Neck pain and AWFUL headaches for 2 weeks after chiro?

Posted , 28 users are following.

Hi there, does anyone have any idea what might have happened to me?

2 weeks ago I was advised to go and see a chiropractor for a shoulder problem I was having.  He said he thought I had a trapped nerve in the C7 region. I said I only wanted conservative treatment so he used the adjustor (the little device that clicks and knocks agains your skin if you've seen one) down my neck to try and shift the nerve.  

When I got up from the table, I felt a woosh of heat and a throbbing pain at the back of my skull.  My whole head felt pressurised and my neck was very stiff.  The next day i had the same feeling, as though someone had punched me in the head and feeling dizzy etc.

Now it's two weeks later and no better.  The pain travels from the base of my skull and is like a stabbing behind my eye.

I should mention this is all on the left hand side.  I had to go to a and e it was so bad at one point and after basic tests they said I had just strained my neck and to take naproxin.  This is NOT a neck strain!  The head pressure is like a dull feeling over my whole head but particularly at the C1 area and behind my eye and is constant but ranges from tolerable to unbarable.  

My chiro said I must just have a sensitive neck..

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?  I'm totally open to all ideas from anyone!  Could it be that he somehow moved a nerve which is now causing optical neuralgia maybe?

Thanks for any responses!  

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Jennie,

Did your Chiro recheck you to see if your adjustment was correct or maybe it slipped out?  I went to a chiropractor for three months almost three times a week trying to get my hip straight. He used the same instrument you had and sometimes my adjustment would slip out before I left the office. If they don't get it right, this can happen. It took several weeks of being adjusted repeatedly before my adjustment would hold for more than a couple of days. If your chiro won't recheck you, I would go to a different one, but I would first let him know there is a problem. I was lucky, my chiro really listened to me and was very attentive.

Good luck,

Kathee

• Posted

Hi

Sorry to hear about your headaches and neck pain.  If your Chiro was right about the C7 issue,  then it would seem that the treatment you underwent had the effect of further aggravating a 'possibly' trapped nerve,  That would explain the issues you've experienced since treatment.  There's no real guaranteed method of restoring an 'unthreatened' status, except maybe to not irritate it further,  and allow it to settle back with time.  The symptoms should ease off gradually as the nerve settles down.  You could try sleeping in different positions,  or try sleeping on a sofa for a couple of nights,  as the symptoms can increase or decrease according to sleeping arrangements.  Try using a pillow which offers max comfort....that should help.  If you can ease off the headaches first,  the rest will settle in its own time.  I don't think you can expect further treatments to do anything except maybe extend the duration of the symptoms.  Might be worth asking your GP for a referral for MRI scan of neck area,  as that might reveal any C/S problem.

• Posted

Thanks!  I went back to the chiro who said just to rest and ice my neck which I have been trying to do but heat feels so much better.

My physio said everything was in line in my cervical spine and that she doesn't think there is a trapped nerve in my neck causing the problems, more that my pec minor is really tight and unable to contract properly, causing my shoulder joint to become overworked and constricting the nerves around the brachiel plexus.

It feels like a nerve is exposed in my neck and the second I touch it all my symptoms come on!  Thanks Gerrytheneck I will check out water pillows and talk to the GP today.

• Posted

Not sure that a 'water pillow' will help much with headache issue.  I was thinking more Ortho Cervical Pillow,  which is designed to keep neck in position whilst asleep,  or a soft feather pillow which allows neck to nestle.  These pillows have worked for me in the past...don't get the same headaches as much nowadays.

Gerry

• Posted

You need to find a Chiropractor who listens and cares!

I've been to several throughout my life and trust me when I say I've had bad ones!

Sounds like this one is no exception!

He/She it sounds like,maybe over corrected or impinge something!

Move on to one who listens!

• Posted

That type of headache and upper neck pain can be caused by mucsle tightness or mucsle spasms at the c2-c3 level. I get them often but I have mucsle relaxers to help. I get them occasinally since my second neck surgery. Hope the third fusion in DEC will stop the problem for good. But you could have a pinched or hurniated disc. Of course worst case is you ruptured a disc. when that happens you will leak slowly but still leak spinal fluid and that will cause that type of headache to never end until it is repaired by a surgion. if the pain gets bad enough to make you throw up go to an ER
  • Posted

Did you pain go away? I'm in the same situation with a neck adjustmentsad. What did you do to help? Thanks.

• Posted

Hey Guys, 

I am having this exact experience now.  It's been two weeks.  The headache's went away after 9 days: no headache for 4 days, and I thought I was cured.  Then BAM!  The headache came back with a vengence two days ago and it's weakened and lingered.  

This was 100% caused by an overadjustment by the chiropractor, and he admitted it.  Of course, his treatment is ice, stretches, and more adjustments.  I am so mad, because i did not know he was going to adjust my neck and I don't see a chiro for that, I go for deep tissue work.  

Just seeing if anyone has had any relief from this. Thanks!

• Posted

hi, please try this, try to pull you thumb steady pressure for at least 1 minute, then try to slowly twist it back and forth. do it also on the rest of the fingers and the other hand, but concentrate on the thumb always, when you wake up before moving try to also do it slowly but firmly, please let me know what you feel after doing it. 
  • Posted

In the last six yrs I've had 3 cervical spine surgeries and when I heal from the last one I have one more. The pressure you are feeling is what is also know as a stress head ache. the issue starts with the c1-c2 area muscles in spasm. When I get them They pretty much last long time periods and end up with me throwing up. I found the easyest way to get fast relief is get in the shower with the water as hot as I can stand it. Stand just under the shower head and let the water directly run over the back side of the crown of your scalp. stand still close your eyes and I promise as the water runs over yor head you will fill relief within seconds. I cant promise the pain won't return however if its as painfull as the ones  If I can get 10min. relief can feel heavenly. I know this will give you a little help I wish I knew of a longer term solution. good luck

• Posted

Hi

Try rolling on a basketball with your neck on the side and back. it should make popping sounds and cracking sounds.

also support your rib cage with pillows and face put on a pillow try SLOWLY putting pressure with your hand on your head in rotational or shifting motion.

this should pull the muscles that are tied down.

also roll on a basketball with your spine.

also i tried tapping my head against the carpet on the floor with a hood on my head. this should loosen up your tension in the head. small taps also if it is too painful don't do it.

these exercises should be followed by a phase of healing inflammation. you should wait until that settles before you do it again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.