Recovery from surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi I am 10 days after surgery to my left leg I seem to be in more pain with it this week than last is the norm ? When I stand and walk I get sharp stabbing pains I still have a lot of bruising and swelling on my thigh and a painful lump again I'm not sure if this is normal  has anyone else had this ? I don't see the consultant till 8 weeks time . Reading on here it's seems it takes longer to recover than I was told I thought I would be up running around in a couple of days but can't imagin doing any running at moment . 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Gillian, did you have endovenous ablation? Micro-phlebectomy or both? We have our patients wear compression night and day for 48 hours and take Advil or Aleve as directions on the box for a week. We have them wear compression during the day for two weeks. This is to cut the inflammatory response. Bruising can be normal and should subside. If you have areas of localized pain believe it or not Aspercreme works great.
    • Posted

Hi I had both I am wearing the compresion stocking during the day and have been told I can take it off at night and have to do this for 3 weeks. I was prescribed to take paracetamol and ibuprofen 3 times a day but I spoke with my doc today as having really bad headaches and he advised to stop taking them so will try what you surgested . I have started using arnica cream on the bruising so hope this will help thank you .
  • Posted

hello, I am having the same problem. I had my veins stripped in both legs a week ago & the pain has got worse in the last 2 days. it is above my ankle on my left leg near the shin bone & is also numb & swollen. I have an ulcer on that ankle that was caused by the varicose veins. could you tell me if your pain went away. I am worried about nerve damage,thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.