Vitamin D deficiency, hyperparathyroidism and heartburn.

Posted , 24 users are following.

Hi can anyone relate to having muscle and bone pain with being deficient in vitamin D ?   I get severe pains in muscles down my back and this has spread into my shoulders and up my neck into my head at the back. The pains come and go but i always feel tender and stiff in these area's. I get sharp shooting pains, burning pains and the feeling that my muscles are sore to touch. I also have felt like the muscle is tearing when i turn to reach something, the tearing sensation is really painful. I get shooting pains in my right leg in the hip/buttock joint which makes walking difficult at times and causes my left knee to give as i try to keep weight off right leg. The bone pain is usually in my lower back. When the pains in my neck muscles started it seemed to be triggered after i heard a cracking sound and got sharp pains in the back of my neck. 

I also have primery hyperparathyroidism and severe indigestion/acid.

4 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Have you had a blood test to check your vit D? I was found deficient although I was also diagnosed with PMR which has similar type pain, in my case in my shoulders and hips, absolute agony.  I now take vit D supplement prescribed by my doctor and my vit D has improved.
    • Posted

Hi thanks for reply. Yes i was told in 2013 by the endocronologist that was investigating my slightly raised blood calcium that i had primery hyperparathyroidism and very low vitamin D. He though i did not at present need anything for the hyperparathyroid problem but informed my doctor that i needed to take vitamin D. 

The doctor did not seem to really know what strength of vitamin D i needed to take and just told me to buy some from the chemist or supermarket.  I did buy some but after reading on the internet that you should not take vitamin D if you have raised blood calcium i decided not to risk it.  Now a year later i returned to see the endocronologist to be told my vitamin D will be even lower now and my doctor has got to supply me with the correct dosage.  I have to have a blood test this week and start taking the vitamin D, then have a blood test in 4 weeks when i go back to hospital to see if my vitamin D has improved and that it is not affecting my calcim level. I think he said my vitamin D level last year was about 30.

Has the vitamin D helped with your pains ?  

• Posted

My vit D blood count was 26 and it went up to 52 in three months. I did read somewhere that it takes quite a long time to actually rise while taking supplements, about three months!! I was diagnosed last May so was able to sit out in the sun and I think that made a world of difference. I think the main part of our vit D comes from the sun. 

You are right about the calcium you need to be careful. You do need calcium to absorb vit D. I actually have combined calcium and vit D tablets. As it is estimated half of the UK population are deficient in vit D I am amazed your GP does not know more about it. I initially got mine over the counter and the pharmacist was very helpful when I asked what I should do. 

• Posted

Hope my vitamin D levels rise as quick as yours did as i also read that it can take a long time.  I was originally told years ago by a previous doctor that it was fibromyalgia causing muscle pains.  As pains have increased over the years i was referred to hospital for more tests and given the diagnosis of primery hyperparathyroidism and multiple myalgia's with low vitamin D. I do feel sometimes that both doctors and consultants have seemed unsure exactly what is causing my symptoms.

I do like to sit out in the sun when not working but maybe my body cant absorb enough vitamin D.  I am really hoping they have got it right and i can feel better as its getting worse each year.  

• Posted

I really enjoyed lying out in the sun with a book, a cup of tea and a biscuit. I normally rush round the place so it really slowed me down and made me relax. 

The fact you have tender muscles does sound like fybromyalgia, which is very painful. A friend of mine takes tramadol for it.

Multiple myalgia sounds a bit of a get out by the doctors as it just means you have lots of pain!

Hyperparathyroidism is more serious and will be the reason for your high calcium, which is not a good thing, worse than high cholesterol

• Posted

frances02122,

My White Blood Cell Count is 3.8 and my Vitamin D is 28.4

Both have been going steadily down for years.  I have just started taking 20,000 IU of Vitamin D a day and I have been sleeping better than I have in years and my body has been feeling better than it has in years.  I have been taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D for 2 months now and it has made a HUGE difference in my life!!

Not only do I feel better in regard to my sleep and my back but my mood and disposition is brighter and better than it has ever been!

Please let me know how you are now doing and how much vitamin D you are currently taking a day.

Thank you!

• Posted

Hi there i was on 60,000iu weekly for 12 weeks for vit d def.When nothing at all improved after months as regards symptoms i was referred to an endocrynologist.After more bloods and a 24hr urine collection,kit was confirmed i have primary hyperparathyroidism.I am on the waitng list for surgery.I have to have a dexa sxan to check for osteoporosis,A kidney scan to check for stones.Also an MRI tosee if possible which of the four glands has the tumour.Only surgery will solve this condition.In the meanwhile we are open to vit d def,osteoporosts and kidney stones,so best to follow up.All this info is direct from my consultant.

T

• Posted

yes yes

i went to the dr and said i wasn't sure if the pain was in bones or muscle or joints or nerves or all of them.

he tested for vitamin D and i laughed saying ha ha not possiblle i am always in the sun.

hey presto i had low vit D and luckily the pains went, once i started vit D supplementation.

good luck

• Posted

Hi so happy for you that the pains went for you, it gives me hope that one day i may be pain free or at least bearable. 

My pains are mostly muscle and joints i think, i get shooting, burning and tearing things. I have learnt to try avoid sudden movements and heavy lifting. 

I am just hoping the vitamin D does not raise my calcium levels.

• Posted

Hi

Iam 28 years old female.

My vit D is too low it was less than 4 but not thyroid tsh ft4 all those result were normal. But bone and muscles symptoms are very similar.

I am had same symptoms of muscle pain like pin and needle sensation with numbness /tingling or burning feeling sometimes shooting pain all over but was bearable and bones cracking or tearing sounds.

Initially my gp though its b12 and iron deficiency but but actual cause was low vitamin D. My gp was surprised to see that result.

Due to vit D that low, I was asked to test my prolactine level which came too high. Since its high so now MRI of pituitary gland will b conducted in coming week. I am bit scared.

Anyhow nowadays taking vit D injections once a week. Feeling better.

• Posted

Hello just reading the thread. As you mentioned your prolactin level is too high. Because of your age I would like to mention that it may stop you falling pregnant. My friend was unable to have children for 15 years until they found out she had high prolactin. When it was resolved she got pregnant very soon and even had another child a year later. By this time she was around 40 wish she knew before.... hope it helps.

• Posted

What was ur vit d level?
    • Posted

Hi Reema, thanks for reply. I am awaiting result of vitamin D test but over a year ago i was told it was very low so they expect it to be much lower now. I have so many health problems which have got worse over last few years i am losing faith in doctors. I think the feeling of muscle ripping is awful, it makes me very careful not to twist or lift anything heavy in case it happens as it leaves muscle burning for days. 

Will let you know what vitamin D level is when i get results, my doctor is supposed to be phoning with results when he gets them and to give me a prescription for the vitamin D.

• Posted

Dont worry. You will feel better after vit D supplements and start taking food wch contain vit d naturally. Start that by urself.

Do let me know ur level. All the best

• Posted

Hi Reema, thank you and will let you know when i get results. Hope everything goes well for you MRI. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.