My mother was diagnosed with severe actute Pancreatitis ...

Posted , 15 users are following.

My mother was diagnosed with severe actute Pancreatitis last month. Until then I had never heard of this condition. Mum was admitted on the Monday with severe abdomen pain and vomiting. The hospital quickly diagnosed Pancreatitis, at what stage was unknown. They immediately put Mum on a drip and pain relief although Mum said the pain relief was hardly touching it. Mum then had an x-ray and was then admitted to a ward. Tuesday evening she was admitted to Intensive Care as the condition had got a lot worse. By Wednesday afternoon Mum was placed on a ventilator as lung complications had started. By Friday Mum's kidneys had started to fail and the lung condition was very much worse.

Mum died on the Saturday - only 5 days after being admitted due to multi organ failure.

The only previous symptom Mum had was 9 days previously she had bad pain in her abdomen, she went to bed with a hot water bottle and the pain went. Until that fateful Monday, Mum had no other pains/symptoms.

More people need to be made aware of this disease. Perhaps if we had more knowledge, as soon as she received the first pain 9 days previously, we could have prevented her death ......

[i:f6373b409b]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:f6373b409b]

3 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

My mom was addmitted into hospital with pancreatitis back in dec she too had multiple organ failure and then died due to developing septicemia whilst in hospital all of this was caused by gallstones and i feel thatr when you are diagnosed with gallstones then the doctor who diagnosed you should make you aware of the severity of complications that can occur instaed of just putting you on a waiting list and making out as though you are just waiting for an ingrowing toe nail to be taken out. if we had have known that gallstones could cause acute panceatitis and then death we would have gone private and paid for an immediate operation, and i think it is appauling that we were not given the option .

[i:bf9b3bb7ec]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:bf9b3bb7ec]

• Posted

The same thing happened to my father, although he was under the hospital for 13 months waiting for a gallstone operation to cure his Acute Pancreatitis. He was admitted to hospital 3 times before the last time when he died of multi organ failure. Once again the NHS made it seem as though he was waiting for an operation that was not important and had we known we would have paid for private treatment and he would probably still be with us today.

Last year I myself was diagnosed with Gallstones and immediately being a member of BUPA I was taken in within the week and had my gallbladder removed. I am ashamed to say that our NHS system are failing us every day when they cannot give this minor operation which is so important to save peoples lives. The NHS are denying responsiblity for their negligence in the death of my father.

• Posted

I had an acute severa attack, I went to my doctors and they just said I had been overdoing it (as it was xmas), and told me to get some inidgestion relief. I told them that this was far more painful, and that I hadn't been drinking, they wouldn't listen. Later that day I collapsed and was admitted to A&E. I lost 80% of my pancreas and was told I was very lucky to make a good recovery, however I can't help but feel that my doctor should have made more of a thorough investigation in the first place. I was lucky, others may not be so lucky. Why aren't doctors more aware of this condition?
    • Posted

I had this same thing happen in November 2017.  Curious how you are doing today?
  • Posted

I agree. As a nurse myself working for the NHS, I whole heartedly agree that the NHS appears to have failed patients from the experiences written. I always treat my patients as if they were my parents as who knows one day they may be. It is very frustrating to have to watch this happen as us meer staff nurses have no power to do anything.
  • Posted

hi my dad died 8 weeks ago from acute pacreatitis, it turned out that he had gallstones, my dad was in icu for7 weeks, by the end he was a painfully thin but swollen man that could not move, speak or think clearly. the damage done by the pancreatitis was horrific and this needs more research to find a prevention.

when my dad deterioted in the high dependancy unit and the inflammation went to his brain he acted strangely and agressively. one nurse told me she thought my dad was having alcohol withdrawal, i had to defend my dad by saying he was not a drinker and was usually a gentle man, they refused to sedate him without my presence and my sister and i held him whilst they did it, i am disappointed that staff did not act to us saying my dad was acting strange and not coherent the night before, the nursing staff made it clear they thought my dad had committed an offence, whilst drs told us it was due to the inflammation on the brian and my dad was not responsible for his actions, this added to an already stressful situation for my family and of course dad,

i find it hard to forget the pain,suffering and delirium my dad experienced. i am only glad he is no longer suffering.

• Posted

I was admitted to a&e 3 weeks after having my son by ceseran section at the age of 19. The pain is indescribleable by far the worst pain I've ever experianced! I was in a&e for 4 hours before being sent home being told the pain in my back was the epidural I had  and told to go home. I felt like a stupid little girl wasting there time, I went home slept all day and felt a bit better. Within 24 hours the pain was 1000x worse than the previous day and called another ambalance. It was quickly diagnosed as acute pancritius secondary to gallstones. Why it was not diagnosed the day before I don't no! That mistake could have changed everything but thankfully it didn't. I was admitted to a ward for a day and quickly got worse and the diagnosis was now necrotting pancrititus, I was then admitted to ITU for 5 weeks, I had a sirs response (where the organs slowly shut down) my lungs were drained my stomache drained, NG feeding tubes, central lines, morphine pumps, gas blood lines, put on an oxagan mask fixed onto my face. The staff in ITU we're amazing and I'm so grateful to them. I'm currently waiting to have my gallbladder removed and psydocysts  drained.

This is such a nasty disease and has no awareness! I hope that the medical team that turned me away will never do this to any other patient! I'm convinced my age and otherwise good health helped me get through this. Let's just hope the medics can recognise this early on.....

• Posted

My husband passed away on 1st December 2014 from acute necrotizingpancreatitis having only been taken Ill on 28th November 2014. He had in the past suffered from (what he thought) was just indigestion causing wind and pain, perhaps this was an early pancreatitis warning. He had no gallstones, nor was he an alcoholic and also followed a largely healthy diet. There is definitely a good case for an awareness campaign. This is a disease that I had not heard of before this very sad outcome.
    • Posted

Very sorry for your loss. I pray that you find comfort and peace in the coming days and new year.
    • Posted

So so sad for your loss. Its not easy. My dad passed away in May 2012, like your husband no sign of any illness just heartburn. He was admitted on the Tues evening and died of organ failure on the Fri. Such a terrible shock. We miss him terribly...all caused by acute pancreatitis.
  • Posted

My mum too was fit and well before developing acute pancreatitis suddenly 3 weeks ago.  She was diagnosed very quickly once in hospital but deteriorated so quickly that the hospital turned off life support only 5 days later.  No reason, no explanation - the doctors just couldn't give me answers.  She had no prior symptoms and she died from multiple organ failure.  Its so sad and shocking and my heart goes out to you all.

• Posted

I am so sorry and registered so that I could tell you so.I've lost both parents recently from cancer and it's absolutely heartbreaking my prayers are with you and your families. My sister has chronic pancreatitis and has survived 2 bouts of acute pancreatitis twice,once sepcis.she went into cardiac arrest once it took 8 minutes to get her back.she was in a coma for 2 weeks.we are very close and I didn't leave her side.thank you for sharing your stories.I have gallstones and will act promptly should any symptoms arise,and will watch my apparently very lucky sister like a hawk.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing- we are going through this with my brother now. Exact same symptoms. We are on day 11- he is still fighting. Definitely was not aware of anything like this.
  • Posted

I am so very sorry to hear about your loss. Yes, more people need to be aware of the signs and symptoms of this disease. It is a daily struggle just to eat food. Please take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.