My little heart job.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Being an ex nurse, I should have spotted this ages ago! Have fast AF for 10 years+ Mostly it never hapens, but when it does, it is an hospital case.  

My meds have been changed... Sotalol worked fine for ages. A statin is still on the PX, but asprin has gone.

Amiodarone , last choice, as digoxin et al did not have thwe desired effect.

The boffins are thinking about ablation and a bit of soldering/ welding!

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have had bouts of AF for many years and usually go back to sinus rhythm automatically.   I have had a few trips to A and E with it.   However Sotalol has seemed to help until recently.   My cardiologist put me on amiodarone and I started it 2 weeks ago.    Last Friday I ended up in A and E and the consultant there said I was having a very bad reaction to it - almost like poisoning.   My GP tells me that I have just to "ride it out" until it gets out of my system, but I am feeling terrible.    Like you, I have been told about ablation but again my GP says it does not work all that well.    

Today my husband was at his cardiologist and he mentioned about me and she said that there are definitely other drugs to help AF.  Have you tried them??

I am completely fed up with this now as my quality of life is being affected.

• Posted

Whatever about the efficaciy of amiodarone MAKE SURE YOUR THYROID FUNCTION IS BEING CHECKING !   My husband was put on amiodarrone for AF without any checks and his thyroid was completel wiped out before a vigilant GP - not the consultant prescribing the drug -  spotted his symptoms and sent him for a blood test.  The lab phoned thruogh the results and advised immediate treatment with thyroxine. He came off amiodarone but his thryoid has not recovered over a year later.
    • Posted

I am in the same position' was put on high doses of Amiodarone before going for a Cardio version. My doctors didn't take bloods first, before taking this med. few weeks later, I was told go to my clinic for bloods, prior for the Cardio version, next day I got a frantic from the Renal consultant at hospital, go to the ward immediately, there was a bed for me, apparently I was on the border Renal failure! Three months later my renal function has finally crept up, but will be on meds for long term, so I have a big red flash on the screen in my GP practice, no Amiodaron, but still got AF. 
    • Posted

I have been taking Amiorderone fo four months now. After my ablation I immediately went into atrialflutter, lowered my heart rate in hospital with intravenous amioderone and diltiazem. Plus all my ovals. I also tale amlodipine for blood pressure, which I only get with afib, also I take toprol, have for 20 years for Tachycardia, and pvc's.  Probably tmi. Sorry.  I went home with 400 mg of amio and after 2 weeks my afib stopped.  But. Ablation was on mar 29 of this year.  A few weeks ago about the same time everyday my face gets really flushed an uncomfortable.  The I started having increased bp. And a faster heart rate, which with my meds has been sometimes 48 but mostly in the 50s. Now it goes up as high as 110. Only lasting from a few minutes to 6 hours.  Go to bed and wake up all gone. Can that be from Thyroid. My dr checked lungs thyroid and liver when I first started taking it and all was good k.  I see him in about a week. But no afib. Thank u for your help. I'm really scared of the side effects. I am 68. I do seem to have blurry vision some time. Plus my eyes burn when my face is hot.  Sandy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.