I had a kidney infection causing the following symptoms:...

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a kidney infection causing the following symptoms:

back pain, fever, loss of appetite, fatigue, dizziness, pains which moved around my stomach and abdomen, a strange oily taste in my mouth which became worse (when i drank water it tasted like milk), nausea uncontrollable shivering, night sweats (10-15 times a night). It took my GP 3 visits to diagnose a kidney infection - he eventually took a urine sample and found blood and nitrates in my urine. Previously he told me i was 'over anxious' or 'possibly pregnant' (false).

[i:b50d7d18a3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b50d7d18a3]

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Geeez. What is so hard about collecting a urine sample, your M.D. should have collected one to rule out pregnancy. Lucky for you there weren't any complication, and lucky for him as well.

Nurse Jaz

[i:703ab637f4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:703ab637f4]

• Posted

READING YOUR EXPERIENCE OF DIAGNOSIS CERTAINLY MAKES ME VERY WEARY OF THE DOCTORS. I WAS IN EXETER SHOPPING, I HAD MY PERIOD THAT HAD STARTED BEFORE I LEFT. I ENDED UP WITH REALLY BAD PAIN IN MY LOWER BACK AND ALSO MY STOMACH. I THOUGHT GRRREAT ANOTHER BAD PERIOD! ALL THROUGH THE NIGHT I WAS SWEATING THEN FREEZING, FEELING SICK AND DIZZY. MY SISTER PHONED OUT OF HOURS DOCTORS AT DERRIFORD WHERE A DOCTOR TOLD HER TO GO TO THE CHEMIST AND BUY CYMALON. MY SISTER WENT ON TO EXPLAIN THAT I HAD SUFFERED FROM AN ACUTE KIDNEY INFECTION IN THE PAST AND THOUGHT I SHOULD SEE A DOCTOR. HE WAS HAVING NONE OF IT. BASICLY TAKE THE MEDICATION I HAVE TOLD YOU TO BUY AND OFF YOU GO.. MY SISTER WAS FURIOUS AND WENT ON TO PHONE MOUNT GOULD OUT OF HOURS. UP I WENT IN MY PYJAMAS DRESSING GOWN AND SLIPPERS LOOKING LIKE SOMETHING DRAGGED OUT OF A BIN ( I REALLY WAS NOT WELL) AND HERE I AM TODAY SECOND DAY INTO MY ANTIBIOTICS FEELING FAT, BLOATED, TRYING TO GUZZLE WATER AND FEARING TAKING THE NIGHT TIME PILL IN CASE I THROW UP BUT KNOWING WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I DONT! NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE. :cry:
  • Posted

I don't bother to see my normal GP most of the time, cos they always make me feel like I'm wasting their time and they can't wait to get rid of me. I had been in immense pain for five days, yesterday I saw the local emergency on-call doctor and she prescribed a kidney infection. Thank goodness I know what it is. I thought I was going mad - couldn't really place the pain - stomach bug? Backache? Migraine? all at the same time - no vomiting or diarrhoea though - kidneys never occured to me. Just Googled it and found this site - very helpful, and I will know the signs in future!
    • Posted

Hi Guest I'm currently in bed with shivers and freezing/boiling with a flushed face! Just been told I have a UTI is it possible to feel like flu?? Just about to start 2 no course of antibiotics....god I feel awful!!!

• Posted

I have hadbthe same symptoms for a month now visited the ER and my GP a few times and no one could properly diagnose me. Eventually I was hit with anxiety, then a sinus infection and just today January 11th 2016, I was finally given a kidney exam as well as a urine sample nd it was determined I have a kidney infection which was the results of a UTI which spread to my kidneys. I am experiencing dizziness, pains a nasty taste in my mouth and using the bathroom on a constant basis. I feel like my I'm about to pass out on a regular.
    • Posted

How long have you had symptoms of UTI before being diagnosed for kidney infection? Because I've had symptoms of UTI since a year ago and never get it treated. Still had the symptoms till now. I'm afraid it had spread to my kidneys. Please help mesad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.