perioral dermatitis

Posted , 21 users are following.

Hi. I have been suffering of a terrible skin condition since almost a year ago. The last dermatology i have seen told me that i have papular rosacea/perioral dermatitis . It has made me so sad , i have try many creams im taking antibiotics since 2months ago but nothing has help. Please can somebody help me with some advise about what have work for you all? I have been avoid the use of cosmetcs and face lotions as much as i can . All i use as a moisterizer is argan oil . Because everything i use cause me irritation and much more bonps. Help please

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth,

I also have had perioral dermititis/papular rosacea for a little over a year now.  I would recommend that you not put ANY creams or moisturizers on your dermititis areas.  For me, any moisture feeds the rash.  I wash only with a natural neem soap and cold water.  For my cheeks where I get the rosacea bumps, I do use a niacinamide cream called Acnessentials.  I have to order it on Amazon from Australia!  Niacinanimide seems to really keep the bumps and inflammation down.  With respect to the perioral dermititis, some people I know have had good success using a zinc oxide cream (diaper cream) to help with the dermititis.  It seems that the higher the zince oxide content the better.  Have you tried this before?  Every person is different and I have had the most luck with almost zero therapy on my dermititis, for others, however, the zinc oxide diaper cream does really help.  Also, I did go on an 8 week course of low dosage doxycycline.  It did help, but the PD did not go away completely.  You should know that some former members of this site have created a Facebook page dedicated to support sufferers of perioral dermititis.  I believe there's around 600 members now, and there is a lot of support and great ideas shared on that page. You should check it out.  It is a closed group so you have to email a request to join.  

• Posted

Hello jennifer74484 thank you very much for your coment. I gona try that cream and the soap you mention and i.just found the facebook page . They told me about the zinc i gona order ir right now. Thank you god bless you much.
  • Posted

My perioral dermatitis was cured in 3 weeks. Follow these steps:

1. STOP PUTTING ANYTHING ON YOUR FACE. No makeup, no face wash, no lip balm, no moisturiser, no essential oils, NOTHING. Especially avoid products such as Lucas' Pawpaw Ointment that has a hidden ingredient, Balsam of Peru (or myroxylon), and can trigger perioral dermatitis. 

2. You seriously have to follow Step 1. Although it may be tempting and it might feel soothing to put something on the rash, but trust me, your pores can heal themselves. They need to breathe. 

For about the first two days, it will seem like things are getting worse. Your dermatitis may get really red in your skin's attempt to release all the toxins. It will start flaking up, and this is a sign that it's healing. DO NOT SCRATCH/EXFOLIATE IT. Just leave it, and rinse only with water. 

3. In three-or-so days your body will have detoxified its skin, and you will now see improvements with each day that goes by. My perioral dermatitis was cured in 3 weeks. Avoid touching it with your hands.

4. After the perioral dermatitis has subsided, try to stay as natural as possible with your skincare regime. Water is the best cleanser. 

I can guarantee you, this is the most natural and effective treatment. 

• Posted

This us exactly what my dermatologist has told me to do!

However It's very hard for me at the moment as I also have eczma and mild adult acne. ..

On very dry days I am allowed to use a tiny amount of diprobase mixed with water.

Can't wait for it to be gone!

• Posted

I had PD and like most of you, I tried everything to no avail. Then I came across M&R Essentials Skin Tonic and Balm and their Intense Detox. I ordered it (from New Zealand so I had to call my bank first) and it worked! I did the detox and took the tonic as directed and then I would simply soak the area with straight undiluted peroxide (OUCH!) followed by a light layer of the balm (ouch then ahh) and leave it alone (once in the morning and once before bed). When I would wake up, a little more of it would be flaking off and my beautiful pink normal skin was underneath! Once it was gone, it was gone! The intense detox takes care of candida and I have heard that a good candida cleanse could do the trick as well. Candida causes a list of symptoms longer than my arm so the benefits of doing a cleanse are many! Good luck to you all, I hope this helps!
  • Posted

Had extreme perioral dermatitis for 15 months with tonnes of orange fluid seepage. Tried about two dozen topical things all either made it worse or didn't help. Finally trying zero therapy. How long does it usually take does anyone know? Thanks. God bless
  • Posted

Hi Elizabeth. My daughter suffers from the same condition and she finds putting cream on her face even though it is dry is the worst thing as it feeds the yeast that causes the problem. She found bathing her face with SEA SALT not ordinary salt helped her. First bathe your face with warm bottled water to open the pores, then with cotton wool pat a mixture of sea salt and warm water into your face. Leave overnight and only put a very small amount of cream on your face where it is very dry. She does this once a week and has found it to be very helpful in controlling this nasty condition. I hope this helps you. ........

joy.

• Posted

Hi

?Omg Ive never joined a forum before but I just had to help you !!  I have had Perioral Dermitis for about 2 years now and in the past few months it has got worse and gone upto my nose.  I was sick of it and went to the doctors and they said it was something different and was put on Steroids which made it worse !!  I went back to the doctors yesterday for the 4th time and saw someone different and she agreed it is Perioral Dermatitis.  She prescribed some Rozex 0.75% cream (which is normallly for Rosacea) I got to work put it on and within an hour the symptoms had lessened and put it on again last night and it has cleared up by about 70% !!!!!!  Is is unbelieveable.  I am so happy I can't explain.  I hope this helps!!  Yipppppeeeeee 

• Posted

Hi Caroline

I'm wondering how the PD is going these days? Did the Rozex continue to help and has it stayed clear?

I am in pain with the PD it is awful and just considering antibiotics but I'm pregnant so it's not ideal.

• Posted

Hi Elizabeth.

Wondering how you got on

Mine turned out to be TSW/RSS.

God bless

• Posted

Hi..

I too suffer with perioral dermatitis, I have had this condition on and off for years. I had tried everything to get rid of it but unfortunately it seems that once you get it, it's with you forever! 

Any cream that contains steroids is a complete no no... Never ever use them, it eases the symptoms for a few days then comes back 100 times

worse and lenthens all the symptoms by months.

I had my last break out last August( 2015) .. It lasted for months and really.

got me down. I was on the internet every spare second that I had, looking at new things to try, seeing what I should avoid, changing diets etc.. Nothing

helped, I was spending an absolute fortune on different cosmetics and

tablets but nothing was helping.. Until.. I read someone's blog on here about

Avene products, in particular the cicalfate cream. As well as the cream the lady used the Avene soap to wash her face with and whenever possible, no other creams or make up. Especially at night, let your skin breathe and heal itself.

So I thought, ok, I've not tried this one, I'll give it a go.I was very wary at first because of all the different things I'd tried in the past, but this isn't very expensive in comparison to some of the things I'd bought so I didn't mind.

and I'm so glad I did.. 

Firstly, I used nothing at all on my face and only washed in warm water, which I hated and didn't feel clean, I used the cicalfate cream on the areas around my nose and mouth which were inflamed,itchy, sore and knobbly!!

after only a couple of days I began to see a difference, I still kept thinking it's probably my imagination and I will wake up tomorrow and it will be back with a vengeance.. A few more days and there was definately an improvement, so I bought the soap, (which isn't soap) I started to use a small amount to wash my face in the evenings, things were still improving, anyway., I continued to use these 2 items for a month or so then added a moisturiser, also from Avene, skin recovery cream. I use this in the mornings and only a small amount, I still think your skin needs to breathe at night.

After a month or so of starting this routine the rash dissapeared. I have continued the same routine ever since, it's now 11 months since I had a break out, I use Avene gentle face wash in the morning, followed by cicalfate cream around my nose and chin, (just a very small amount) as precaution and protection, and I moisturiser with the skin recovery cream. At night I wash wig Avene soap, a  tiny amount of cicalfate in the danger areas and occasionally, if my skin is very dry from the sun, I'll use a bit of the moisturiser.

• Posted

I just want to add, the general appearance of my skin now is far better than it's ever been. I'm always dreading another breakout but have never gone this long before... If you or anyone reading this are still struggling with this awful condition, please give Avene products a try. 

Always check the ingredients on anything you use and make sure it's parabens free ... I hope this has been helpful.

• Posted

Hi Shaz.

Do you ever wear makeup in that area now that it's calmed, or just the water and Avene products only?

Thank you :-)

• Posted

Hi shaz

I'm wondering how the PD is going these days? Did the Avene cicalfate continue to help and has it stayed clear?

I am in pain with the PD it is awful and just considering antibiotics but I'm pregnant so it's not ideal.

I bought cicalfate yesterday and have used twice now

• Posted

Hi  Shaz

I know this is an old post....can I just ask which Avene soap you use? 

I'm new to PD and so scrabbling around to find something that works for me.

Are you still having success with this routine?

I'm about to head out and get the cicalflate cream.

Thanks. X 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.