overactive thyroid gland

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone went to see my speacilis ton Thursday and hes put me on 30mgs of Carbimazolent.How long does it take for it to start working please can anyone tell me and what is there to look out for when taking this medication,

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

its usually 4-6 weeks to settle to it.

there are lots of side effects so read the instructions. Major thing to look out for is if you wake with sore throat go to the doctors for blood tests immediately as it can hide symptoms of something more serious.

x

• Posted

Aw thank you Sazzleby do you have overactive thyroid.
  • Posted

Yes, I have Graves Disease and therefore an overactive thyroid. I was on the medication for 18months then taken off by NHS as I'd stabilised but after 12 months off them I'm now overactive again so new course of treatment for three years starting last week but private this time. My consultant said he would never have taken me off them after 18 months as the chance of relapse is much lower if you're on them for longer. I'm much more informed now, knew nothing when I was being seen on NHS sadly x
  • Posted

Hello Julie,

I too have an overactive Thyroid...I have been on Carbimazole for about 3 years now, I did feel some improvement after being on them for about 6 weeks, if I remember correctly anyway!   

I was taken off them late last year because my Thyroid had stabilised, like Sazzleby, but, after a blood test, I has to go back onto them, I'd been off them for 6 weeks, I was just getting used to not having to remember to take them too!!

Yes, we have to have regular blood tests because we can have all sorts of things happen to us  sad  

Unfortunately for me, I do suffer from bad throats, often having a sore throat!  which can be confusing for me!!    

I started out taking 30gms, then the dosage was reduced to 20, then 10, now, thank goodness, I only have to take 5mgs a day....not bad really.  

I have a lump on my Thyroid, it has shrunk since taking the Carbimazole though, so, that's a positive in my opinion....and it isn't often we get positives in medication is it??  

I do hope you soon start to feel the benefit from taking Carbimazole Julie, I'm sure you will.

Take care,

Chrissie.

• Posted

Hi I know thhat is a late reply but wondered how you are know.j

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.