Losartin Potassium

Posted , 73 users are following.

Hi I would love to hear from any one who is on Losartin Potassium for High Blood Pressure. I am a very fit 56yr old who is working in a professional job that needs a clear head and plenty of energy. However after three years of constant anxiety I was diagnised as having high Blood Pressure following three weeks of serious nose bleeds, and was prescribed Amlodopine. This worked well on lowering my blood pressure but had such bad side effects that I finally persuaded my GP to stop them . I am now taking Losartin Potassium 25mg and where as the side effects are not as bad as with the Amlodopine ,I am still experienceing severe tiredness and feel muddled and confused at times. I have only been on them for a week now and have to go back to my GP in three weeks time, but even though I am back in work I am not functioning the way that I should be. I would appriciate it if I could hear from any one else who is on this medication because I have gone from a very active person to one who is struggling to get through the day . Thank you

9 likes, 219 replies

219 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Stacy i have been taking 100mg about one year now i have Chornic Kidney Disease i have been on Amlodipine did not like them i get tired all the time take care Hoggie
    • Posted

Did you get the kidney disease from losartin? I have been taking it for a week and t he only side effect so far is frequent urination
    • Posted

Creatinine increase with Losartan Potassium

100 mg a day of losartan potassium increased my creatinine marker from 164 to 193. So watch out if you have kidney problems ! My local surgery - for years - has been telling me Losartan is good for the kidneys ......but probably not for me !?

• Posted

Hi Colin

Until recently I had been on 50mg Losartan Potassium daily for about 2 years.  My creatinine quickly rose from normal (49.00-90umol/L) to around 110.  My renal consultant told me that they expect to see a rise on this drug and weren't concerned about 110, although a couple of years previously Candesartan had been stopped for the same reason.  However, I am particularly sensitive to side effects from medication and now the consultant is desperate to find something to get my high BP down so that my kidney function doesn't drop any further as a result.  The Losartan was doubled to 100mg in divided doses twice daily about 3 weeks ago when Doxazosin had to be stopped (skin biopsy showed that the two medications together was the cause of a 24 hour all over body itch.  My first blood test after 10 days of doubling the Losartan showed an increase in creatinine from 110 to 119 and an increase in urea to 12.9 (normal range 2.50-7.80).  My latest eGFR result was 39 (CKD 3b).

What I would like to ask is 1) whether your creatinine jumped from 164 to 193 over a very short term on Losartan 100, or whether it was a slow increase over a longer term;  2) did the Losartan 100 normalise your BP;  3) what medication has replaced Losartan?

I do hope things have improved for you creatinine-wise.

You may not get a reply from Hoggle as the post was over a year ago.

• Posted

Exactly the same happened to my father he was told Losartan was best medication ever. Within 10 weeks of use his creatinine went from 157 to 275. 6 weeks after stopping Losartan his creatinine dropped to 233 not back to what it was but definitely better. He now on amlodipine 5mg.
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O - Long story. My high blood pressure goes back to 2002. The first drug tried was Enalapril, which gave me a 2 hour `looose bowel' ! (I am a Coeliac though) After that I went onto Amlodipine until about 2006, when my creatinine and BP started to take off. Since then all the BP drugs* have been thrown at me, at max dosage, with fairly marginal effect :-(   {* Losartan Potassium, Indapamide, Lercanidipine, Doxazozin } However, last summer I had a minor stroke, now mostly recovered. Blood tests around that time gave a creatinine of 185-200.  I did a web search and, off my own bat, knocked off the Losartan 4 days before a blood test. The GP seemed amazed that the creatinine result was a 164 ! At a stroke follow up I mentioned this to the young Consultant - who then heard  a `bruit' in a proably a renal blood vessel. Tests continue on this aspect. This may, or may not, be the cause of my high BP and declining renal function ! We shall see.

Regards.

• Posted

Colin, Snap!  Over the last couple of years I've been on Amlodipine, Candesartan, Diltiazem, Ramipril, Indapamide, Bisoprolol, Doxazosin and Losartan, the latter now increased from 50mg to 100mg.  I have also got a prescription for Moxonidine.  Haven't started it yet as I'm waiting to see whether the increased dose of Losartan will bring back the daily 24 hours itch from head to toe which, according to skin biopsy and dermatologist, was caused by Doxazosin triggering the side effect in the Losartan.  Still a couple of itchy areas from time to time but can live with that if it doesn't get any worse.  I've yet to summon up the courage to take my blood pressure but will have to monitor it in the next week or so before my next appointment with the renal consultant.

It would be wonderful if your young consultant who heard the bruit has hit on something which can be treated.  I remember my renal consultant mentioning a bruit in one of my legs at my first consultation but he didn't seem concerned about it and I didn't pursue it - perhaps I should have done, but perhaps it was just due to a leg vein.

Lots of good luck wishes to you with your ongoing investigations. 

• Posted

Hi, MrsO - thank you for the kind words. Firstly, I am quite an `allergic' type. Also like you, I have had the `drive you round the bend' itching, and some eczema. This was after 4 months on Clopidogrel 75 mg, an anti clotting drug, prescribed after my minor stroke last Summer. And yes I was taking Losartan 50 mg and Doxazozin 4 mg at the time. Right now I am off Losartan, and have been switched to 75 mg aspirin for the clotting side of things. Also, I have a high quailty (£60) `Testo' hygrometer, and with the cold weather, the internal house humidity has been down to 30 to 35%. ie pretty `dry', which does not help with dry, itchy skin. I mention the quality/cost of the hygrometer as some of the cheaper ones are very inaccurate.

Anyhow, all the best with your BP meds. Regards, Colin

• Posted

Thank you, Colin. Are you sure the itching was due to the Clopidogrel and not the Lodartan together with the Docazosin as in my case? Our son is on Clopidogrel and statins following a stroke a few years ago....at the age of just 39! A healthy, fit young man who played tennis, league football and went to the gym. No cause was found - just a slightly enlarged ventricle which was subjective, i.e. he may have been born with it. Luckily, bodily he is fine but unfortunately his eyesight was affected to the point that the DVLA say he doesn't meet their guidelines. Still plays tennis and his job involves the computer, so blessings well and truly being counted!

For your dry, itchy skin, I recommend just Dermol instead of soap in the shower and also to moisturise with afterwards.

• Posted

Hi Mrs O. No not totally sure. But I had been on Losartan 100mg and Doxazozin 2mg for 2 or 3 years .... maybe 4 mg was over a threshold?  Itching is on the Clopidrogel side effects list though. As for statins, they cause me muscle aches; I knocked them off, Doc was not surprised.... Of the people I know, about 50% have issues with statins. The other 50% - no issues. Thanks for the Dermol info. Regards, Colin

• Posted

My GP is one of the lucky ones who takes statins and runs marathons.
    • Posted

Colin, yes perhaps the increased dose of Doxazosin triggered the itching side effect, but if itching is also listed for Clopidogrel, then who knows? Perhaps it was even a combination of the three. However, if the itching mostly ceased after stopping the Clopidogrel, then you found the answer for you.

I was taking Losartan 50mg quite happily for a couple of years (the only pill that didn't produce any discernible side effects) but it failed to have any effect on my blood pressure so various other pills were added in succession - all caused problems even at very low doses. Doxazosin was added a year last Christmas and I became aware of a daily (usual evening) itch shortly afterwards. I had known that itchy skin can be a symptom of low kidney function so I mentioned it to my renal consultant at my next appointment but he just shrugged his shoulders. It then gradually escalated and drove me mad day and night. Thank heavens for the dermatologist and the skin biopsy....and thumbs down to the renal registrar who told me I should not assume that the itch was caused by the BP pills when I told him the dermatologist suspected they were the cause whilst waiting for the biopsy!

Yes, many people experience muscle pain with statins. I'm involved with a lot of sufferers with an inflammatory autoimmune condition, some of whom are convinced they succumbed to the illness soon after commencing statins. I hate to think what my reading is after my indulgences over Christmas!

• Posted

Did you see the dermatologist NHS or privately ? My GP and NHS dermatologist when I mention my itching both say to take an antihistamine. With my enlarged prostate it would very likely cause retention so I refused.  
    • Posted

Derek, I had no choice but to see him privately.  I also took antihistamine but not the ones bought over-the-counter - they didn't touch the itch.  I was prescribed a strong antihistamine by the GP which I took for 2 months, just trying to get by on the lowest dose because, like you with your prostate problems, I felt concerned about the effect they may have on my kidney.  After the GP's antibiotic creams and lotions and potions achieved nothing, she wanted to refer me but said there was an 18 week wait.  I'd had enough after a few months of the worst itch ever with little sleep and I was desperate for relief so I got a letter of referral from her and saw a dermatologist at a private hospital in Windsor.  Quite a small monthly payment is involved and, if they agree the request, they allow so much money towards one private consultation and a follow-up and any tests/investigations involved up to a maximum amount - in this latter case, they allowed up to £1,500, with the advice to get all blood tests done through GP first so that the huge cost of those doesn't eat into the allowance.  I didn't use that amount on this occasion, but it is such a comfort knowing that they are there when it seems nigh on impossible to get NHS consultations in under 3 months these days.  I thoroughly recommend the scheme.

• Posted

Sorry Derek, you will have to wait for my reply as the moderators probably didn't like the fact that I mentioned a company name.

• Posted

The first BUPA dermatologist I went to many years ago said that he would sooner that I didn't wash at all.

• Posted

I do wonder if the increasing cocktail of drugs that I take causes some pretty obscure interactions .........especially as I am in my late 60's.

• Posted

You can check out all your drugs for compatibility on the drug website - can't give the link here or it will disappear for moderating! Also, the best place for advice is a good pharmacist who will check them all out for you - they know so much more about drugs than GPs.

• Posted

How very unhelpful, Derek. Did make me giggle though! I must admit that I think most of the soaps and shower products are quite unkind to the skin these days - so many additives in the way of perfumes, SLS, parabens etc.
    • Posted

Actually I did not pay him! He had a lot of patients waiting and he kept me waiting for about three hours. No bill came and I thought that he had been ashamed to send it. Over a year later it came with a letter saying they his PA had not realised that I was 'Self Pay' and had sent the request for payment to BUPA. who had just sat on it.

I phoned him and said that I thought that he had not sent it due to the long wait. He said that he gets all the files in time order and calls the patients in from that. I told him that when I spoke to his secretary for about the third time I noticed my file in her tray on her desk and pointed it out to her.

He asked in light of that would I be prepared to pay half the amount.  I agreed but the amended bill never came.  

• Posted

That's a result, Derek! Worth the 3 hour wait! Perhaps in the end he didn't have the nerve to send it after that long - or perhaps he didn't need the money......just a new secretary!!!

• Posted

I've not heard of a scheme like that.

When we lived in Scotland I had been quoted three years for an NHS appointment. 

• Posted

Derek, hubby seems to remember seeing on some paperwork that it's about £7.50 per person per month to join at present. We pay something over £20 a month but that includes our son still even though he's long since flown the nest and has his own cover. But, as I said in my earlier post, we have been members for years - around 40 years.

• Posted

I could probably not join now as like travel insurance they take age and health into conisderation. I had heard of them in the past but not recently although most dentists have such schemes.
    • Posted

The next one I went to see was better and an instant diagnosis for a practically all over rash. 'Drug induced rash, are you taking Lisinopril' 'Stop it and it will be gone in three weeks'

Either smart or my GP had listed my medications in his letter. He said that I had not had much out of the consultation so as an extra he referred me to his NHS clinic for allergy testing and a follow up appointment at it. That was when I found that I was slightly allergic to cinnamon and very allergic to formaldehyde. 

• Posted

Well,after my recent itch/rash experience and hearing about your experience on Lisinopril, I will now know to avoid that if it's offered.  I'm ok with cinnamon, turmeric etc, but know that I'm allergic to the antibiotic, Neomycin.  Luckily, someone advised me that it's in the shingles vaccine and I'm so grateful for being forewarned to avoid that vaccine as I don't trust the surgery to pick up on it!

• Posted

Correction! I just checked my list and it was Enalapril that caused the rash. Lisinopril was the one that gave me the classic swelling of my throat and lips. Actually I have had a problem with ever 'pril' prescribed.. Ramipril and Perindopril.

I used to take Turmeric but had to stop it as it does not go with Warfarin.

My doctor turned up his nose at the way I used to take Turmeric. I sprinkled it on my cereal and put a spoonful in my hot milk at night.  

• Posted

Latest Creatinine is 187, up from 164. Doc has recently put me on Aspirin 75 mg and Omeprazole 20 mg. Trouble is 187 gives a GFR of 31, which is borderline for using contrast media in an MRI scan. Anyone else been in similar situation ? (my BP meds are Indapamide 2.5 mg, Lercanidipine 20 mg, and Doxazosin 4 mg) Regards to all.
    • Posted

Not unusual that a doctor "turned up his nose" at the mention of turmeric - it's rare for one to accept that an alternative therapy might just work.

• Posted

Colin, there is one contrast medium that can be used in an MRI scan more safely than another where kidney disease is an issue.  However, I'm sorry I can't remember which contrast my renal consultant recommended.  I wonder if the National Kidney Federation helpline can help you here?

You're lucky if you can take Omeprazole - my bowel reacted adversely to a couple of the 'zoles' in spite of the fact that they were prescribed to actually protect my stomach from long term steroids at the time.  'Live' yoghurt did the job beautifully for me, plus a few squeezes of lemon juice in warm water as my first drink of the day.

Indapamide caused quite a large drop in my eGFR in just a couple of weeks and had to be stopped, so do check that that isn't an issue for you.  And, as I've mentioned before, my Doxazosin has recently been stopped due to the unbearable body itch it caused when added to Losartan.  But then, I am my renal consultant's "awkward patient"!rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Mrs O - yes, I have been told that I am a `complex' patient. Mind you, the Sister on the stroke ward last summer said that  I `looked pretty good' despite that `complex' description!  I nearly gave her a hug, but thought that would have been entierly non PC !!  Hey Ho, life is such a lottery, especially with Health issues.

• Posted

Mrs O. I was on Pantoprazole for about 5 years quite a while ago. Then I developed sore breasts - it took 6 months to remove one drug at a time - Pantoprazole seemed to be the cause. I was switched to Ranitidine, which stopped the soreness, but was recently put back on Omeprazole for a trial .......
    • Posted

He was actually for it but did not like my way of taking it. He is quite open minded on some alternative treatments and medications.
    • Posted

Colin, I do know others who take Omeprazole without any problem, so hopefully that will be your experience too.  But do have the 'live' yoghurt I mentioned - it's wonderful for lining the tummy.  Manuka honey is also good for any esophagus problems, though very expensive.

• Posted

Then perhaps he just didn't fancy his cereal and milk being 'tainted'!  We add it to all suitable meals such as casseroles, risottos, etc - my neighbours sprinkle it on their porridge.  Everything in moderation though.

• Posted

Any particular live yoghurt? Manuka honey put my blood glucose off the scale. My then GP asked how long I had been diabetic.
    • Posted

Oh that isn't good good that Manuka honey interfered with your blood glucose levels.  How much were you having?  It's strange because I know someone with diabetes who has a daily teaspoonful of Manuka honey without worsening her sugar levels. Perhaps it doesn't affect those already diabetic and on treatment - who knows?

Really, all yoghurt is 'live' but they can have slightly different good bacteria ingredients.  I have a fat-free version, sugar-free (apart from the natural lactose) from yeo valley.

• Posted

I get the Yeo Valley one as well. I have always eaten yoghurt so with my ongoing stomach problems it has never helped me. Asda have one that is supposed to be good as also less sugar content but Asda is not convenient to get to. H & B had one but they stopped stocking it and when they did have it was sold out quickly.

I only took about half the recommended quantity of Manuka as it was rather sickly to take before meals. When we were in NZ much of the scenery we passed was boring Manuka forest.

My then GP said that I was glucose intolerant but the rules are now changed and only T2 exists for my readings. My readings are only slightly over the top, well down from the Manuka 14 mmol/l it was in 2004.

• Posted

If I have porridge I add both the yoghurt and a small teaspoon of Manuka 15 into it, otherwise I just have the Manuka mixed into the yoghurt - the latter when I have muesli.
    • Posted

For acid reflux you had to take about two tablespoons of it half an hour before a meal to coat the esophagus. One was enough for me.

I think that it was the Daily Mail that said there is a lot of fake and mislabeled honey about.

• Posted

Crikey, much too expensive to take two tablespoons!

Of course there must be plenty of fake Manuka out there these days.  When I first started buying it some 20 or more years ago, there were only two different brands on the shelves in H&B, now there are loads.  Interestingly, the original brands are now sky high prices, whereas all the later additions are so very much cheaper - fake?  Maybe.  It should have UMF (Unique Manuka Factor) on the jar which guarantees the anti bacterial strength of the contents.

• Posted

Aldi now have an economy brand at £7.99.

But prices could soar on news from NZ this week.

"The big news of the day was the pretty disappointing profit warning from Comvita," said Brad Gordon, investment adviser for Hobson Wealth Partners. Comvita ended down 17% at $6.50. Earlier Monday the manuka honey products maker warned annual earnings will tumble by about two-thirds as the nation's unseasonably wet and windy weather saps the honey harvest and slow sales via China's informal trading channels"

• Posted

Does the Aldi one have the UMF logo on the jar?

Can't believe Comvita might have another price increase- it's already through the roof.

• Posted

Dear MrsO. Long time since we had a `chat'. After much faffing around with various bits of the NHS, I have been diagnosed with `bilateral renal stenosis' ie the plumbing from my aorta to my kidneys is partially blocked, on both sides. Hence the high creatinine readings, and also my high blood pressure, as the kidneys have `feedback' to the heart. A low blood flow through the kidneys means they ask for more blood to be pumped, hence causing high blood pressure. I am awaiting a stent procedure, but have concerns that they might want to put me back on Clopidrogel, which I suspect last November caused me major skin irritation and  rash - I was then put on 75 mg aspirin, and the rash resolved after 10 days. I remain off Losartan, but they did try Bisoprolol - I came off that after a month as I felt dreadfully tired on it. Hey ho - more consultations await me :-(

• Posted

Hi Colin, well it's good to hear that it sounds as though they have got to the bottom of things with you and that there is a remedy.  As far as Bisoprolol is concerned, I had to come off that too as it caused a significant drop in my sodium levels leading to awful fatigue.  Lots of good luck wishes for the forthcoming surgery - wouldn't it be great if at least you no longer needed treatment for high BP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.