How is everyone doing doing on sertraline????

Posted , 42 users are following.

Just wanted to hear people's journeys, advice etc of taking sertraline. I myself have been on 50mg for 5 weeks and 1 day. My side effects lasted for 7-10 days and included loss of appetite, heightened anxiety, tense jaw, fatigue. I'm still not feeling where I want to be but much better than I was. How long did it take other people to feel like the old them?? 

6 likes, 136 replies

136 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi vikki i am on day 25 and last week I felt pretty good apart from a toothache not related. had a good family weekend but today woke up with headache and have had a couple of little anxiety wobbles. I need to keep reminding myself that I was given meds for anxiety and it won't just disappear but when it comes it frightens me again. today though I am dealing with it and carrying on so hopefully just a blip. gp said last week I can up to 100g if I need to but at Mo want to see how 50 mg works as still in first 4 was.
    • Posted

I felt good in week 3 but then I got flu and had a wobble with anxiety back and it's still there abit but not as bad. It's a slow one and a lot of people havnt felt better until week 6 or 8 or at the 3 month mark, so I'm giving it until week 8!then might up to 75mg but I am def hopeful as I do feel better.  I agree that it is prob just a blip for u and might be because of your toothache last week, like me having flu I hope u feel where u want to be soon and pls keep in touch of how your getting on on with it x
    • Posted

Had 50 mg then up to 100 because it was not doing anything. Now been on 100 for 9 months and coming off slowl . I went from stroke like symptoms to feeling wel . Told by my occupational health dr I would never work again now back in work and function tip top with no probs. It took about 10 weeks to work with spells of muzziness before then keep going
    • Posted

Hey Jon how long was u on 50mg for before u upped to 100mg? Glad your feeling better and proved everyone wrong, u should be very proud of yourself x
    • Posted

Hi Natalie... I hv just been prescribed Sertraline 50mg for depression but feel really nervous about taking it after reading some of the comments about side affects... I've been off work for six weeks due to an op but going back on Monday and worried the tablets side affects.. Do you have any advice and when is the best time to take them?

Thanks in advance....

• Posted

hi I have been on sertraline for sudden onset of severe anxiety which I had never had before Xmas. I had horrible side affects and some I could have handled if I knew at the time however I am 7 wks in fully back at work and feeling so much better. I have had a wobble today but have been on an upped dose for 11 days. I take mine in the morning with food. when I had no appetite I used to take drink yogurts to line my gut. hang in there hope it works for you
    • Posted

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly, I really appreciate it.. Glad it's working for you and positive steps hv been made if you're back at work:-).. Does taking it in the morning make you drowsy as thus would be my concern with giung back to quite a demanding job.. What are the worst side effects you have experienced, it's good to be forewarned.. Thanks for the tip about the yoghurt drinks too... :-)..
    • Posted

Hi Natalie... Feeling a bit spaced out and not sleeping well... Bad head today too... Feeling quite numb too... Wish I didn't have to take them to be honest. How are you? x
    • Posted

hold in there hun it will get better soon. I am having more good than bad but I am 8 wks in and 2 wks of that is on an upped dose x
    • Posted

Thanks Natalie...really helps being able to chat to you.. Will persevere and hopefully things will improve soon..
    • Posted

No worries hope you feel better soon x I am here if you need to chat I have found this site really helpful especially has I had never had ad meds before and it helps when people share their experiences ☺
    • Posted

Hi Natalie...had a bad day today with headache, feeling really sick, feeling low too worse ttan before I started taking them..! Hope it doesn't last long :-(.. This site has been a saviour.. It's great knowing you can talk to someone.. Hope you're ok hun..?
    • Posted

Hi janeylin, how long have u been taking them for and what dose. The start up side effects r horrid but should only last a couple of weeks. I know it's horrid but it means it's working and when it starts to level out u will have more good days than bad. Have u tried rescue remedy?? It really helped me get through the side effects. X
    • Posted

hi sorry to hear you feel rough today. It's horrible but honestly it will get better. day 6 was my worst. I am 8 wks in but 2 wks 3 days on upped dose of 100mg. since upping I have had a couple of wobbles but no where near as bad as when I first got anxiety. keep with it hun and try and keep busy it helps x 8 want back to the gym last week and did my first class today and that helped..
    • Posted

Hi Vikki..This is day 5 and feeling awful again with sickness and terrible headache.. I'm on 50mg for depression after an operation.. Just back at work this week and struggling.. Apart from paracetamol do you know if I can take any other painkillers as these headaches are awful! Thanks for the tip about rescue remedy, is there a particular type that I need? Really appreciate your help..x
    • Posted

Thanks Natalie..just really struggling at work with feeling so ill on them.. Paracetamol aren't touching the pain and the sickness has got worse today.. Thinking about halving my dose and perhaps taking it a lunchtime rather than mid morning to see if it makes any difference.. What do you think? Thanks again for listening...x
    • Posted

Hey Hun, so your only at the start then!! It does get worse before it gets better but should ease around day 7-10. I don't think u can take anything other than paracetomol, but u can take something for the sickness but u will have to ask the pharmacist. U can take any of the rescue remedys and take it as often as u need. It really worked wonders for me. I really feel for u that u  r at work and going through all of this at the same time. By next week the side effects should ease, but it could take abit longer for u to feel any benefits off sertraline. I started to have good days around week 3-5. I know it's hard and u will probably think they r not working and want to give up, but that is normal. Also I take mine at night just before I get into bed so maybe change the time u take it and see if that makes a difference. I wish u well and keep in touch of how your going x
    • Posted

hi personally if your a few days in then stick with it and it shouldn't gets any worse . maybe time out of work for a week or so if your feeling really rough. It does get better I had 2 wks off work when it started and I never normally have time off but I needed it. hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

Hi vikki how are you doing today ? I awoke in an anxious state this morning but has calmed down now. I have been to the gym. how are you
    • Posted

Hey nat, glad your feeling better now after the gym. Yeh I'm ok, have a few blips in the day but only for a few mins, the past 2-3 days I've had no anxiety. The sun has been out so I think it's helping with feeling more positive x
    • Posted

Yes just at the start and already feel like giving them up! I will try and persevere though and hope the symptoms subside quickly.. I nearly threw up at work today.. I don't get paid sick so hv to go in to work otherwise I wd hv taken some time off... I will check with the pharmacy about sickness tablets and will look at the rescue remedy too thank you... Think I will try taking them at night and see if it makes any difference too.. Thanks for your words of support...x
    • Posted

Thanks Natalie... I won't get paid if I take Tim off sick so struggling through as best as I can.. Can't believe how bad the side affects are.. Hope it's worth it in the end. ! Thanks again for your reply...x
    • Posted

hi janeylin how are you feeling now your a few days further in? I am now 9 wks in and 3.5 weeks on the upped dose of 100mg. feeling ok have massive appetite though which is crazy as when the anxiety hit I had no appetite . hope your doing ok ☺
    • Posted

Hi Natalie... Sickness and headaches have stopped thankfully but have terrible heartburn for most of the day, feel very tired and a bit numb too... Really hope this is all worth it as people say.. How are you getting on with the higher dose? Feel like I've put weight on too but ciuod be cos I'm not so regular as I normally am...! Thx for messaging to see how I am :-)..x
    • Posted

I know you posted this a year ago I've been on SERTRALINE (Zoloft) for 29 days have felt like I'm going nuts .... Anxiety is much higher and has not ceased only increased. Could you check your bottle and tell me the name of the manufacturer you use and let me know pleaseeeeee. I ask because your story enlightens me ... I read some bad stuff on the manufacturer I use so I was hoping to find out who yours is??? It sucks I'm taking benzo meds now too just to handle anxiety increase from Zoloft / SERTRALINE. If you could please let me know who your manufacturer is shown on bottle.
    • Posted

Hi.. I am 26 yrs old and I have suffered with anxiety and panic attacks for over 3 years I was trying to handle this on my own but I couldn't... My Dr. Put me on Zoloft 25mg... I am on my 6th day... I feel like I can't breathe I have heart flutters I'm a little shaky I'm tired all the time I don't want to do anything just lay in bed is this normal... My Dr keeps saying minimum 4-6 weeks to see the effect..I don't know what to expect with this med... It took me ALOT to even start zoloft... Please help!

• Posted

Hi John

Just wondering when you say stroke like symptons cajoled you give me more info I have health anxiety & been getting a lot of numbness so now on setraline .

• Posted

I know this is an Old post but did you ever feel better taking Sertraline?
    • Posted

I am on day 5 of 50mg I myself am having stroke like symptoms and feel like my head is going to explode how is everyone else feel

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.