Hiatal Hernia & Gastric Volvulus Op looming...scared

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am having an operation on Wednesday to repair my hernia and to untwist my twisted stomach (yay). I am having to have open surgery and I am scared as my consultant was a bit over dramatic. I had major (and I mean major) surgery over two years ago and recovered pretty well (I was out of hospital in 9 days) so I am hoping this won't be as bad.

I wondered if anyone had any POSITIVE experiences to share with me! There are so many negatives here that it makes me feel 100% worse! (I know the web can be like that but...)

I am 55 and on long term warfarin but otherwise in good health.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,ilovepodge,Hope everything goes well for you.I too have only heard bad news about the op so would love to know how you get on as I,m thinking if things don,t improve I might go down that road myself.I,m not in any pain but constantly got this bloated nauseus feeling in the centre of my chest,waiting to have another endoscopy to see if there is any other problem.Good luck on wednesday.
  • Posted

Will be thinking of you tomorrow , I have a 9cm hernia which twists and is stuck in my chest.  I am on a surgeons list who has told me he does not know if he can do it by keyhole.  I am very apprehensive of an open operation, as I do not want to end up in a worse position.  At the moment I can only eat small amounts as food seems to only get to the top part of my stomach, then I get bad pains in my shoulders and stomach. I will be interested to hear how you get on, I was told even the keyhole is a major operation, on a par with what !  Everyone seems reluctant to give an honest opinion and advice.

good luck tomorrow 

• Posted

Hi,ilovepodge;  I do hope that all goes well for your op; Im sure that your drs would -not have recemanded it if not really the best course of action in your case.

Everyone is different, so keep smiling and it will soon be behind you and life can move on.

I am just going to try controling my diabetes and hope that will have a good effect on the herina I am sure we would all like to know how you get on, so keep us posted when you can.

GOOD LUCK.

linda84156

• Posted

Lovepodge,I had this surgery in October. Mine wasn't open though but laparoscopic. I feel so much better now. You have to have the surgery and you need to trust your surgeon . That isn't easy to do but he has done this surgery many times. I wish you the very best . Please let us know how you get on. I will be thinking of you. 

Judy

• Posted

Hope all goes well. I'm sure it will be fine. Would love to know how it goes for you. Take care x
  • Posted

Home after the operation and in a lot of pain. Shuffling to and from the loo is about it for now!  However I can eat small amounts of food without pain or nausea and everything seems fine.  Apart from the staples and the slightly seeping wound (oh Joy).  They are viewing me as a total success...
  • Posted

Hi, ilovepodge,  Glad to hear your op. went well, and now its just a question of time to heal. please keep us updated with your progress, I wish you well and hope you recover very quickly.

I have just found that if the pain comes after trying to eat; if I lie down on my left side for about 20 minutes it helps to ease more quickly than anything-else. I dont know if this is just me or if it could help anyone-else.

Keep smilling!!!!

Linda84156

• Posted

How did you get a surgeon to do your repair and how did it go?

2 volvulus's and hiatel hernia

49 year old fenale with copd and fibromyalgia and surgeons says my intestines un knot so no need to operate

Mothly er trips due to volvulus and vomiting

Thanks joyce

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.