Leg infection (cellulitis?)

Posted , 8 users are following.

I am being treated for a leg infection. My GP has given me Klaricid (clarithromycin) 250mg tablets. I have taken 8 tablets and there has been no improvement in my condition. My leg does not hurt but there is a burning, itching sensation and it is swollen and red. In February I was diagnosed with gout and the infection has followed soon after the gout was cured....at first I thought I was experiencing an allergic reaction to the gout medication.

I have had cellulitis before and was hospitalised. On that occasion the redness extended up to the knee and I could not weight-bear because of the pain. This time the leg does not hurt except the ankle is very stiff but this burning, itching sensation is awful and is stopping me from sleeping.

Anyone had a similar experience where an infection is a burning itching sensation and how long before it was cured? I am allergic to penicillin by the way.

Thanks, Sheila

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You should let Your Doctor know about the medicines not working out. May be he would change that would be more effective. And yeah my cousin suffered through this so total cure may take time but a relaxation to huge extent is provided by medicines.

• Posted

On Monday evening my cellulitis flared up again and the doctor has given me clarithromycin.  I do feel very weak and not my usual self.  One benefit seems to be that my ankles are NOT swollen which I imagine is unusual.   Legs very hot, red and slightly itchy.
    • Posted

I know I am replying to myself but I wanted to say that I have finished the antibiotics and felt fine.  However, I have now developed very tingly skin where the cellulitis was before.   As you can see it is nearly 1am and I cannot get to sleep because of this.  I hope the cellutlis isn't returning.
  • Posted

Look up Erythromelalgia, I had exactly the same the docs thought it was cellulitis I had 2 weeks of antibiotics no different! It's not pain in the normal sense feels more like bad sunburn and can itch. Is it better if you cool it down does it go any better? Do you have very dry skin and cracking skin? I have just been to a dermatologist who agreed with my own diagnosis. You say your ankle is stiff do you have rheumatoid arthritis, as this is one of the causes of EM for short?
  • Posted

Hi, thanks for all your replies.  I posted the original message some time ago.  My oriiginal bout of cellulitis some years ago left my skin scarred and prone to further infection.  The more recent infection did respond to treatment and I needed tablets for the itchiness which was a reaction to the clarithromycin.  The gout has never returned (fingers crossed) since I stopped taking bendroflumethiazide for high blood pressure.  I have to keep my legs well moisturised to help keep the skin intact - yes the skin is cracked and sore.  I also have a burn on one leg from sun tanning equipment - give these things a wide berth - this also contributes to being prone to infection.  Thanks for all your messages.  Sheila
    • Posted

If you read what I said above at 1am today, you will see I am having the same symptoms with a burning prickly sensation in the area where I recently had cellulitis.   I actually didn't sleep all night in the end and feel very weird this morning.  My legs are not red but slightly warm to the touch.  I too have dry skin and also have just finished a 7 day course of Clarithromycin!
  • Posted

To Gill64230- perhaps you pay another visit to your doctor.  Maybe there is some residual infection?  I am trying to find the name of the medicine the doctor gave me to counter the irritation caused by the clarithromycin.  I had pills and also used a light compression stocking plus E45 cream for itchy skin -which needed applying a couple of times during the night in order to be able to sleep.  When I was hospitalised I had no irritation, only pain but I think they used a different antibiotic.  Sorry, it's some time ago now.  If you're in doubt about seeing your doctor, have a chat with your local pharmacist.  Sheltielife - I have osteoarthritis in my hips but ankles become swollen due to water retention caused by side effects of anti-epileptic medication plus they became stiff when the cellulitis was bad.  Will look back over my old diaries to see if I can find anything more useful!  Sheila
    • Posted

I did go back to the doctor and she gave me some steriod ointment which I applied twice yesterday.  However my legs where the cellulitis had been, are still very sore and hot.  I stopped using the ointment and have taken paracetamol for the pain.   I am going to take an anti-histamine tablet after lunch and hopefully this will help.
  • Posted

Gill64230 - "sore and hot" sounds to me like there may still be some infection present....obviously I'm not a medic but is it possible for you to see a different doctor at your practice?  The skin on my leg has remained tender and I have to be careful not to scratch it and cause further infection - hence using large amounts of moisturiser - E45 intensive recovery cream is good although a bit pricey...perhaps you could get it on minor ailments at your surgery?  I've always found the advice that my pharmicist gives has been extremely helpful.  I have also taken anti-histamines to help with itchiness.
  • Posted

Sorry Gill64230 - minor ailments' treatments are from your pharmacist not your surgery.
    • Posted

I think I may have found out what is causing the burning soreness.  I take quinine tablets for leg cramps but didn 't take it yesterday but did today.   After taking it today I have developed the soreness again.  The leaflet does say that it is one of the side effects!  So no more quinine!
  • Posted

I have taken a Piriton and hope it helps me sleep.   I slept OK yesterday but alread tonight I am very uncomfortable.
    • Posted

I didn't take the quinine yesterday and today my legs are much better, almost back to normal.  However, I do feel rather weary and loathe to do anything!  Thank goodness I am retired!
    • Posted

I'm experiancing something similar to you although I haven't had cellulitis for over a month. After your tingling sensation, did your cellultis ever come back?
  • Posted

This is ironic but after not having a bad case of ceullulitis since 2002, I woke up on Saturday morning shivering violently and feverish and with a leg scarlet from foot almost to knee.  I saw emergency doc who gave me clarithromycin (500mg) to take once a day and told me to see my own doc if no better in a couple of days.  I felt very nauseous and ill - so ill I couldn't face taking my regular medication and I'm pretty sure I had a seiazure in my sleep.  My own doc changed the meds to ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day.  There is some slight improvement in the leg but very painful.  He also gave me pills for nausea - cyclizine 50mg which worked very quickly.  I don't feel quite so ill now that the nausea has gone but have no energy.  Have just noticed that a lump has appeared on my lip - I'm desperatly hoping it's a cold sore and not a cellulitis thing.  I've hardly eaten since Saturday so bound to be a bit 'run down'.  I'm retired too Gill64230 - the first time I had it really badly I wasn't and work did put pressure on me (subtly) to return before I was ready.  Oh my doc said c. can be related to athlete's foot which I do suffer from and I'd put far too much cream on and brought some skin off. Sheil

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.