How long does gabapentin take to work

Posted , 33 users are following.

Been given gabapentin a week ago any idea how long it takes to work thanks 

3 likes, 46 replies

46 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Karen, it took me about three weeks to feel the full effects of the nerve blocker. I took for about six months for sciatica nerve pain associated with a nerve that is being compressed between L-3-4 vertebrae. I experienced great releif at first until I was able to get a steriod injection that cleared up the inflamation that was causing some pain. Don't remember any serious side effects, would take it again for nerve pain blockage.   Will
    • Posted

Thanks William I've been on them for over a week now but pain still there on 300 mg 3 times a day think I need it increasing 
    • Posted

Hi Wiliiam,

I've just come down from orbit after a very painful experience with Sciatica.

I have been through the usual list of pain killers.

After the back pain subsided my left thigh developed a sensation exactly like sunburn! I have been prescribed Gabapentin and started on 300mg x3 a day.  I was told to increase it if nothing happened and am now on 900 x3 a day.  I am now 7 days into using it and the 3rd day of 900 x3 a day.  Still no effect on the burning sensation. 

What dosage were you on?

How did you reduce the dosage to come of it?

I have read mostly negative reviews of the drug so yours stood out.

I loook forward to hearing from you.

Peter

• Posted

Apologies for the typos in my last correspodence!
  • Posted

Takes a few days, ive been on it on and off and had a TN flare up weeks and a half and im still in pain not as much but the dosage i was on wasnt enough i was still in pain so went back to my GP, he increased the dosage from 300mg 3 times a day to 400mg 4  times a day but can be still increased, but the doctor i saw today wanted me to stay on 400mg 4 times a day and 10mg of amytriptaline which i took initially years back and spent 20hours out of 24 asleep lol x
    • Posted

Think I need mine increasing Karen been given 300mg 3 times a day, been on them just over a week fingers crossed 
  • Posted

Well I wish they worked for me I have taken 183 tabs with 2 trams and paracetamol 4 x a day been awake in cronic pain again they don't help me at all
  • Posted

Its worth speaking to your Doctor to get them increased and see how you go, i take mine with Ibuprofen and paracetamol too, however i even being on these i had a flare up in the night that woke me up then it went again as quick as it started x I hope you get some relief soon its so hard being in pain all the time people do not realise how it effects you, your mood, your sleep, it makes you miserable and wares you down, Im waiting to see a Rheumatologist so will see from there all my joints are naff its only my knee and hips that are ok every thing else well id rather not go there x

• Posted

I went to my doctors earlier and he has taken me off gaperpentin and put me on lyricra so fingers crossed they will work x
  • Posted

Fingers crossed that works for you Angela, you will have to let us know how you get on with it hope it gives you some relief x
  • Posted

Dependant on dose approximately 2 weeks. Keep in mind everyone has a different chemical make up. So it works for some quickly. If pain persists see yr GP. Good luck. I know all you can think of is pain...
  • Posted

Hi Karen. I was prescribed Gabapentin 2 months ago and I'm still not feeling any pain relief. It all depends on how much you need. I started on 300mg once a day, up to 3 times a day. I need relief from having spinal fusion surgery. My doctor has advised me to slowly up to 600mg 3 times a day. A total of 1800mg daily. Going to see if this helps. 

It it seemed a huge amount to take until I started reading people's stories on here. Feel less worried now.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.