Has anyone tried the banana skin thing on their verrucas...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Has anyone tried the banana skin thing on their verrucas? I used to get verrucas all the time as a kid but they would just disappear quickly. I also got a lot of warts of my fingers and knees and these disappeared with wart varnish stuff. However, as an adult, I have a very weak immune system which means I catch everything and wanting to avoid attending the doctors on yet another occasion, I decided to try natural remedies.

I have tried the tea tree oil on it every night and although I was quite positive to begin with, I soon gave up on this idea. I have a book on natural remedies which gives you all kinds of oils and herbs to try, but the two recent tips I have been given are as follows:-

Put a clove or crush a clove of garlic; place it directly onto the verruca and put a plaster over it immediately.

OR

Using the inside of a banana skin, either rub it over the verruca 2 or 3 times a day or cut a piece of banana skin large enough to cover the verruca and tape it over so it is completely covered (the verruca not the banana!.

It doesn't say how long to do this for (it was on the BBC website to from a loony as it sounds!) and it might get quite smelly, but at the end of my tether, I am going to put this to the test and was wondering if anyone else had tried it before?

Look forward to replies,

Bernie79

[i:bf323ba969]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bf323ba969]

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I've had several verrucae for a few years. I left them alone hoping that they would go away. They didn't so I tried every 'over the counter' remedy going and they still didn't go!. So I went to the Chiropodist and I've been having Cryotherapy (liquid nitrogen) for 10 months - every 3 weeks. It hurts like hell and I dread to think how much I have spent!! In desperation after my last treatment (it was so painful for days) I resorted to the banana skins at night, introducing tea tree oil on the 4th night. I take the skins off in the morning and I have also been dabbing tea tree oil on them in the mornings.I also attack them with a pumice stone twice a day. I started this 11 days ago. Although they haven't gone they are looking better every day. Try it - you have nothing to lose.

[i:c5b5b4e59d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c5b5b4e59d]

• Posted

I had a mosaic (a cluster of verrucas) which started as one on my big toe and just got larger and larger. I went to a podiatrist who froze and chopped at me, which was painful and expensive. Still they did not go. I then read about the banana skin remedy on the bbc website. I tried it cutting out small squares and taping over the verruca each night, then washing carefully each day and scraping with a pumice stone. 14 days later the pain had gone and the verrucas hardly noticeable. 1 month later you would never have known I had them at all.

[i:4f9d783d73]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:4f9d783d73]

• Posted

hi, my teenage daughter has a mosaic verruca 3 years now. I tried anything you can think of, acid, criotheraphy, laser, and nothing work. It's unreal. After 2 laser treatments the verruca is back there like if nothing happened. I never tried the banana peel and I'll give it a try now. Could you tell if it should be left on 24/day or if it should be left only at night.. and dry during the day? THank you for your post, I am still hopeful
  • Posted

The banana skins didn't really work for me. I'm trying garlic and also duct tape at the moment. (I have 3 different verruca sites on one foot. I beginning to think that I'll never get rid of them!! Any other ideas would be helpful.

[i:7bb703b6f4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:7bb703b6f4]

• Posted

Im writing this in hope of helping another person who has suffered with embarrassing warts. Here's my story..

Since the age of about 5years old i grew a small pea sized verruca type wart on my left hand inner palm near my thumb. From 10yrs old to 20yrs old i have spent a large unknown amount of money on over the counter wart removers (ie. Gels, freezers, bandages with gels). Ive tried cutting it off, duct tape, and tea tree oil with negative results. In my early 20s i spoke with my family doctor who tried using nitrogen (i think) to freeze the stubborn wart with negative results. He tried this painful treatment mayb 4 or 5 times before sending me to a dermatogist. The dermatologist was not only expensive but also used quite painful methods in a attempt to kill the wart. He attempted to freeze the warts with Nitrogen atleast 6 times before trying an electrical device that burned and left a large hole in my palm for weeks just to have the stubborn wart return after a month or two. He tried the electrical device 3 more times after that. Eventually the one wart became 3 and i was terrified that it would continue to multiply.

So here's the good news, At the age of 25, i searched youtube for alternative methods to kill the embarrassing now 3 warts. I found one that was quite simple and only required items that most people have at home. I gave it a shot and it worked!!! The pain is manageable and this method is pretty much free.

Warning: This is an extreme method. If you attempt this method and injure yourself i take no responsibility. Im simply explaining my story and what my experience was.

Here's what I used:

1) A heat source(I used the flame from my stovetop)

2) A fairly long nail or screw

3) Pliers that lock in place (Locking is helpful)

4) Bottle of disinfecting rubbing alcohol

5) Paper towels

Here's what I did:

I took the "head" part of a nail and used the locking pliers to clamp onto it. The sharp point of the nail was furthest away from the pliers handles. I held the sharp point of the nail over the stove top flame for several seconds until it was very hot. I placed my hand faceup on the kitchen countertop and then slowly placed the heated point onto easy wart. The nail will cool quickly so i reheated between warts. My warts were thick and to be honest i couldn't feel the heat from the nail for a while. The warts turned white and then black as i continued this process. The point on the nail allowed me to reach deep within the wart and burn those small black dots that, from what i have read, are actually the virus. Once i began to feel pain i handled as much as i could bear and then i stopped. I took the rubbing alcohol and poured some onto a papertowel. I was careful to be far from the open flame while handling the alcohol. I rubbed the alcohol covered papertowel over the treated area. There was a little bit of blood but not much.

The area stayed tender for about 2 to 4 days but the pain was far far less then what i experienced at the dermatologist. I was still able to work, my friends and co worker could hardly notice. Now to fast forward...

Its been almost a year since i self treated and there is no sign of the warts!!!! Hardly even a scar. I am happy to say im cured of those embarrassing ugly things that i have been dealing with for almost my entire life. I hope my story helps someone out there. I could of saved myself thousands of dollars if i tried this at an earlier age. Peace

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.