bowel prep and colonoscopy experience

Posted , 57 users are following.

Having scanned the internet to find out about other people's advice and experience, I want to let anyone facing a colonoscopy know what was like for me. It was absolutely okay. People say the prep is the worst part and it was a bit tiresome. I did a two and a half day special diet followed by clear fluids only and Picolax. It was nearly 48hrs without food but the Picolax wasn't as bad as I expected. In fact, I kept thinking it couldn't be working as I wasn't glued to the loo. I think the main thing is to prepare and plan for the prep and the procedure - making sure of having all the things needed for the prep diet and for during the clear fluids and then prep. Barrier cream (Sudocream) and moist loo paper were helpful, and having done 2.5 days of the low fibre, high carb diet must have helped as well. The only real problem I had was that I worried that the Picolax wasn't being effective enough so I went for my appt in dread that my bowel wasn't clear. But the nurse explained that as long as you go through the stage where you're passing just watery stuff, it's okay. And it was.

Re the procedure itself - I had a good consultant and the nurses on the Unit were very nice. Only problem was a mix up with the time of my appointment which left me waiting longer than anticipated. I felt sick with anxiety, little sleep and the after - effects of the prep on arrival. However, I asked to be given as much sedation and pain relief as possible and told them I was anxious. The sedation took the edge of things as did the analgesic but I could grab the Entonox when needed for the times when the doctor was steering the tube around the bends. It was over quickly and there was no point where it felt really awful at all. I watched progress on the screen and felt absolutely fine afterwards, although a little out of it from the sedation of course. So my advice to anyone facing this procedure is to carefully read all the info the hospital send you, contact the Unit if you're concerned about any aspect of the procedure or prep, and follow the instructions to the finest detail. And to plan ahead and get everything in house that you need and that will help you through the prep. And don't be afraid to let them know you're anxious - if you are. I hope this helps you if you are worried about having this procedure done - the whole thing really was okay and nothing like what I'd built up in my mind and from reading one or two horror stories on the web.

12 likes, 146 replies

146 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had my colonoscopy 3 weeks back, and my experince is quite good as well, it was straight forward, and was lucky that i did not have to waite long, as its very fustrating to waite after having nothing much to eat, so i was lucky. So there is nothing to worry about.
  • Posted

Thank you both for writing on here, I have to go for an colonoscopy on Wednesday and am terrified, like you

itsokay I will be about 48 hours without food and I think I have to have a day before that on the special diet, I haven't received my full directions yet just had a phone call so far so I hope it comes tomorrow, fingers crossed mine will go as smoothly as your did.

• Posted

hi,

please dont worry, its very simple and quck as well, i know 48 hrs without food is bit hard, but, its for the best result to come out. i had my coloscopy so far 3 times..but i was also worried 1st time..but now i am not and very confident, if i have to go again

all the best

nisha patel

• Posted

Hi.

Thanks for letting me know that, it makes me feel a lot better, I'm just afraid of the unknown I suppose, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

Christine

• Posted

Just to let you know that I had my colonoscopy today and it was fine, the prep day is the worst but even that wasn't as bad as I thought, the number of times I was tempted to cancel the test, I'm so glad I didn't, and it was found that I have diverticulitis and IBS so now I know what was causing my problems.
    • Posted

do you mind if I ask what your symptoms were, I am due for a colonoscopy in 2 days due to abdominal pain and being unable to stand or walk for anymore than 10 mins - terrified of the big C despite diverticulitis being mentioned
  • Posted

Thank u very much for u r feedback..well its always good to find out wats wrong in the body...

hope u r fine now.

all the best

nisha patel

• Posted

just got m appointment through for November and am glad I read these comments, have heard so many negative posts that I was getting really scared, I live on my own and have no family/friends nearby, all I kept thinking was 'how am i gonna cope alone. Reading these comments I feel a bit better about it all , thank you
  • Posted

I hope all goes well for you Brom, I'm sure it will, I had put it off for months as the GP wanted me to have one last Christmas but I put it off till March, but glad I had it done in the end.
  • Posted

Hi brom,

please dont worry at all, its very straight forward colonscopy, even i live alone and have no help, but always think positive and u will be there.

all the best.

nisha patel

• Posted

hi all thanks for the positive views as i am due to have a colonoscopy on Tuesday and very nervous so feeling better about the procedure - just the results to worry about now!
  • Posted

Thanks to everyone on this forum for helping with all of the worries surrounding colonoscopy,i hope you dont mind but my concerns are about my wife,she is waiting for the phone to ring for a colonoscopy,but she is very sore down there at the moment after an examination last week + going to the toilet 8 or 9 times a day, she is saying it will hurt too much and i am upset and worried about her,i have read that there is a vertual scan that she could have instead but i know that if they see anything she may still have to have the colonoscopy,has anyone done it this way?,

Best wishes, fred.

• Posted

Hi Fred,

I did think about having a virtual scan but when the appointment came from the hospital to have the colonoscopy I went with that, I think it is about £600 for the scan, not sure, but you still have to go through the prep which wasn't as bad as I was expecting neither was the colonoscopy, the times I put it off, for months the doctors were on at me to have it done, I wish I had gone for it in the beginning, it is uncomfortable but it doesn't hurt to that extent,I just had a brief moment went it felt a bit uncomfortable and the doctor did something and it was OK,. I was diagnosed with post infection IBS as I had had food poisoning a few months before,I hope you can persuade your wife to go, I am the worlds worst worrier and believe I did worry about having it done but so glad I did in the end. Good Luck

Christine

• Posted

Hi Fred,

Well, so far i had my colonoscopy 3 times, and its nothing to worry, i know one gets uptight, in the begining or the thought of it, i had mild sedative, and yes its a bit uncomoftbale, but it gets over in 20 mints. Its better to have it and find out wats the problem and deal with it.

All the best.

Nisha Patel

• Posted

thanks all had colonoscopy today - without sedation and was fine and all is fine

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.