Ortho Evra (brith control patch) reviews please?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Could anyone give me any reviews of the brith control patch please? Good or bad, they're all useful. I don't know if ortho evra is the only one or not, but reviews of any patch would be appreciated. smile

Thanks!

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

I started using the Ortho Evra patch after I was having sporadic periods that would occur every 2-3 months, sometimes not at all for 6 months, and then one that lasted for 5 months. Fast forward to the patch, and it made things worse, a lot worse. 

Side effects I experienced with the patch:

Stomach cramping all of the time. Severe to the point of nausea and vomiting like you get when you have a kidney stone

Rash. Really, really bad rash. Like skin broke out, all over the place, not just in the area where the patch was. I have a lot of skin sensitivities and allergies, so this was not surprising. What was surprising is when the doctor said not to put any cream, lotion, gel, or anything on the rash, because if you use it in the area of the birth control patch it doesn't stick, even if you've showered and rinsed the area over and over again. I had to stop using the patch to treat the rash, and never went back to it.

Breast tenderness. My breasts became so tender that I could not lay on my stomach, wear a bra, or even wear a bathing suit top. Every time something brushed against my breasts it felt like someone had it in a vice grip, it was a burning pain and not at all pleasant. 

Mood swings. I have taken Necon 1/35 successfully for years, and never had mood swings because of it. I do have bipolar disorder, so maybe it affected me differently, but when I went on the patch, I was a wreck. I cried all of the time, I screamed a lot, and I felt very unhappy with my life. I was down, depressed, and very irritable. It was like PMS that lasted every day of the month and never got any better.

Period cramps that made me want to die. I've always had bad period cramps, attributed to a combination of Vulvodynia, Fibromyalgia, and PCOS. When I take the Necon 1/35, I do not have period cramps at all. When I went on the patch, the cramps got worse then before I started using the pill. The cramps were the bent over the side of the bed, vomiting into a bucket kind of cramps that made me want to die rather than face my next period.

Constant sore throats. I would get repeated sore throats over and over again. They would feel like strept throat, and I would end up at the doctor's office or urgent care. I would present with possible symptoms of strept throat, a low grade fever between 99.9-101.6F, chills, a headache, nausea, a severe sore throat, hoarseness in my voice, and many times a partial or complete loss of my voice like you get with laryngitis. After months of negative throat cultures, no redness in the throat, etc, an ENT finally told me the patch was the problem

Drug interactions with just about everything under the sun. I had so many problems with drug interactions while on the patch. Everything from Tylenol to yeast medications became ineffective or the symptoms (in the case of the yeast) were worsened due to the medications not working. It seemed like the patch interacted with everything. I did some research, and found that it had over 40 major drug reactions, and that basically, if you take a lot of medications like I do, you shouldn't use the patch.

Also, Grapefruit Juice was not a problem for me, but was a problem for my best friend. She actually made the patch ineffective in drinking it, and got pregnant, which is what her gynecologist is blaming it on

I decided that the patch was not worth the interactions I kept having. Unfortunately, I have nothing positive to say, I cannot even say it was easier than the pill because treating the rash made it harder than taking a pill every day. Obviously my experience might be worse than other people's, so you should do your own research to see if it's right for you. 

• Posted

Thank you very much. That was really useful. I'm sorry you had to go through all that, it sounds horrific! Though i suppose it's hard to tell whether it was especially bad for you because of your other conditions? I've heard a lot of good and a lot of bad about pretty much all birth control, so it's very difficult to know what to do! Could you tell me what birth control you found best/ had the least awful problems associated with it?

Thanks!

• Posted

Yes, it is quite possible some of it was due to other health conditions. I've taken many different brands of birth control, and only the patch did I have those kinds of problems with, so who knows for sure!

The ones that I have tried are: 

Ortho Evra Patch - experience stated earlier

Yaz - I have never had migraines in my life, but they run in my family. The entire time I was on Yaz, I experinced migraines. I did not have weight gain, cramps, missed periods, eradic periods, or long lasting periods on it though, which was nice. One of the worst problems I had on it was constant blood clots. I have Fibromyalgia, but have never had blood circulation problems, with Yaz, I was getting them on a regular basis, mostly in my legs

Ovrette - I didn't like this one at all. You have to take it at the exact same time every day, or it just doesn't work. If I missed a dose by even 2 1/2, my period would get knocked out of whack. I would then end up with a missed period, or a period that lasted months at a times. Not a whole lot of fun. I loved the fact that I did not get a stomach ache after taking it, gain weight while using it, or experience mood swings while taking it. I hated the fact that it did nothing for my period cramps.

Seasonique - I wanted to love this one. A period every 3 months sounded like a dream come true to me, as I have been known to have very hard periods. However, it didn't turn out that way. I took it as I was supposed to take it, but I ended up with periods every 45 days and they would last for 75 days. I told my doctor it was the birth control (she's no longer my doctor), she wouldn't listen, I stayed on it. I ended up with a period that lasted 5 months, in the emergency room, with such heavy bleeding they couldn't stop, and they pulled me off of it.

NuvaRing - NuvaRing was short lived, my Vulvodynia hated it. I was undiagnosed at the time, and it was shortly after using NuvaRing that I got the diagnosis. While I used it, it was comfortable inside, but I always had a fear it would fall out, sort of like a tampon that feels too full. I think that had more to do with the muscle control and the Vulvodynia, maybe even some of the anxiety issues related to the bipolar, then the NuvaRing itself though. It did not lessen the cramps during my period, the severeity of my periods, or the duration of my periods

Necon 1/35 I loved! I absolutely adored it. It made my periods last exactly 4 days. The first day was always breakthrough bleeding, the second day would be normal (but not heavy bleeding like I was prone to), the third day would be lighter bleeding, and the fourth day would be breakthrough bleeding. I LOVED knowing when my period would hit. It would always be done by the weekend (I timed it that way when I started taking the pill) and I did not feel tied to pads all of the time and worry about having to have supplies with me all the time. I experienced zero period cramps. I never had an irregular period. I never gained weight. I never had mood swings. I also had very few problems with my PCOS, which was an awesome added bonus. It was so in tune with me, it was fantastic. There were only two downsides to it: one was that I hated trying to pop the little pills out of the foil (more because of my Fibromyalgia than anything), and I hated the fact that I always craved pickles for some reason, literally, I felt like it gave me cravings similar to the stories I've heard about pregnancy cravings...pickles, olives out of the jar, cucumbers with vinegar and seasoning salt, etc. 

But then ObamaCare, I won't bore you with the details, MediCal (Medicaid everywhere else) insurance, 6 types of insurance, 7 primary care doctors, assigned to a quack who's Catholic and anti-birth control even for health reasons, and now stuck with an e.r. prescription for birth control is the short version. 

So, now I'm on Dasetta. I have a love/hate relationship with it. The good: keeps my periods really short, always 72 hours and the first day is always breakthrough bleeding. Keeps my periods very light, very little bleeding at all 2-4 overnight pads a day vs dozens previously. No period cramps at all, which I love, love, love. 

The bad: packaged in a pouch with silica packet which I'm allergic to, and just it touching the pack of birth control pills gives me a reaction. My boyfriend has to take the pack out of the pouch, sterilize it with Hibiclens, wipe it down, remove the pills, put them in a separate container, each month or I have a huge allergic reaction from that dumb packet they put in there!

I never know when my period is going to hit. With Dasetta my period hits when it wants to. Sometimes it's in the middle of the month while I'm on the active pills, sometimes it's at the end of the month during the inactive pills when it should occur; other times it's in like flipping a coin yes or no will it start today. No one can explain why my period doesn't always trigger during the inactive pills, or why the active pills sometimes allow my period during them. 

Then there is the mood swings. My boyfriend and I (read: married), try not to kill each other when I take the Dasetta. It makes my bipolar disorder worse, my anxiety worse, and my attitude worse. I am convinced it's the birth control. I take it in the evening, and I'm on top of the world for the first two hours of the day, and then crash, look out the witch just flew in on her broomstick, literally. I yell, scream, cry, just about do everything but burn the house down.

More ovarian cysts than normal. Once I started taking the Dasetta, I started getting a ton of ovarian cysts. I have always had PCOS, but now it's like a cyst minefield

Weight gain, tons of weight gain on the Dasetta, 15 pounds since the beginning of January when I started taking it. It's definitely the Dasetta as nothing else has changed. But, I'm stuck. Either I pay $175 out of pocket a month for Necon 1/35 and get a prescription from a friend of a friend, which I cannot afford living on $875 a month, or I take the Dasetta, so for now, hopefully until March, I am stuck with the Dasetta. 

A couple of things, yes I have other health problems that can make me have different experiences with my periods and with birth control. Fibromyalgia, Vulvodynia, and PCOS have been known to affect my periods. I have other conditions, but they do not usually affect my period and birth control, all though occasionally my bipolar disorder will.

• Posted

Thanks for the info! Wow a lot of these experiences seem pretty terrifying, i think Seasonique is a definite no, that sounds awful! Other than the period cramp problems, how was the Nuvaring? (in terms of stress, mood swings, nausea, hair problems, skin problems, gastro intestinal problems, yeast infections,headaches etc). Also in relation to Yaz, do you have a family history of blood clots? And in relation to Necon 1/35 do you know what hormones are in it, and its estrogenic, porgestastional, and androgenic levels? And any problems with Necon 1/35 in relation to any of the things i put in the brackets?

Thanks! smile

• Posted

To be fair, I only used NuvaRing for four months. I was really stressed while I was on it, because I was so worried about it falling out. I had pretty normal mood swings, the day or two before my period I was usually a wreck, but nothing overly bad. I never had nausea, vomiting or gas because of it. I did get yeast infections, lots of yeast infections. I had three during that time, and two were resistant to everything including Diflucan. No noticeable hair growth at all. No headaches. Nothing really too major to speak of other than what I mentioned earlier. 

I do not have a family history of blood clots at all, not even a family history of high blood pressure. We do have a family history of breast cancer, cervical cancer, and uterine cancer, I'm not sure if that increased the risk of blood clots with the Yaz or not. 

With the Necon 1/35 it contains two different hormones, one is progestin and one is estrogen. Specially they are ethinyl estradiol and norethindrone. I did not have any stress at all with the Necon 1/35. No mood swings. No nausea, no sick to my stomach feeling, no increased bowel movements, nothing really to speak of. There was some increased hair growth on my chin (which I still have now that I'm on the Dasetta), but nothing really at all to speak of that would make me not take it again. I did not have yeast infections with the Necon, but boy I have seen them with the Dasetta!

• Posted

I am 19 years old and I started the ortho evra this month and am currently on my 3rd week (just changed today). I must say it is probably one of the best methods I've used. It's easy to remember unlike the pill and I was never any good at taking pills. The only thing for me is how sore my breasts are, especially at the sides and sometimes underneath. Saying this though I have noticed a change in size, my breasts have actually grown. One is bigger than the other but not by much. I don't feel sick or get headaches so this is perfect. I read that many other women find the patch falls off, mine hasn't so far, but the lint from clothes does get stuck to the edges and makes It look a tad dirty. However if you put it in a hidden place it doesn't matter. Just be careful not to put it on any hairy skin areas, I learnt the hard way ;O. All in all though, this is an excellent form of contraception and I will definitely be going back to get some more of these! I hope this helps anyone!
  • Posted

Hi, I have just stopped using the patch after 3 months of hell. I have had nearly non-stop bleeding, nausea (severe), migraines, cramps, it has caused really bad depression and I have found myself shouting at my husband and kids for no reason. I started using the patch because I was reacting badly with the pill but all my symptoms just got worse, I also suffered sore breasts and put on half a stone in the first week, Wouldn't never try again.
  • Posted

I was on the patch for 8 months, found it amazing had no problems at all while I was on it, but I chose to come off it 24th march, my period was due Wednesday and I haven't come on, I know I'm not pregnant as I have been careful and have taken a pregnancy test just incase. I'm getting slightly worried as I've heard some horror stories that some people haven't had a period for several months + after coming off the patch, I just hope this doesn't happen to me as we want to try for a baby soon, can't wait till me body goes back to normal, hope this helps
  • Posted

I have just started the evra patch, this is my first patch and I'm in bed writing this, I have had severe stomach cramps for two days and feeling nauseous im not sure if I should wait and see if it gets any easier or take it off now and find something else, my friend is on the patch and she said she's been on it for 5 years and had no problems but I suppose everyone is different.
  • Posted

Hi! I'm 18 years old. I have been on the Ortho Evra patches (and an off brand version this past year), since I was 13. It has always done great things for me. It's kept my period regular, short (4-5 days), light, I don't have any migraines, never experienced any weight gain, I don't get nauseated, and it's easy to remember. I have never been the kind able to remember to take a pill everyday lol. So this once a week thing works perfectly for me. It does end up looking a little dirty around the edges by the time you're due to change it. But I've never had a problem with it falling off. I always put it on after I've dried off from a shower.
  • Posted

Hello, hopefully by now you have found a good birth control by now but if not then try Lo Estrin FE. I absolutely loved it, no more cramps and heavy bleading. I would even start the new pack when it came time for the sugar pills and do that for 3 months before I would take the sugar pills and I eventually stopped getting my period. It was Heaven. Unfortunately my doctor switched my pills because Im 38 and I smoke. Its been 3 months and this past month has been hell! I've had crazy cramps and occasionally feel nauseaus every day. Tomorrow I'm having a pelvic ultra sound to make sure it is the pill causing this and not something else. I was looking into Mirena but all the reviews I've read on that, I won't do it. Good luck and if you know of anything that would be helpful then please let me know. 

• Posted

I started using evra patch Dec 2016 my bf the we were in a distance relationship I would stop it when he goes back first time I had a bad reaction hives for 3 weeks I hanged in there and they were gone in 3 weeks a year later he came back started it again it was hives all over my body doctor said it was supposed to be localized by then I could not hang in there it was too much I stopped it and since then I started have allergies to any spiced food all I eat is salt Im hoping my system get cleansed and back to eat my normal food as usual it's really bad I rather take pills.... My best friend s friend even get hospitalized I can't never again.... Good luck to those trying it....

• Posted

Iv just started using the patch I’m on my second week I didn’t start it on the first day at off my period thou technically my period would of been next week didn’t u find u still got cramped ont the lead up to ur patch free weekmany thanks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.