Butrans Help please

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, Im so glad I found this site, as I am really unhappy.. Ive got slipped discs (3) in my back and have been on tramadol and pregabalin for nearly 4 years. The pain relief was never enough and the doctor has been adding and changing my meds the whole time.. to no avail.

Monday, after requesting 'some kinda patch my friend mentioned', the doctor put me on Butrans 10mcg, saying that he didnt think putting me on the 5 would be much help.

I have been in tears of agony and am shattered, but unable to sleep preoperly. Ive had throbbing down my arms (but tbh, the same effect from nicotine patches was more painful) and Ive had tummy cramps which now have stopped.... but no pain relief.... well, maybe a 2 outta 10 improvement.

The doc told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen/dicloflex/naproxen for any additional pain,,, but these arent helping me either. My pharmasist cannot advise me on anything to help, and has referred me back to my GP... who has now gone to Pakistan for 3 weeks!

Seeing an alternate doc at the surgery tomorrow, but I wondered if anyone can give me any advice? I have virtually every other painkiller known to man downstairs, but am reluctant to take them without guidance, and I really feel that these patches are not gonna work due to the amount of pain relief Ive taken in the past (co-dydramol, solphadeine, co codamol, tramadol and lyrica(pregabalin) at the same time :cry:

Please can someone please offer me advice or reassurance, I have read through alot of the posts on here searching for some clues as to if Im doing sommat wrong, but I thought Id take the plunge and get it all off my chest. Sorry to drag on and on, and thanks for any help

xxx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

4 years with prolapsed discs,, hmm have you been referred to the hospital / consultant? You should have been, yep years ago sad

The only things you can take on top of Buprenorphine are Paracetamol and Ibuprofen (or Diclofenac or Naproxen) as these patches block the painkilling effects of all the others (well, maybe some Tramadol will work). Pregabalin should work aswell smile

• Posted

Hi, Thanx for the reply :-) I've been seen my my consultant as an outpatient loads of times, I've had nerve root and facet joint injections, discography and bi lateral steroid injections. I've had two MRIs, and I've been seen at the pain clinic - but the dr there said medication from my GP was all the help they could offer. I'm truly at my wits end... I'm hoping that tomorrow I get either something for the breakthrough pain and the patches put up in strength.

It's so hard having an invisible problem, I know my GP will help all he can, but with him away I'm gonna be at the mercy of the other partner at the practice.

I've read what I can on using my tramadol/pregabalin alongside the patch but they seem to advise against this! I think I'll opt for a hot bath, give it a few hours and if I can't sleep I'll take a tramadol. (is 100mg ok?)

Thank you again for responding, I really appreciate you taking the time xx

• Posted

I have a prolapsed disc and lower lumba spine the pain shoots down my right leg and my foot goes numb and gets pins and needles.

Ive had pain injections in my back didnt work, iwas placed on co codomol 30/500 with amptripyline for night time.

Then a month ago my tabs stopped working so i went on butrans patches 15mg omg the pain is no better i want to take painkillers but all ive got are solpodeine can i take these with patches

• Posted

You seem used to painkillers so I doubt 100 mg of Tramadol will harm you :D People with back problems are often left suffering for years sad
    • Posted

Then you can add tremadol addiction.

Not good advice atall

• Posted

Hi, just an update: I went to the docs yesterday and she seemed very reluctant to give me anything....I could see myself on this torturous path until dr saeed returned-but after re-exploring all previous meds, talking about the relation of depression and pain, she prescribed 5mcg patches to up my dose to 15mcg a week.

Put the patch on at home n felt pretty spaced very quickly... Hub was in secret tears cuz he said I'd gone pale n glassy eyed.. I put it down to no sleep for 48 hrs. Anyway, I dropped off for two hrs and woke up feeling pain free (ish).... 80% at any rate.... Am soooo happy!

The relief has continued n I did manage 4 hrs sleep last night. In bed now for a nap, but so happy Iv got a break from the agony!

You were a help by answering my call, thank you so much... Feel free to share your experiences too, I'll always be grateful you took the time and effort to reply. Kindest regards x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.