pain management ha!!!

Posted , 7 users are following.

i have 2 prolapsed disc's which happened 2yrs ago... I've had physio, traction, 2 lot's of cortisone injections and nothing has worked for me.

i lost my job thru this...... now i been told i have to go to pain management clinic!!!!!! why, so they can show me how to deal with the pain i been dealin with for the last 2yrs...... im 38yrs of age so why cant the nhs just do my op so i can try and get my life back!!!!!!

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

100000% in agreement. It seems the NHS don't give a monkeys about the actual patient and offer \"pain management\" that if it doesn't work for that person, then you are on your own basically. I have been waiting over ten years for the NHS to do something about my neck problems (no discs left between 2-5 & 5-7 are prolapsed) and been left to deal with it all myself. Cannot even blame the postcode lottery as moved areas and still the exact same treatment. All the consultants I have seen have told me that they won't even consider operating until I am 50 as they only want to operate on the spine once!!!

DLA won't even accept my claim as it is curable (rejected & appealled at least 6 times now even though I require a wheelchair to get around and in constant agony!) yet the DWP won't let me work due to the risks I could pose to others in the workplace if I became ill at work!

• Posted

I had to attend this course which lasts for 8-10weeks which most of what they discuss you are already doing everyday I'm now seeing a spinal consultant who has said that he will operate on me once he sees the mri results he seems to think the pain I've been suffering with for the past 10yrs + is my sacroiliac joints and said he will fuse them and this should ease the pain I'm on zomorph, pregabalin, paracetamol  etc for the pain I also have a prolapse disc so filters gets crossed all goes well
  • Posted

My experience of pain management clinics took place in Australia. I fell off a horse injuring my neck, shoulder and back. This left me in excruciating pain.minwas refered to a pain clinic where I was prescribed the pain killer dextromoramide (palfium). This eventually lead to me being seriously addicted to palfium. When I returned to the UK some years later I was put on methadone which helped manage the pain for about a year. Now I still have chronic pain but I'm Lso addicted to a very pernicious analgesic. Which is making my life a misery in many ways. Two of which are the original pain has returned and second of which I am addicted to a drug that has had a horrible impact on my life. I wish I could be put on destromoramide again or even diamorphine.
  • Posted

I also had prolapsed discs in  my neck, C3/4 and had them operated on as soon as they were diagnosed. This was in 2006 when I was 40Yrs old. i was getting pins and needles in both hands and was told there maybe irreversable nerve damage if I was not operated on. The pins and needles turned out to be carpal tunnel syndrome. I had titanium discs put in and have had no problems with my neck since.
  • Posted

Probably time to get the credit card out as I had to. I had a microdisectomy as life was becoming unbearable. 

Not all physios have the knowledge, but Mckenzie and pelvic tilt exercises may help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.