Prescribed Laxido for IBS or similar.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi All,

I am new to this site so please let me know if I miss any relevant information.

I have been suffering with IBS type symptoms for about 4 months now. My symptoms include:

- Sudden need to go to the toilet after eating (number 2)

- Very bad stomach pains when going for a number 2

- Finding it difficult to empty bladder completely

- Constant dull pain in my stomach area

- Very bad stomach pains during/after eating

- Pelvic pains during/after intercourse

I have gone to my doctor regarding the above symptoms and she has sent me for blood tests to check for IBS and an ultrasound to check for any ovarian cysts (even though she has said it's very unlikely to be either of these).

She has perscribed me Laxido orange and wants to see if it "clears me out". I am very reluctant to take it as I have read up that this is a laxitive for constipation. I am the exact opposite of being constipated and am worried this stuff will make my toilet habits/stomach pains even worse than they are already.

Please can you advise me on what you think and if I should start taking the laxido sachets?

Thanks.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Laura, how has the Laxido been prescribed?  How many sachets daily??
    • Posted

Hi Fiona,

Thanks for the reply.

She said to take two a day, but adjust it depending on how it's working (lower the sachets if too much or more if I'm not going toilet enough, which wouldn't make sense because I sometimes go 4 times a day).

She said it could be very painful on my stomach to begin with, but just battle through the pain as it will be clearing me out.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

• Posted

Hi Laura

I take one sachet before bed if I'm feeling a little bit constipated.  This normally works as a stool softener for me but we are all different.  I find Laxido is quite a gentle laxative but if you are worried about trying it, try taking half a sachet before bedtime and see how you get on.  Your symptoms do sound like classic IBS though so try not to worry as this will make things worse.  Your Doctor probably thinks you are not fully emptying your bowels when you do go to the toilet and this is why you have been prescribed Laxido.  If you are still concerned and worried, go back for a second opinion and ask for a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Fiona.

My stools are pretty soft at the moment and I'm the opposite of constipated! But like you said maybe she's trying to clear out anything as she thinks I am not clearing my bowels properly!

If I have bad side affects or it does not work I will go back!

Will blood tests come back with anything to show if I gave IBS? She said this was why she was sending me for them, but I've read somewhere online bloods cannot diagnose IBS?

Thanks again.

• Posted

Laura,

fiona is correct..dr needs to "rule out" other possible disorders, and you are correct there is no blood test that "rules in" IBS.

IBS is merely a syndrome and with many variable symtpoms..when a dr cannot rule in a specific disorder its "ibs"...claudio

• Posted

Hi Laura

I'm no Doctor but it may be that she has taken bloods to rule out other things.  

Hopefully you won't feel any worse with Laxido.  Take it before bedtime.  Do you get any relief after you have been to the toilet or are your symptoms constant??

• Posted

I feel better after going to the toilet, but a lot of the time (even after the toilet) I have a tight, dull pain in my lower left abdomen (if that makes much sense?!)
    • Posted

Just stumbled across this thread whilst researching laxido. Can I ask if you've had a diagnosis yet? - as most of your symptoms particularly the lower left abdomen pain are very similar to what I'm experiencing!

• Posted

That is where I get my pain also and mine can extend upwards to just under my ribs.  I've had IBS for over 30 years but this type of pain only started a couple of years ago. I had a X-Ray and Ultrasound at that time as well as bloods.  It was only then that I actually had a long chat with a Doctor who seemed to know a lot about IBS.  He really explained it well and made me understand it more.  The key is about knowing your body and managing your symptoms and this can take a while.  I do wish you well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.