Losartan Causing Extreme Fatigue and Dizziness/Vertigo

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hello Everyone,

I was taking the same dosage of Losartan 50mg. 3 weeks into taking my BP, I started to feel extreme fatigue and dizziness/vertigo, nausea, muscle pain, and headache. I was to the point that I cannot concentrate or drive a car. But at the time, I did not make the connection and kept on taking the BP medication for another 2 or 3 weeks. Then my wife suggested to look into the side effects of Losartan and sure enough, therer are many others that experience the same side effects as I am. I immediately started and well to see my doctor, he did not think Losartan had anything to do with it but was OK for me to stop. It has been be over 6 weeks since I stopped and I still experience these symptons. The extreme fatigue is really killing me. I cannot last a normal day without taking at least one nap. I would have thought, after more than 6 weeks the Losartan would ahve been out of my system by now. What are you thoughts?

2 likes, 42 replies

42 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I ran out of one of my BP pills (amlodipine), and I took Losartan instead and I felt bad myself the next day.  I do know that with what I take Perindopryl and amlodipine it is better if I take them in the morning because in my case it affects my bladder and gives me a side effect as if there was an issue with my prostate.  When I take in the morning then the morning wee is like that of a 20 year old (I am 54) but if I take it at night, well...  Also it took me a long time to discover these things.  Even after stopping the pills altogether I had some of these weeing side effects very bad.  I can tell you from experience that these side effects seem to be very non-linear and very confusing, at least that is my experience.  It is very difficult to ascribe causality to the pills although one is certain that they have something to do with the side effect.  One is certain but it is difficult to prove it.
  • Posted

Did the Doctor put you on another BP tablet ??

I have found they all and I mean all hve horrible side affects.

I would say it could take a good 2-3 months for the symptoms to subside.

• Posted

I think I must be very fortunate. I have been on BP tablets since the age of 47 (I am now 67) and in all that time I have only had one with horrible unacceptable side effects and that was amplidone. All the others I have been on have been changed because they stopped working. When I did stop amlodipine the unwanted side effects stopped within a month.
    • Posted

You have been lucky Gill, I have tried about 11 so far and have had horrible side effects.  What are you on now.  Alodopine made my ankles swell over my shoes, and dropped by BP too low.  Doctor told me to stop taking them and go home and rest, took a while for my body to get back to normal.
    • Posted

I had the same side effect as you with amlodipine plus very frequent urination - difficult as I have severe mobility problems. At the moment I am on  enalapril 20 since beginning of October and at the moment seem to be working.
    • Posted

Sandy -- Thanks for your reply. Woke up this morning feeling dizzy and tired. What a way to start the day! I hope you're right that it will eventual start to subside, hopefully soon. I've an appt to see an ENT doctor next Monday just to make sure I don't have head sinus infection that is causing this.

The doctor was OK for me not taking anymore BP pills. I decided to completely change my diet, otherwise I'm healthy and workout regularly.

• Posted

My ankles were very swollen on amlodipine...came right over my Shoes.

• Posted

You could have a sinus infection...then again you could have a stuffy bedroom,even if it is cold you still need some air in.

Drink plenty of Water David...flush the bugger out your system...and I do recommend taking a Berroca a day...I take the one with Guarana in it. Only during the Winter.

• Posted

I agree sandypiper ,they all have side effects as i have found out ! am still trying to find one i can take !
  • Posted

what are your bp readings David so you are not on any meds as of now?
  • Edited

Hi, I was looking at this site trying to find out why I have had extreme fatique.

I have an autoimune disease and one of the things that you can get is

fatique. I had other problems a lot of what you discribed plus loose stools.

I have taken Losartan 25 for a year or so and then my doctor raised my dosage

to 50. I am going to talk to my Dr. because I don't want to take this anymore.

I have a problem with lots of meds and my eyes are also bothering me and I feel like it's effecting my driving. I seem to be very sensitive to light in the eyes and live in So. California so it's not good.

Thanks for posting this because I couldn't figure out what was going on.

Lynn

• Posted

Know you posted a year ago. Ut thsnk you. Have multiple sclerosis and have been on Benicar for 5 years. Switched me to generic and seemed to cause problems so doctor suggested try Losartan. Experience from hell for past month with dizziness constantly, blurry vision, headache and dry cough. Going back to generic Benicar and if bothersome need to get prior authorization for  Benicar. Crazy hoops you  jump through  but thanks as thought was loosing mind or MS had really gotten worse..
    • Posted

Excuse typos as ipad is whacky to use at times. Also, how are you doing now. Living with an autoimmune disease ia a daily challenge

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.