Vertigo dizziness sinuses

Posted , 21 users are following.

Like most if not all of you. Searching for answers. To begin I have always had stuffed sinuses. Oddly my nose runs as I eat anything but breakfast. I also have tinnitus, I suspect as result of long term noise exposure. These have been a constant.

Then in 2009 I started feeling at times “off” Like I was wasn’t walking quite right or like standing on a boat in still waters with almost constant ear pressure. Not bad but enough to make wonder what was going on. In late 2011 I had my first full bout of vertigo with 5 more since, the last in mid January 2015 landing me in the ER with severe vertigo and vomiting. I could not tolerate an MRI in the ER as the vertebrae in my upper neck was to sore for me to lay still for nearly an hour. Which by the way sometimes dizziness seems to originate from the back of my head but that does not seem to happen often.. Anyway my GP does not think an MRI is necessary but did refer me to an ENT. I’m waiting for allergy testing and a CAT scan. I have  a hearing test that showed loss of hearing in the high ranges. That’s where I am now with that. Since the ER visit I’ve had times when I felt unsteady. Taking Ginger supplements eliminates that. Also after the ER visit I started taking off and on doses of Allegra D which has helped rid my ears of the pressure.

Then today something I had not experienced before. Out of nowhere in a sitting position a strong spell of the dizziness (no vertigo) that lasted for 2 to 3 seconds. With no after effects but anxiety. I had at that time been experiencing sinus irritation and sinus pressure above my eyes. I did not feel any loss of consciousness or control. But visually everything was out of skew.  Any ideas? Anyone have this happen? After all these years hard to believe this event could be triggered by sinuses. I am also looking into what is called vestibular migraines. As a former migraine sufferer I had no idea this could happen without a headache. It is the number two cause of vertigo. But hard to tie that together with what has just happened.

1 like, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Will, there are so many layers to this onion aren't there.  I cannot on any given day tie it all together but likewise i've had all your symptoms.  In the end ENT said i had MAV, Mingraine Vertigo.  I really don't know anymore cos it all started with BPPV but not sure if that was the start of it but that's when i noticed it all kicked off. One day fine, next day started on the merrygoround. What is Allegra D by the way?  Is it vitamin D? I will try to remember Ginger to see if taking some helps.
  • Posted

A simple blood test could tell you some things. Have them check your Magnesium, Iron, Vitamin D and B12. Also look up SCM muscle. It's a muscle that goes from the back of your ear to your collor bone and can give you some of these problems. ALso do a search for dizzy times, it's a forum for people like us. Good luck.
    • Posted

i recently started taking all the vitamins you mentioned on a daily basis. A couple years ago I was short on vitimin D. Good information you shared on The SCM muscle. Really think I would benifet by getting this checked out. There are so aspects to vertigo and dizziness. It is mind boggling. Thanks for response. 
    • Posted

Hi Rocksolid - I think mine is  SCM rather than silent migraine.  Im going to send an email to my neurologist.  Ive to start the beta blockers today so Im wondering whether to leave it until after Ive sent the email.  No point taking stuff that I might not need, unless beta blockers are good for SCM. 
  • Posted

Hi Will

I have perennial rhinitis and I thought I had bad sinus headaches which turned out to be migraine. Two and a half years ago, I had bad sinuses and a splitting headache. I then developed the vertigo. Ive had that before but this just didnt go. I think it turned more into dizziness and I still have it. I went to GP then ENT then neuro surgeon then neurologist. It took a year to get the diagnosis. Silent migraine. I also went to the migraine clinic in harley street in London. They explained it to me. There is a muscle runs throughout your head, behind your eyes and down the back of your head called the corrugator muscle. Underneath it is the trigeminal nerve. With stress or whatever, the muscle goes into spasm and irritates the nerve. Depending on which part of the nerve is irritated, you get the different eye, face, neck, head symptoms as this nerve goes into the brain stem. This is why the symptoms change and move about. Silent migraines are well known and are migraine without the headache. Just the other weird stuff. Problems with eyes, nose, head, neck. I had to have a scan to rule out anything else, but it wasnt until I saw the neurologist that the diagnosis was given. Obviously this all causes stress and can cause depression and panic attacks, as its all so scarey and that in turn makes it all much worse. I had botox which helped the headache side of things and the back of my eyes which were jumping around, but not cured the dizziness. They keep trying different meds to stop it. Nothing up to now has worked but the less stress, the better. I hope that helps.

• Posted

Paula59, Have you looked into PT? A message might make it better. I am going for something called dry needling which helps muscles relax. MAybe this can help.
    • Posted

Hi whats PT ? I shall google dry needing.  I did find last year when I was on holiday abroad, that there were some occasions when I didnt notice the dizziness anymore.   I think it actually went temporarily while I was so relaxed and de-stressed.  Its hard to get that relaxed with work and life etc but I keep on trying.  Thats where the botox comes in, it freezes the muscles as if you were that naturally relaxed.  Cant wait for the next appointment.  Thanks for your help.
    • Posted

Paula59, The more comments I read the more I become aware of the anxiety/stress component. In regards to your holiday comment. For me Saturday being a day off I felt really good. Sunday okay but not as good as Saturday. Monday get up feeling stressed, full of anxiety. Later a low level headache, on and off nausea througout the work day. Then that feeling of unsteadiness. Half that Monday was spent working from home. No difference did it make. But heres the deal. It's a job I've done for 30 years it really isn't that stressful. I've come to detest the hour drive in heavy freeway traffic each way. It is stressful buth then should not be for as long as I've done it. What is different? I suspect maybe because of my 100% focus on my symptoms. Which are real but I suspect made worse by anxiety and stress. I wish I could retire tomorrow. I can't and won't do the disability thing unless forced to. I know I would feel better. But I'm beginning to realize somehow someway each of us in our own way need to get a handle on the anxiety component.  I know it plays a part but wonder how much in each of us?

• Posted

Hi Will -

I know what you mean -

my job isnt stressful so I am OK Monday - Thursday. I dont work Friday as Im part time (did this when this thing started). I notice on a Friday although my hubby and I go out somewhere I think I just notice it more and am aware of the symptoms. On a Saturday I do the housework and tend to lie in cos Im shattered, then get up and feel awful. I try the housework then go back and lie on the bed and feel worse. I do this on Sunday too. Then back to Monday and feel better cos work has taken my mind off it and also I sit still and dont walk round much. I finished my last job on Dec 2 as it went full time and I knew I couldnt do it. Then had 6 weeks off supposedly retired. It was awful because I was so stressed because I had no job and focussed on the health problems. Ended up very depressed. Then got this job on Jan 14 and felt so much better. So I know I have to work to keep sane with it. When I had a bad cold it was all so much worse so sinuses play a part too. A couple of times this week the low lying headache turned into full blown migraine - I think that was from the fluorescent lights in the office and the PC screen. It's all good fun. But at least I finally know that getting stressed makes it a million times worse. Cant wait for the botox it really does make a difference.

• Posted

Hi Paula, i'm the same, so much better on work days than days off.  Think being at work must take my mind off it.  When my husband drives me around at weekend i am even more in a spin as a passenger and supermarkets really set me off possibly with the bright lighting and all the shelf heights.  I have had a stinking cold that worsened everything balance wise as ears, nose and throat were all inflamed, I got really anxious because i was panicking about not feeling i could breathe and then nearly fainted fromt the anxiety.  Never had a cold like it but on the mend now with intermittent congestion.  We have an air con unit at work which i think is causing a lot of the congestion problems.  Anyway i try to accept that this is the way it is and if i give up work i may feel a whole lot worse.  I know that when i'm dizzy there is an element of anxiety but i try to walk through it, breathe deeply, drive extra carefully and keep focused on the job in hand.  The other day i was particulary unsteady I realised that this is how i will probably have to function for good and just hope, for the future,  it doesn't get as bad as it use to be when it first all kicked off and i had to take a month of work because i could barely walk.
    • Posted

Hi Anne

Rocksolid mentioned SCM muscle and I googled it and I now think it could be that and maybe the neurologist is wrong with the silent migraine. I had a bad car crash in 1973 and broke several bones in my neck and tore muscles and I cant move my neck all the way round. It doesnt move on the left side. Im find if I sit perfectly still and dont move but as soon as I move my head the dizziness is there. Interesting.

• Posted

same here Paula with the neck thing.  I have a tripped nerve in my neck also and deformity of some kind in my neck/spine at C4, the bone at the back of my neck protrudes and when i turn to look over my left shoulder whilst driving it affects my eyes and I get dizzy.  Have you tried walking toe to toe with one foot in front of the other, how's your balance with that?  Mines all over the place. I don't have much confidence either it it being silent mirgraines, but who knows.  I think it is more to do with my spine and inner ears.
    • Posted

Hi Anne - had phone call from useless GP this morning. Hate him he actuallymade me a million times worse. I wanted him struck off till I found out he had aspergers then I cut him some slack.  What a ridiculous job for someone with that.  Anyway, he confirmed what medication theyre trying next but I had already had a letter, so pretty useless conversation.  But I asked him if I could have a B12 test but he said I had had one in 2013 and it was normal.  I also asked for a Vitamin D test and hes left me the form.  Appointment with headache neurologist for 8 April been cancelled by hospital.  Waiting for new one.  Will check the Basilar Migraine now.  What would we all do without each other.  Just tried the toe to toe test - OMG all over the place especially over to the left side.  Im sure my balance used to be brilliant as Ive danced latin and ballroom all my life and done many many spins correctly on the spot plus taught ski ing - another balance thing.  Must make a note to tell him about the balance. Head not bad today.  Did I mention I get very hot, but I just thought that was the hot flushes still continuing after 8 years but maybe not. 
    • Posted

sorry to hear your appointment got cancelled.  That's what happened to me but i didn't find out until the day i went for it as the consultant was off sick.  I then got so fed up waiting after 3 months that i paid to see the same consultant privately cos i was quite bad at that time.  I believe the balance problem is more a problem for my left ear as that is where the BPPV started so i tend to slope more to the right in the toe to toe test.  When i first did it at the GP i was all over the place and he said 'what's wrong with you' and i thought 'this, and that's why i'm here', but he was a nice GP and started off the referral after that episode.

If you are sloping to the left side on the toe to toe test i wonder if that means the balance problem is in your right ear.  Just my own theory, might be completely wrong. 

Onwards and upwards ehsmile

I'm going next week to ask for B12 check and also to be referred back to ENT.  My visual problems are ongoing, the balance thing is always there to a greater or lesser degree and my neck remains crunching but the pain relief i am on is really helpful and i try to take the least amount to remain functional.

• Posted

Ha the doctor was off sick - he obviously didnt have vertigo !  Did you read that post about a neurologist who got vertigo - would love to talk to him.  He would def want to get to the bottom of it.  OH well pick up the new tablets tomorrow and see what they do.  Bit scared of them really they are beta blockers I believe and I think my blood pressure is already on the low side.  Still shouldnt make me dizzy and sick like the epilepy tablets and Ive already got that but it really made me worse and depressed.  Dont need that.  Feel quite upbeat today cos Ive felt better than I did.  Was OK shopping in trafford centre apart from debenhams.  I just wore my sunglasses like I do most of the time. 
    • Posted

What's the name of the beta blocker?  I was on them once for a racing pulse and they really helped calm me down. 
    • Posted

Dr Jones the normal neurologist said gabapentin but my headache neurologist suggested metoprolol so they agreed with that.  Ive got to take the first ones back and swop them for the second ones.  I hadnt taken any. Ive had topiramate and zonisamide which are both epilepsy drugs and both made me very dizzy and sick and eventually felt suicidal and depressed.  It was the medication because I was fine once it was out of my system. 
    • Posted

I was on Bisoloprol for 6 months and it really helped reset my BP and pulse that had gone wild. I felt much calmer and could actually feel myself feeling slowed down.  The only concern, as you said, is if it drops your BP lower so be careful getting up in in the morning and do it slowlysmile
    • Posted

Anne - i think mine is SCM.  Im thinking about sending an email to my neurologist.  The more I read about the symptoms the more it fits.  Ive got scoliosis and whiplash and my left eye pours all the time.  Im actually excited.  How sad is that !! I hope I can get to the bottom of it.  What are you supposed to do next ? 
    • Posted

Paula it is always good to get a 'definite' diagnosis when you are struggling to understand what might be the problem, so don't think it is sad at all, as there is always hope then that there might be something that can be done to help.  I don't think mime is SCM though.  Today it struck me that it is probably something i least suspect, so it is always good to find out as much as you can.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.