Ramapril and joint pain

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 61 year old woman who has been taking Ramapril for 7 or 8 years. I have terrible joint & muscle pain, especially fingers, arms, knees & feet.

Does anyone else have similar problems?

2 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am also 61 years of age and have been taking Ramapril for 2 years - prior to that I was on Losartan. Since starting the Ramapril I have the same symptoms with awful joint and muscle pain. My GP keeps telling me that this is my imagination but I have told him I am far from senile. He said he has never had another complaint of this nature regarding Ramapril and the only side effect experienced by other patients is a slight cough.
  • Posted

Hi Mollymac,

yesterday I couldnt move from pain which was why I was looking for some relief. I read on the insert that comes with the pills that joint pain is a symptom so I am with you in not yet being senile! How can pain be imaginary? I hate when people say that no one else has complained it is so unhelpful. Anyway I do sometimes get a dry cough too. I think that the CFS may be due to the wretched drug regime. What are you going to do? I am going to make an appointment with my GP and see if I can try something else. Thank you so much for replying.

• Posted

Hi Tigra

I had an appointment with my GP on Friday and once again told her (different doctor this time) about my problems with Ramapril to which I received a blank stare. I said it was strange than nobody else has reported side effects. Once again asked why I had been changed from Losartan to Ramapril and she said there had been a cancer scare with some types of blood pressure medication. At my local pharmacy I was told it was all to do with cost so who do you believe. I am also on thyroxine for underactive thyroid and gp will not prescribe named brands so that medication is always the same. Unfortunately my dosage of Ramapril had to be increased recently and since then my symptoms are more severe. Please let me know if you have any luck in getting your medication changed and what replacement you get. It's heartening to know there are other people of the same opinion and its not in the mind as I have so often been told.

• Posted

I am a 69 year old man and have been taking ramapril for 8 years, in all this time I have been complaining of joint and muscle pain getting worse but keep being told by my GP that my problem is osteoarthritis ( for which i have been taking "nsaids" for 30+ years) and that the pain of arthritis increases with age. I have asked about side-effects from my medication but just get the same response each time i,e, the symptoms that I describe are not of my medication. I am not convinced of any of this.
  • Posted

I dont known much about blood pressure medication, but if you think that it causes the joint pains ask you doctor to change it!
  • Posted

Hi MollyMac,

Sorry you didnt have much luck with the GP. I will see mine and hope that I get a better response. I'm sorry you didnt seem to get thru to your GP.

Hi grosvenoram. Do you believe its the Ramipril? Every day I think I wont take it but am too scared to stop.

Hi bhealthy do you know much about anything?

• Posted

Hi Tigra

Please do not be tempted to stop taking the Ramapril unless GP has prescribed other medication. Last year when I mentioned to my GP about the side effects he got really angry and said stop taking it and removed it from the computer. Was ok for a week but then my BP went up to stroke level and my daughter took me to A&E - doctor there said it was a disgrace and negligent that my own GP hadn't prescribed another medication - was then given no other option by my own GP to go back on the Ramapril. Since then I have had problems and was in hospital having an angiogram but I think the problem stemmed from when my medication had been stopped. I am also suffering a lot with fluid retention as well.

Grosvenoram - what dosage of Ramapril are you taking at present? I am on 5mg but also have to take a betablocker (Nebivilol). Maybe your GP is easier to talk to and you could suggest having Ramapril replaced by something else even for a month to see if it makes a difference.

I know my own GP is very difficult to have a discussion with - things are his way only. It's great that on this site we can get the opinions of others.

• Posted

Hi Mollymac,

Thank you for that advice. You really are going thru it. Yesterday I took the Ramapril n the afternoon as I got too scared not to take it. I am drinking a drink that is so disgusting I cant recommend it but I have been on a lot of websites for natural remedies- its a combination of turmeric, chilli powder,ginger & oregano,which I put in the food processor with an orange & banana it hasnt made me sick but today I woke up & I feel a lot less pain in my joints! I have been doing it for three mornings. Apparantly those particular spices & herbs support thyroid & supposedly good for arthritis. I will keep trying it & let you know how it goes. It is truly great to be having this discussion.

• Posted

Hi Tigra

Thanks for your reply. Regarding your drink I would not care how awful it tasted as long as it has the required effect - if you find it helps please let me know the quantities your use and I will give it a go. Meant to ask what dosage of Ramapril you are on. Before my meds were increased from 2.5 to 5 I was having a thumping in my ears and was so aware of my heartbeat - had to sleep practically sitting up in bed as I feel so uncomfortable and this starts again once I lie down and feel as if I am choking. GP has said arteries etc are all clear so there is nothing wrong. When I asked if it could be from the fluid retention he asked if I was trying to tell him his job. I really appreciate the time you and others take to reply to messages on here.

• Posted

Hi All

I am a 69 year old male and have been taking 5mg Ramipril daily for 10 years, luckily I only suffer with slight aching in joints and muscles, nothing severe.

Check the warning on this page regarding taking with other medication.

patient.info/medicine/Ramipril.htm

• Posted

Hi Mollymac,

I am thrilled to be able to report that the pain in my muscles had gone! My hands/fingers are way better. I still have sore feet & ankles but I am thinking maybe its just going to take more time. It seems everyone I know knew about turmeric except me! So this last few days I have been making a kind of curry, with red lentils, teaspooon of turmeric, hallf teaspoon chilli powder, half teaspoon of ginger instead of as a smoothie.

Also I went on line to find out foods for arthritis and apparantly broccoli is no good at all! I have made a list of vegetables which are also supposed to be good.

The other thing I have done is to take my thrroxine first thing in the morning as recommended and then instead of taking the Ramapril after breakfast with my aspirin I am taking the Ramapril in the afternoon and the aspirin before bed. Not sure if this is making any difference but what the heigh. Also I am taking 1.25 Ramipril. Harefield Hopsital wanted to increase it years ago but as they couldnt give me a good reason other than 'thats what we do' I decided why change what was working. At that time I was also taking frusimide which I took for about 6 years when I was told how bad it was for the kidneys so my then GP said to decrease then stop.

• Posted

Hi Tigra, I have been taking Ramipril 10mg daily for 8 years and also Atorvastatin 80mg daily, which in my opinion is the cause of my painful feet, knees, legs and hands. I have been contacted by a doctor from the practice telling me that Atorvastatin 80mg should have been reduced to 20mg daily after 9 months, so as from my next prescription I will be on the lower dosage. Hopefully this will have the desired results.(fingers crossed)
  • Posted

Hi grosvenoram. I dont know what Atorvstatin is but how agravating that the docs have only just got round to letting you know your dose should have been reduced after 9months! I know that the doctors are only human but when we are so dependent on them its infuriating! i was told I had pnemonia but actually I need ed major heart surgury my mitral valve had ceased working and I was getting bigger and bigger cos the blood was all backing up. Its a crazy old world we live in. Are the docs just going to put you on 20mgs or are they going to reduce it slowly? We all have to be so careful on our own behalf. I am keeping my fingers crosssed for you.
  • Posted

Hi Tigra and Grosvenoram, I had a call from my GP surgery that I was going to be contacted by the doctor today regarding my medication being altered. On the day I had my angiogram three weeks ago my blood pressure was fine in spite of me being anxious. I felt my blood pressure was ok because my Ramapril had been increased from 2.5 to 5 and I was also prescribed Nebivilol (beta blocker 2.5). However the consultant made a remark after the angiogram that there was scope for my gp to increase my meds and I am assuming that he has sent the letter to my gp. I am sitting here thinking why on earth would they increase my medication if my blood pressure is controlled at this dosage. I am going to ask questions but he has a sarcastic manner and I find myself backing down. But as you say Tigra we all have to look out for ourselves. My husbands aunt was admitted to hospital and had every heart failure test done only to find out that the problem had arisen because her gp had taken her off her fluid tablet and 'forgotten' to put her back on it again ENOUGH SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Posted

Hi Mollymac,

If you read anything about the protocol of Ramipril that is what happens. The maximum dose I think i remember it right is 10mg which is what grosvenoram is taking. I agree with you why fix it if it aint broke? Be strong and ignore the sarcasm its a cover for insecurity. Your GP just may not know and be embarrassed by that so he comes off mean.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.