Posted , 58 users are following.

recent blood test shows ESR 60 mm/hr what does this mean

6 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Vaithi,

According to Wikipedia...

ESR is The erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), also called a sedimentation rate or Biernacki Reaction, is the rate at which red blood cells sediment (Sink to the bottom of the test tube) in a period of 1 hour..

The mm/hr means millimeters per hour.

To discuss your actual result you need to talk to your Doctor

Best Wishes

• Posted

Here's a rule of thumb for a normal ESR

men - ESR given by age in years divided by 2

women - ESR given by age in (years+10) divided by 2

So, a woman my age 58 - would have a normal ESR close to 34. But 'normal' has a range either side of this.

I have lupus and take steroids and anti malarials and my last ESR was 33. This means it's under control and no further damage is being done to my internal organs. Without these drugs I was once 83 !!

• Posted

Hi,

Can you tell me this formula is given by doctor?

Because just recently i have checked my fathers (age 75) ESR and result was 53 & limit given 0-15?

Pls reply

Ashish Shah

• Posted

The usalu way of seeing if the ESR is age appropriate is:

ESR is a useful indication of the presence and intensity of an inflammatory process. It is not diagnostic of a particular disease. It rises with age and in anaemia.

Calculation of predicted value:

men - ESR given by age in years divided by 2

women - ESR given by age in (years+10) divided by 2

if your figures are significantly over, you are likely to be inflames in some way wink

Hope it helps

• Posted

Namaskaar,

My mother's age is: 62

Her ESR was 70 MM AT 1 HR. Then she took medicine and after 9 days it was again measured:

9 MM AT 1 HR. 

As per your calculation her avg should be: 36

Can you plz put your inshights on this.

Thanx.

• Posted

Yes it is ;-) It's the value given on the NHS website too http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=-966066110

This is a reference site for GPs. I think you said your father is 75. So his ESR should be around 38. At 53 (I think you said) his ESR is raised by about 13 points. Inflammation is there - but not so terribly.

• Posted

Thank you for your Kind reply.

Ashish Shah

• Posted

My wife suffered from rheumatoid arthritis,and was tested a lot of times,as a measure of inflammation,especially after she was put on a new drug.The highest that her esr test recorded was 130 and the lowest was 80.
    • Posted

Hi Danny,

How is your wife now ? How long it takes to cure it ? My mom is having 93 ESR right now. What other tests should we do ?

• Posted

Hi,

My age is 24 old woman and my ESR count is 53. I dont have any external inflammation. I am slightly anemic. Please reply.

-- Bani

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.