TVT and posterior repair

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hallo all you girls.....Isnt it great to get support and advice from fellow women?  I am 3 weeks past TVT and posterior repair. Some of you ladies seem to get lots of probs but so far..none at all. Yes,I was expecting to be sore and needing a ring cushion...a good idea to get this before you go in.. for tender bits but apart from that I am really pleased with the outcome of both procedures. Pain immediately after the op was minimal with Morphine and then paracetamol. First 'poo' expect to be a bit painful...you must RELAX and not strain and above all you must use something like FYBOGEL every day to keep the motion soft.   I didnt need any painkillers after 1 week. Make sure you have plenty of sanitary towels when you are discharged as you will bleed a bit and then have a brownish disharge which will gradually fade to creamy yellow. Please no Tampons!!!

So many people have told me to take it easy so I reckon allow 100 days and try to improve 1% each day. No lifting or standing long periods. Dont be bamboozled into doing stuff because you feel guilty......look after your body,ladies! 

As for the TVT... I pondered this for a long time but i am so glad to get it done. Havent spilled a drop when coughing sneezing etc. Only works for stress incontinence which I had for a long [10 years] time . Expect some blood in your urine at first but this quickly clears. The 2 external stitches are a good indicator of how you are healing internally. 

Avoid baths because of the risk of infection but showers are OK.

Hope all this helps those thinking of the ops but a bit scared. Stay positive  and you will soon be on the mend.   

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Can all of you please explain what a TVT is?  I am from Canada and do not know!  Thank you!  
    • Posted

Hallo,   A TVT is a transvaginal tape which makes a sling for the urethra....the tube which leads from the bladder to the outside. Mine had collapsed which was giving me stress incontinence ie leaking,sometimes embarrassingly so when I coughed,sneezed,was startled,fell over {ha ha} or fell off my bike {again ha ha}. TVT started about 10 years ago in USA but is now being done in some UK hospitals.  Have a go at 'Googling' it for the nitty gritty of how its done.

Not suitable for urge incontinence. Hope that helps

• Posted

So pleased all is well for you. I am 1 week post op and have lots of pain aches and still bleeding I wondered what the stitches where on the outside in my groin ha! Xx
  • Posted

Very happy with my TVT tape too so far. Its still a bit sore around the tape ends in the groin but put good use to old underware has helped with the scratchy feeling and being too tight in the leg.

it takes longer to urinate now but being told it will settle down in time...only had surgery three days ago.

• Posted

Hi could you please tell me I have 2 loose bits one in each groin they look awful will they dissappear?
    • Posted

Yes. My doc said if they need redjusting she can loosen it from there. After any adjusting she clips it short then it retracts inside the body where skin will grow over it.
    • Posted

Aww thank you so much I was not told any off this and I havent even got a follow up appointment x
    • Posted

Hallo...do you actually have the tape ends protruding?   I dont, although I can feel lumps under the skin where the ends probably are. The stitches have dropped off now.   I was only told to phone for a follow up if I was concerned. I wonder where you had your op...was it in the UK?. Mine was done in Kent,UK.    Different consultants seem to have different techniques.
    • Posted

Can't locate my little mirror to see so I don't know. Probably not, my left one is real scratchy now must be the stitch healing.

Day four for me and feel real bad today, feverish like with light discomfort.

Hubby ordered me a new thermometer from Boots today...ours stopped registering sad

hope no infection starts, I really don't 

I had my done in N Yorkshire, Dewsbury

• Posted

You must have your stitches in a different place to me. I can clearly see where they were without the aid of a mirror.  Imagine the V of the pubic area . Mine are inside the V about 2inches down from the top. 

If you start to feel really bad you must get advice. DONT push yourself to do too much...you should be having at least 1 hour of rest with your feet up each day.

• Posted

They are right in the crease of my groin, have spoken to the Hospital to day and I am getting a follow up appointment, just have to get on with it and hope it gets better soon  xx

• Posted

Mines located more on the fleshy part, not in the fold
    • Posted

Thank you Marina. I've been in bed since I got home Sunday, and get up only 10 mins out of each hour. It wipes me out to sit up for very long. If I'm not better by tomarrow ill contact my doctor

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.