cystoscopy and scared

Posted , 7 users are following.

i am a 50 year old male and having a cystoscopy tomorrow 12/02/15 and have to admit i am terrified of having it done and the results.i started having blood in my urine (non visible)a few months ago and only went to the doctors with a pain in my lower back and gave a urine sample which determined blood in my urine so he sent me to have an ultrasound and everything came back normal however there was still blood in my urine so im having the dreaded cystoscopy,if it is not cancer what could it be?can anyone put my mind at ease please?andrew 

0 likes, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nowadays a cystoscopy with a thin flexible tube and bit of deadening gel is painless and over in three minutes. Watch it on the screen and ask questions about what you are seeing. When I first had a cystscopy in 1983 they did it with a rod about as thick as a walking stick and had to put you under to do it.

I take it that the blood is not visable to you but just shows up on a dipstick test. Did no infection show up in your urine tests?  

• Posted

Hi derek76

You are absolutely correct as I still go through the same procedure after the bladder cancer.

The cancer treatment was also pain free and I am now fighting fit afterwards.

I must apologies to you as I didn't realise that I spelt your name wrong in my reply to andrew79570.

• Posted

hi derek no infection but if the truth is known i bet i have had blood in my urine for 12 months as it is nearly always tea coloured unless i drink many pints of water.thank god im not having what you had done
    • Posted

What I am thinking of as well is there any chance of being an anaemic? Apart from that the other possibility's could be either a liver or kidney infection/stones.

What are your thoughts?

• Posted

We have a friend who had bladder cancer and was treated about six years ago. He sailed through the treatment although he has needed to have later laser treatment. 
    • Posted

I several times had burst blood vessels in my prostate. The blood from that cleared up in a few days.  I have twice had laser surgery to reduce the size of my prostate... easier than going to the dentist:-)

It is growing again and I'll be having another cystoscopy next month. 

• Posted

That is quite true derek76. Throughout all of my bladder cancer treatment, I was pain free and believe Andrew has nothing to be worried about at this time.
    • Posted

As they say there is nothing to fear except fear itself.
    • Posted

That is why I never worry.

Worry causes stress and stress causes poor health.

So unless the doctor has said anything that is serious enough, then why worry.

When I was told for the second time that I have cancer, I didn't worry as I was told that it was treatable. So panicking over treatment is not worth it as you know that it will benefit you.

• Posted

I was told that I had an 18% chance of not surviving my heart surgery. I went into knowing that it was out of my hands and that worrying would not help me. The alternative was death in the next year. 
    • Posted

And the best thing is that derek76 is here to help other's which is great news.

yet before surgery I but the consultant also said that it is a routine operation. And with all surgery there is an element of risk.

My recent operation on my right foot which I know that it is not the same thing, but I had a high risk that it would not have worked as it was the third attempt to save my foot through diabetes. I am still recovering now and yet my surgery was Dec 9th last year.

But once again, it is great news that you are doing well.

• Posted

I will be 49 this year.

But over the years I have had several operations inc;

Both knees replacements'

All toes pinned back into place

both ankles broken and reset and screwed into correct position.

cancer twice, (mouth and bladder cancer)

Along with diabetes and an enlarged prostate and CMT (Charcot Marie Tooth Disease)

• Posted

I've been told thart I will need a knee replacement one day. Hip? One surgeon said that he does not like doing replacements on those who have had heart valve replacements another said that he could replace my hip but he that I would later go back to him and say that it had not solved my problem. Bot are intermittent and can go for weeks without a problem.

My toes have stiffened up and are painful and causing numbness in my feet when walking but podiatrist says that operation wouldsd not help.

• Posted

This I agree with you, that is why I remain positive and take things as they come.
    • Posted

My nickname is android. It seems to have stuck, which I don't mind.
    • Posted

I don't know if I have heard it right, but could they do the hip operation, first with a local and then with a nerve blocked?
    • Posted

Yes they can and even under hypnosis. My father had a brain operation to help his Parkinsons Disease without a GA as they needed him to respond and make movements. He did not enjoy the sound of the driil. Same applies to the sawing and hammering for a hip operation.
    • Posted

Have you thought of putting this idea to your surgeon?
    • Posted

Hynosis? No. Back in the 60's a woman who worked at the same company had dentstry and her baby under hypnosis. There was some reason that she could not have other types of anaesthesia
    • Posted

But a LA is for the local area and the nerve blocker will numb the complete leg so that you don't flinch during surgery. I enjoyed my foot being done then I could watch with a carefully placed mirror.
    • Posted

My late brother in law did the same when part of his foot was being removed.
    • Posted

That is why I said, see what your consultant says about this, as you are awake and alert there is less risk in relation to the anaesthetic.
    • Posted

My name is Michelle I'm TERRIFIED to have a Cystoscope test. Besides anesthetic, what else can they give me so I don't feel the pain? Does the test hurt? Is it done in a hospital? Is there an anesthesiologist there? I just don't want any pain. Any advice? Thank you Michelle

• Posted

It only takes a couple of minutes and they spray the area with a local anesthetic and lubricant. It is a very narrow tube that goes in nowadays compared to the first one that I had over thirty years ago.

The staff will put you well at ease before and during it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.