Cure for Unbearable Pruritus Ani

Posted , 5 users are following.

At the beginning of November 2014, I began to have an itchy anus. It started unbearable, and continued to be more and more unbearable as time went on. Convinced it was hemmorhoids, I tried every home remedy I could without alerting my parents ( I was 17 then, now 18, still living at home). I tried Vitamin E, Vaseline, Ice packs, and Tucks pads, none of which really provided any lasting relief. Yesterday, as I sat in my room in pain, unable to even leave the house due to my ferociously pulsing anus, I had a revelation. I suffer from mild seasonal allergies, and took Allegra, Benedryl and Claritin regularly from September to the beginning of November (I'm American, and for clarification, these are OTC allergy medications).

Anyway, right around when I started to take these things, I ordered Kirkland Brand Fish Oil, a very low quality brand, as it was also the cheapest by far. I have been taking it since mid-September. I also have a shellfish allergy, but I assumed the fish oil wouldn't kill me, so I continued to take it. After I stopped my regimen of Allergy pills is when my Pruritus Ani began. I did not make this connection until last night. I then took 3 Benedryl, providing me with almost instant relief. Now I woke up this morning on the longest streak of anal comfort since November. 

My point is, my pruritus ani was caused by the Fish Oil, and I am now stopping my regimen and praising the Lord for having provided the mental clarity that allowed me what will perhaps be long-lasting relief. I encourage anyone with problems similar to mine to eliminate any supplements that coincide with the beginning of your symptoms. 

Also, let it be known that the information available on the internet may distract you from realizing the true origin of your affliction. I missed the forest for the trees, so to speak, because I assumed my problem was Hemmorhoids, not my diet or supplement intake.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I will also update in a week to confirm that this was indeed the cause.
  • Posted

Thank you Sean, I will try Benadryl and see what happensbiggrin
  • Posted

In my opinion, you can keep peri-anal skin intact, dry and clean. Avoid prolonged contact with damp substance. Nevertheless, you should consult a doctor first. How can you be so sure that its Hemmorhoids?  Does Benadryl work for Hemmorhoids? Visit a doctor to get rid of your condition. 
  • Posted

I had an itchy bottom for years. Doctor gave me a Thrush ointment and after 18 months my Chemist said that I should only use this one tube a months supply as it will be going into my body, so he refused my next request. I went back to my Doctor, told him, and was given another anti fungal treatment ointment. After a further 18 months my Chemist said that this should only be applied for a short time and refused to give me anymore. told me to see my Doctor. Without an ointment my anal area was a raging torment and I went into the shower and projected it upwards to cool me down. My anus must have been wide open because I had filled my bowl with water and had to dash to the toilet to relieve to pain. I cleared my bowl! I then went back into the shower and filled my bowl once more and then emptied my bowel. From that moment on I had cured the itch. I had always maintained that my itch was my bowel passing acids and scalding my anus. I was right! The itch never returned.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.