HS, Thinking of new treatment..

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I've had HS now for 6 years but I've only been diagnosed with it for the past 6 months as before I wasn't diagnosed correctly by doctors. I'm currently taking Oxytetracycline twice a day, and I know it's meant to be a long term course but so far with Oxytetracycline it just seems to be getting worse. There are times when I can't leave the house as it hurts too much to walk as my HS is in my groin. I just wondered if anyone could suggest any other medication that has worked quite well for them before I go to my dermatologist again so I could see about changing medication.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had the same issue, went misdiagnosed for 8 years and was just diagnosed properly a few days ago. My dermatologist recommended Humira.. It's rather expensive but they have programs nowadays where the cost of the medication can be reduced through use of the assistance. Reduce your stressors, Soak the affected area, and Keep your head up! 

• Posted

hi there,

it has been about 4 years for me (also in groin), i've known for about half the time it is HS. i have been to dermatologist offices who have done poor i&d's and have tried to get me to go on long term antibiotics. i went to my primary / gp and was referred to a couple of surgeons, one of whom had the guts to tackle the HS. i was pretty much told by the MD's not to really trust dermatologists with this condition, because they aren't going to take any definitive action, just throw medications down your gut which will eventually do internal damage.

HS is now thought to be auto immune, most patients with weeping wounds experience some kind of secondary infection but it is usually minor. i understand antibiotics for the secondary infections that can occur, however antibiotics do nothing for the root cause, if it's the immune system acting up and not foreign bacteria.

how is your diet? do you have any food allergies? i did an elimination diet after my first surgery this year and came to learn that my body has sensitivity to both gluten and the nightshade family of foods. i changed my diet and it really did help with overall pain and inflammation (also found out that gluten gives me headaches). it didn't go away, but it did lessen the effects. taking supplements like turmeric, zinc, and a few others helped too.

unfortunately HS is a complex bugger with no truly known cause. the only definitive action you can take is to get surgery, but you have to have a surgeon well versed in the subject.. any diseased tissue remaining after surgery will just act up again as soon as it can. that's where i'm at now. two surgeries this year that did not get the whole thing, so i'm back to square one, plus scars and hospital bills.

good luck. it's not easy. but you're not alone. sometimes it's better to just laugh through the tears, at the sheer absurdity of it all, and just do our best to live our lives as comfortably as possible.

stress makes it worse. stress actually triggers an immune response .. which can cause nasty flares in the disease .. i know it's so much easier said than done to tell a HS sufferer "just don't stress about it!" but it is very helpful if you can practice something like mindfulness, meditation, or even therapy as often as possible.

baths help.. epsom salt and some essential oils like tea tree.

you will be ok. clean up your diet, quit smoking if you do, take baths regularly, try to relax.. and do some research on surgeons in your region if it gets that bad.

• Posted

Thanks Amanda for your insight. 

Yeah, I have had unsuccessful I&D's, not much success with any antibiotics because they only cause more issues. So diet change is necessary, I have found in the last 4 days a HUGE reduction in inflammation by simply not ingesting ANY gluten, ANY sugar, ANY nightshade veggies, ANY processed meat, or dairy. Whew, it seems tough to rid all of those seemingly essential parts of our diets, but it does help. I'm going to try Humira to see if that helps any, more or less just to experiment.. I will not undergo anymore lancing, I hate getting cut on!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.