My father has been urinating blood since this morning, need some advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Basically, this morning he was urinating blood. He said he was fine yesterday, but it's just become apparent this morning. He has been to the doctors and she told him that he needs to fill up two sample bottles (one for the morning, and for the evening) then bring them back into the doctors so they can be sent for examination. She also wants to send him to the hospital to test for prostate cancer. She told him that the test results will be back within 2 weeks. 

The issue now is, he is feeling very light headed like he's going to pass out. Is this due to the loss of blood he is experiencing or something else? I am becoming a little concerned, but as he's seen the doctor, i'm not sure what else can be done without him getting visibly progressively worse. One other thing, he seems to be sweating too. 

Any advice would be great. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

How much blood is he actually passing? is it bright red spurts  or diluted in his urine. Did she do rectal examination of his prostate?

Light headed and sweating often indicates a kidney or urine infection as can the blood. I have passed quite a bit of blood at times when a blood vessel in my prostate has burst.

• Posted

No it is bright red. She didn't do a rectal examination because my dad has a colostomy bag, which means his back passage is sewn up so she couldn't do one anyway. She told him that they can exam the prostate at hospital using a camera up the penis. He isn't in a bad way and he told me a moment ago that he feels okay and no need for A&E. He needs to fill up another bottle later tonight and then take them to the doctors in the morning. 
    • Posted

I know what you mean, but naturally he is a bit concerned that it might be cancer. I think it might be bladder and liver they're testing the blood for, but he will have to go for an exam on the 4th of march. Obviously, i'm sympathetic of his situation, but i'm trying to ease his worries by telling him that he at least went to the doctors that same day and the blood samples are today at the hospital, so he should hear back very soon. 
  • Posted

If possible get a sample round to his GP and try to get it tested. Better still try and locate a walk in clinic Azorius.
    • Posted

When at either the GP surgery or walking clinic, the doctor in question, he/she may do several test including prostate/test urine for infection/ and or blood test.
    • Posted

He needs to hand in samples tomorrow of his urine. His symptoms of dizziness and sweating are gone now, but he's still got the frequent need to urinate, but when he goes it's just small amounts of blood. Anyway, he's drinking lots of water and resting up, but he seems okay. will have to see how he is tomorrow, but so far it's just the urinating blood that is frustrating him.  
    • Posted

Sorry for the delayed reply Azorius as I have been unavailable. But to what you was saying about the constant passing of blood. Now when they have done all required tests, don't be surprised that any kind of treatment will come pretty quick.

I hope goes well for him, as I know what he is going through as I have been there as well. But now have to deal with an enlarged prostate, which is pushing against the bladder right next to the surgical sight and causing irritation. I am just waiting as to what is going to happen next. I am already thinking maximum dose of Vesicare medication, for which I am now getting used to it.

Anyway, as I said hope all goes well.

• Posted

Thanks for replies. One other thing he gets is while urinating, he says that while urinating blood, it will comes out in intermittent amounts, i.e. he's able to urinate normally (though peeing blood) and then he's only able to urinate in very small quantites. 

I am a concerned regarding what it could be, but I'm trying to ease his mind at the moment as any talk of something more sinister will only unsettle him. I guess we just need to wait for the results, but it's still worrying and anxiety inducing with all the waiting. 

Good luck with your treatment, it sounds like you're are going through a lot too. 

• Posted

By the sounds of it Azorius, it is similar to myself. An enlarged prostate...but I'm only guessing. Has his GP done any tests? It may also be a kidney stone, that is causing a slight blockage. As soon as he has the initial tests done the better.
  • Posted

Azrius

Phone his GP NOW and get advice I would do this as soon as possible

very best wishes

Carol

• Posted

From the initial post it sounds as if his doctor is not much good.
  • Posted

Okay, so his urine samples came back "satisfactory" and he's going for a cystoscopy and an ultrasound examination tomorrow at the hospital. It is very strange as his urine returned to normal colour for a few days at the end of last week, but since yesterday his urine is back to browny red colour again.

He says he is feeling a burning sensation when he urinates, but because the urine tests came back okay, it's not really adding up. The doctor has not given him antibiotics due to the urine test results, so therefore he's just been coping without medication. Obviously he should know what is going on after his examinations tomorrow, but it's all very strange. 

Has anyone experienced a similar situation before, where test results were okay and your urine returned to normal colour for a few days, only to start urinating browny/red blood again a few days later? If it's an infection, i would have thought the doctor would have prescribed antibiotics in the off chance it may have been an infection, not just left it a couple weeks until his exam tomorrow. I know this is all very redundant now, but it's a little incompentent to have just left him in the lurch for these past couple weeks. 

• Posted

I have brown urine when I'm up and about and clear urine when I stay in bed quietly on February 3rd I started bleeding thick bright red blood then it changed to coca cola color with painful blood clots I had to pass for the next 5 days I went to the uro and he flushed my bladder and did a cistoscope on the 5th sent me home on keflex and tamsulosin still bleeding. On the 7th I went to the hospital thinking I was bled out and dieing but they put 1 bag of fluid in me and sent me home on the 8th my urine started to clear up. Yesterday march 6 I got up from my bedridden clear urine no pain state to shower and go to the doctor by the time I got home 4 hours later I was in pain and urine was dark brown and I passed traces of blood and clots during the night. Now that I have been back in bed 24 hours the urine is looking normal again and no pain. So my question is does your father notice a differance while in bed compared to walking standing and sitting. Like I do if anyone else reading this can relate I would like to know I'm in the United States and went to the uro and hospital with no insurance so I don't feel I got the care I would have gotten if I had insurance
    • Posted

my dad is also facing the same condition again....last year his doctor diagnosis the mass in bladder then operated ....after that my fathers was much relaxed nd thankd God that he is fine . but now this problem again started nd its a time to b worried seriously... he is too muchh tens ..could u plz share ur experience here ? Azorious

we r too much worried

• Posted

hey mark my father is also facing the prpblm of bleeding in urine ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.