Clarithromycin - appetite loss etc

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have just (I hope) taken my last pill in my 7 day course of this antibiotic.

It has made me  lose my appetite completely but I have force-fed myself as it is so important to eat I know. Apart from this the drug made me feel slightly dizzy (too strong a word really but something along those lines). The cough, for which the drug was prescribed, has gone but I am staggered at how bad it has made me feel these last 6 days. I hope for improvement tomorrow onwards!! Maybe I should have gone back to my doc and told him and changed to an alternative - but I hope the worst is over........

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hope you are feeling better now Chris. I have had this antibiotic twice in the last year and it made me really ill. I felt like someone had poisoned me!!. Found out it can interact with other meds. I have been told that I cannot take it again. Trouble is it is fantastic at clearing up my chest infections!
    • Posted

Hi Beverley,

That's so kind of you and thank you for replying - I am somewhat better but, guess what!, the doctor wanted to be really sure that the bug had gone and started me on Erythromycin two days ago! They were just as bad so I stopped them and am seeing him tomorrow - I would like Amoxicillin as I have had that before without a problem! The Clarythro stuff IS good but I could never feel that bad again trying to make myself well!. Take care and thank you again for being in touch! Chris

• Posted

You're welcome Chris!  Hope you get something from the Dr's that agrees with you.

Best wishes.

Bev

• Posted

I've lost over a stone in weight since I've been taking clarithromycin. 

Not exactly how I was planning to loose weight.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.