Anyone NOT had any side effects on Citalopram?

Posted , 526 users are following.

Hi there,

After much deliberation, talking to just about anyone I could find and generally scouring the internet for information, I have decided to go with the Docs advice and take Citalopram, starting today. And then I found this site....

Has anyone NOT had any side effects on this? It is making me feel very worried about taking it. Am I just going to have to sit tight and presume the worst? Are there people who take it and dont feel nauseous and tired or even worse to begin with?

I would really appreciate any comments.

Thanks

M

38 likes, 5315 replies

5315 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, Ive been on Citalopram for four or five years, the only side effect i had was a headache, nothing serious like migraine, just a constant dull headache. No other side effects at all, and when i went back to the g.p. to get a higher dose, i had the headache again for a bout a week, but i still carried on working etc.

Honey

• Posted

I have been taking 10mg For Two Months now and I still have A Headache everyday. I feel much better but, I think i might need a higher dose. Did it help you?
  • Posted

Hello, I was prescribed Citroplam 20mg to take daily for stress/ anxiety related symptoms. I only took the tablet for 3days an experienced terrible side effects... I discontinued use cold turkey an expected this would be fine, but again experienced further withdrawls waiting for the drug to leave my system.

My side effects/ withdrawals were as follows...

* Extreme Constant Anxiety, unable to switch off or relax, pushing me to the verge of panic

* Insomnia, going from my usual 10hrs sleep per night to just 2hrs

* Vomiting, complete loss of appetite, only managing to keep down water, losing 10lb in weight in 1 week

* Horrible Constant Tingling sensation in my head, wish can only be described as the sensation Tea tree shampoo gives.

* Diarrohea

* Pins & Needles...

* Muscle tension... just to name a few...

I wish I would have looked into forums prior to taking this drug, as for me I seem to have experienced an extreme reaction, I would advise anyone who was contemplating taking this drug to be aware that if side effects become unbearable, to see there doctor or reduce the dose immediatly. As after looking into this drug further, Iv read that Citroplam has a half life, meaning it takes 35hrs for it to reduce in the blood stream by HALF its original does, and a further 35hrs more to reduce the remainder again... thats going on a single 20mg dosage. Its been 4days of withdrawals, an they seem to be subsiding... managed to eat and keep it down... But I would just like to say, this is my own personal experience... and have read & know people who have been fine & doing well with the drug... All I can advise is you never know how youl react till you try.

Good Luck!!

Wish you luck in whatever you decide.

• Posted

I had the same. I've taken two of these 20mg tablets and I've never felt so bad. My anxiety (which it's supposed to help) is through the roof and the nausea is the worst I've ever experienced. I was give seven zopiclone tablets to help me get some sleep but the nausea was too overwhelming. I've spent the night heaving in the bathroom. Terrible. Bank holiday weekend too.
    • Posted

Hi Katie,

I've been put on a low 10mg does of Citalopram and after taking for 2 days, I've experienced severe nausea all night tonight. I was told it sometimes makes symptoms worse for a week or so before it improves them so let's hope that's the case. It's sort of comforting to know others have the same side effects though.

• Posted

Hi Katie,

I've been put on a low 10mg does of Citalopram and after taking for 2 days, I've experienced severe nausea all night tonight. I was told it sometimes makes symptoms worse for a week or so before it improves them so let's hope that's the case. It's sort of comforting to know others have the same side effects though.

• Posted

I've been taking cit for about 6 weeks now and dr. has decided to put me on other meds. on reading the side effects I told my husband that rather than risk any of the said side effects i'd sooner put up with depression. I have had ibs for a number of years now but have gone a couple of years free of it it hasn't been a regular thing and I thought that it had just come back.  A couple of weeks ago I was really ill with diarrohea felt like I was going to pass out and i've never perspired like it it was literally running off of me. It came on again yesterday (not like the other day) and I said to my husband that I think it must be the tablets and not ibs because i've never had it so bad and i'd sooner put up with depression which is better than any side effects, so I have now come off them altogether.

• Posted

Hi there,

Slightly off the topic of the citalopram tablets, I read that ibs left you for a couple of years. I have been given these tablets to help deal with the anxiety that IBS has brought about, can I ask how you managed to get rid of the IBS symptoms or did it just go on its own?

• Posted

Hello Jonny, hope you're feeling a bit better. I gave up on my tablets because I had to pull myself together for a work trip and there's no way I could function with that level of nausea. I have an appointment with the GP when I get back but I'm afraid to try them again.
    • Posted

Hello Jonny, hope you're feeling a bit better. I gave up on my tablets because I had to pull myself together for a work trip and there's no way I could function with that level of nausea. I have an appointment with the GP when I get back but I'm afraid to try them again.
    • Posted

Hello I was precribed Citalopram10Mg for anxiety   and i had the same symptoms I too them for five days and i couldn't take the effects anymore so i quit taking them just like you i did yhe wrong thing i called my doctor and she gave me a low dosage of seraline 25Mg but i will not take this til i have the chnce to research the medicine i cant sleep either and i guess it will be awhile
    • Posted

Hi, I was prescribed 10mg of cit. because of side effects I had before decided to cut them in half for 10 days then I ct the end off 8mg for 5 days now on 10mg for 2 weeks found I coped better with side effects doc gave me 2mg of diazepan which I cut in half which helps on bad days build yourself up slowly. Takes longer but a bit easier.
    • Posted

Hello,

I was also prescribed this medication for the anxiety I get from my IBS. I know you posted this a while ago but did the medication help with your anxiety or your IBS?

• Posted

Hi. I'm also on this medication for anxiety from ibs but it's been only 3 weeks on 20mg so I'd be interested to know if it helps with the ibs. I am seeing some really positive times but have to give the medication more time for full effect.
    • Posted

Hey! I got RXed Citalopram due to anxiety with/causing IBS as well. How has it worked for you?
    • Posted

The anxiety and IBS are not something that can be cured with pharmaceutical drugs.  See a psychotherapist and get to the source of your anxiety and maybe an acupuncturist to help with the somatic stuff.  Western doctors have the gut all wrong and they only treat the symptoms not the causes--they end up making the situation worse!
    • Posted

I have been on Citalopram for about 5 years and WAS OK untill about 6 months ago then started to get loads of side effects.  Nausia, dizzy, no appetite etc etc.  Am trying to come off them and over the last 8 weeks have reduced from 20's to 10's with my Doctors help.  One of my problems is feeling tired all the time so spend approx 10 hours in bed asleep most of the time. I am ssurprised that a prescription drug has so many nasty side efects,  Good luck to you

• Posted

Hi Gloria, I've just read your post and I'd be really interested to know if you've managed to come off the citalopram? I've been on it for 10 years (40mg for first couple of years, then 30, and now 20mg for last 5 years) and really want to come off as I feel my body is struggling - tired, headaches, muscle weakness, nausea, brain fog - and I don't know if it's the citalopram but I think it's time to try to come off again. Any advice or learning would be greatly appreciated. 

• Posted

Have gone back on 20;s as I started to get panic attacks.  The only side effect I do not get is headache.  I have read that Citalopram is the one that more people come off of. I want to find one that has the least side effects. Will keep in touch if I have any luck.I do get some comfort from what I read here. Good luck Caroline.  
    • Posted

Hi Gloria

I've been on 20mg Citalopram since beginning of January. It's the second time I've been on them and the side effects this time are different. Definitely more anxious to start with but less nausea. I also had a sore throat and horrid taste I. My mouth for a few weeks. I get itchy palms from time to time. The worst is the throat flutter and occasional missed beat which I understand is part of palpitations. Do you or anyone else reading this experience similar?

• Posted

Yes, this is also my second round on these pills, been on 30mg now since November 27. And I am still struggling. Don't get me wrong I have more good days than bad. Last few weeks I tend to focus on these heart papilations and normally just scared the crap out of my self, that I am dying or something, with a heart attacks etc, lol u know the typical life of an health anxiety illness. I still seem to be tired, and I have this feeling in my chest right under the Brest bone in the centre bug me, people on here say it could be acid reflux but I never have the burning just the pain. Not bad pain just a dull ache enough to bug and and make u worry. I still get the sweats when I work my self up and over think. I honestly think the first time I Took these I had minor side effects and started working perfect in few weeks. This time I been really struggling, and seems like it's taking for ever to work.

• Posted

I dont know if the doc explained this too you but the first three days on the pill are the hardest after that youre fine. Yoh should have pushed thru it. I think 20mg was you high to begin with but yeah the 3rd day is the worst. I've been on it 4 years and have never experienced any side affects.

• Posted

Well I'm down to 10mg and all GOOD! I changed my diet (cleaned it up entirely) before I started and have had no problem decreasing doses. The only effect I've felt is more tired at each drop, so I just slept more (up to 11hrs a night!). I'm going to go for it now and try to come off them entirely.. wish me luck!

• Posted

Hi

I have had the worse side effects on this antidepressant than any other!

Nausea, massive panic attacks mostly mornings 4am awakening feeling agitated 😡 and overwhelmed by thoughts of bad thing happening!

No appetite at all. Cold and shivering. Headache and racing thoughts.

I've decided after 8 days I've had enough because I spent 4 weeks feeling like crap coming off Effexor.

Psychiatrist never said much just that I would feel like I have the flu on Citalopram for a few days! Pfft!

Puffy eyes and sinusitis.

Even had an endoscopy because I developed IBS AND SEVERE DIARRHOEA!

Don't trust these Quacks my life of 25 years on SSRI's has been a roller coaster of bad side effects - 20kgs heavier and a whole lot wiser.

Good luck to those who have had good things from them but my anxiety is better treated with Valium - they may be addictive but only side effects are euphoria and sleepiness.

I'm convinced we're all guinea pigs 🐷

• Posted

Hi, I started on 10mg in Sept 2017 and for the first time in a long time I was able to sleep through the night.   The only side effect I suffered was diarrhoea which lasted about 48 hours.  Following a breast cancer diagnosis in December 2018 the dosage was upped to 20mg per day and I have had no side effects.  This has really helped me.  I also supplement the tablets with Rhodiola Rosea, a natural remedy, which is also recommended when you come off citalopram.
    • Posted

I had this a couple of years ago - see your doctor and tell him/her exactly what you are experiencing. They put me on BetaBlockers for a couple of weeks until everything settled down.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.