but I have felt a lot more stable and ready to give it a try. I definitely experienced side effects from Fluoxetine, the big one being tiredness and needing to sleep in the afternoons. I have also gained a lot of weight but that could be tied to menopause and depression rather than the meds. Other than that, I have felt very well on it and able to enjoy life again. Withdrawal has been fairly easy so far. I dropped to 20mg every other day for 2 weeks before stopping completely. The only problem I have is feeling very dizzy at times. I am hoping this will pass soon. Good luck if you are just starting out on Fluox. I hope it helps you as much as it helped me.
  • Posted

Hi everyone,

Fluoxentine is a brilliant drug, didn't stop my pmdd though! Also it gave me really bad acid reflux!,,,, I tried it twice over three years and both times made me very ill with reflux, felt like I had swallowed a tube of toothpaste, once stopping the drug it took ages to ease the reflux with ppis , maybe 6 months or more!

• Posted

Is anybody able to update as to how they are feeling? Did the fluoxetine help? I was just prescribed this and am hoping for some relief from the horrible saddness and anxiety. 
    • Posted

Hi Snowball, I'm just wondering how you got on with the flouxetine? Did it help?

• Posted

I'm just realising that this is 7 years old! Never mind but will still be relevant. PMDD nearly destroyed my life. I'm generally a sociable, HAPPY, cooperative person but that used to go 2 weeks before my period commenced. It was only when I was near the end that I stumbled upon the PMDD diagnosis and started to educated my doctor. Fluoxetine saved my life. It was such an amazing feeling to be understood finally.

Now I am 52 and have recently "crashed" out of work with complete exhaustion and anxiety. My symptoms are constantly changing and I feel like I can't keep up. Breathlessness. Panic attacks. Numbness and tingling. My head going fuzzy and buzzing.

I'm taking maca powder and flaxseed oil. D1 and magnesium. It's eased a lot but maybe it sounds like I need milled flax seed? Going to try Vitex too. Angus Castus (chastetree berry)

All hands on deck. Want to get back on track.

Are there any of you that have gone through menopause successfully? Any advice please😣

• Posted

Hi I’m 49 & having a really hard time with menopause 

I went to my doctor in December & was prescribed Fluxotine when I did expect to be offered HRT

I have had problems with alcohol in the past but since taking the tablets which my doc has upped from 20 to 40mg per day I honestly feel like I’m losing the plot!! 

• Posted

Hi Susan

I've have taken Fluoxetine for the last 3 years, having initially been prescribed it for divorce and the death of a parent. At times I've had breaks from it, but when I've done that I've realised that my PMS symptoms have increased, so I've gone back on it again.

I did stop taking it a few weeks ago and am at week 3 in my monthly cycle. Im suffering from extreme tiredness, dizzy spells, aching arms and legs though I'm hoping this goes once I start my period.

The plus side of not taking Fluo is that I dont want to drink as much alcohol. Ive gone from many units a week to around 4. I'm considering taking it again to help with the tiredeness but have been worrying that feeling good will increase my urges for alcohol.

When you say you're losing the plot, do you mean that you're drinking more than you normally would? If so, thats exactly what I fear most from taking Fluo again.

• Posted

Hi Susan

I hope you're feeling a little better? I have been on fluoxetine for a few years now and it eventually worked well. Sadly, after a stressful job change and working long hours, they stopped doing their magic and I relapsed quite badly. My GP upped my dose nearly 8 weeks ago and I'm still waiting to turn a corner, although i have had some good days. Today isn't one of them unfortunately. I think I'm also premenopausal and have just finished a 4 week period! I like to have a few glasses of wine as I find it relaxes me on day's where I can't face another but scared it's slowing down my recovery. Any tips or advice?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.