Scrotum itching and weeping sores

Posted , 6 users are following.

First, I must make it clear that I've seen my GP and she prescribed a cream to apply. It was very effective at first but only temporarily and the soreness extends to the underside of my penis. The condition keeps recurring periodically.

I'm a mature adult and sadly circumcised, but I can see no relevance to that - except it embarrasses me when visiting my doctor.

Has anyone had this scrotum problem and can offer some advice? I don't wish to make another appointment at my surgery if I can find some advice from others here.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes many years ago I had a real problem with a non specific rash extending from my groin to my scrotum, and it drove me to distraction.

Initially I was prescribed a 1% hydrocortisone cream that really didn't help a lot, so I later returned to the surgery and was prescribed a really poweful topical cream which got rid of the rash, but even today 40 years later the rash can still occassionally return. Having said this, at least I now have my trusty cream which gets rid of the problem for ages, at least one or two years at a time.

They never did pin down exactly what was causing the rash, but at least if it does come back at any time I do know how to treat it. 

• Posted

I, similarly, was given a very effective hydrocotisone cream but my problem returns within months rather than years. And it isn't as if I don't keep myself squeaky clean 'down there', because I do!

Perhaps the difference between you and me is that I don't have a rash. Instead my scrotum surface periodically dries to the extent that it has flakes of dead skin which irritate me badly and I need to scratch. This exposes weeping sores underneath.

I've considered the pants I wear - normally briefs, but even boxers make no difference. I sleep naked at night; haven't even owned a pair of pyjamas since I was a boy.

However, I do grow a lot of body hair unfortunately, and I've found that shaving my testicles seems to help, but it's a tiresome procedure and the hair grows back far too soon.

I do thank you for your reply. It's given me thought for reflection. If you or anyone else has further advice, I'd be grateful.

• Posted

I use Coconut Oil as a moisturiser on my genitals, have done so for a few years now, as the ageing process means that the natural oils in this region dry up as one gets older. I apply a teaspoon full of hardened oil between the palms of my hands, and as it slowly melts with body temperature, I then massage my penis and scrotum. You will never have to resort to expensive creams again once you begin using this oil. I swear by it. All my ailments in this region, which were similar to those you described, healed within days and NEVER returned. Apply if first thing in the morning, and leave it about 5 to 10 minutes to absorb before dressing. It also gives a lively coconut odour throughout the day if you happen to perspire. Let me know how you get on. Regards, Mike
    • Posted

Michael, I thank you for your suggestion. Using coconut oil was the advice an online American woman gave me a year or two ago and, like you, she highly reccommended it. So I tried it and I remember the way it slowly melted with body temperature. However, it did nothing to relieve my symptons.

The hydrocortisone cream prescribed by my doctor is probably very expensive but we have our wonderful NHS so it cost me nothing - and it does work but it's not a 'cure' for the condition which returns again and again. Perhaps there is no cure?

Kind regards, Christopher

• Posted

I had sebaceous cysts at least 40+ for a few years. My Dr told me that they are not dangerous, But they were stretching my scrotum with the overall weight of them. I also had itches on left side mainly at the top. Ok so ended up having an operation they suggested full scrotum rebuild. But I ended up just having plastic surgery which left me with weird scars like a baseball stitching.

After 6months after stitching ect healed that itch appeared but all over and was very dry same as u explained tried but its impossible not to sctrach to the point of hole slits weeping. Had it few years now. Used over 18 diff creams, and at least double that in tablets. Steroid based creams and tablets. Still have it to this day ruined my life now as I can't do anything. Stopped the antidepressants they gave me. Had so many different drugs constantly for years so decided to clean my system.

Took my surgery over a yr to refer me to a dermatologist ended up with my original Dr as a child who is based at that surgery ? What a joke anyway seen him twice and still not had any tests ect. So made it clear to them im not seeing him again as hes a joke.I'm due in hospital February so I'll let you know maybe it could help you.

Currently in a battle with NHS and my surgery due to them both being jokes.

All the best to you,

Lee

• Posted

Islay, try socking your boxers with strong washing detergent using hot and warm water as well as Ironing them before U wear any. It has worked for me. as well as applying an anti-fungal cream everytime you bath for 1 month.  I had a case where my scrotum was itching seriously, weeping a fluid from the sores, some times even the private part sector would create small patches were puss would come from together with pain. I used to encounter this some times when i was in  public and while i was in my free time, and i was sometimes forced to hide somewhere in toilet/ bathroom/ my bedroom and seriously scratch my ball and even press tha puss to come out because it would produce pain. It kept on disturbing me until I visted a special doctor, who at first accused me of being un clean i.e not changing boxers after bathing, putting on wet boxers and others. So he refused to listen to what he called my lame excuses and he advised me to keep practicing that... whether it has stopped itching or not.. and am nolonger disturbed by the disease so, I would also love to recommend U to try the same thing my brother... I hope to here good news from U next time we chat again...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.