Terbinafine taste loss - sixth week update.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi Guys,

Just entering my sixth week of taste loss. I'm 68 and have a low BMI, which it seems is not a bonus in recovering one's sense of taste quickly. Unfortunately, food still resembles cardboard and hot and cold drinks sea water. It's been an effort to keep eating and drinking and last week I had real difficulty with it. My wife has been telling me I must eat, but the whole process holds no enjoyment whatsoever. I'm still hoping that my sense of taste will return soon.

I have spoken with the pharmacist at my doctor's practice and he has said that he will recommend to the doctors in the practice that they read up on and tell patients of the debilitating effects of the taste loss problem - which will give the patient the chance, at the outset, to refuse Terbinafine as a treatment if they wish to.

I'll let you know when my taste returns.

Cheers,

John.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi John,

Sorry to hear that you still have not recovered your sense of taste.  It has been 4 weeks for me and I still have not recovered my taste as well.  My husband, like your wife, has been trying to convince me to eat.  I am living on nonfat granola and soda water.  Today is my birthday and I was hoping to have a nice meal and some cake but it just isn't going to happen.  I also have had my down times but I have now reconciled myself to the fact that this is just going to take a while.  I have been drinking Ensure so that I do not loose too much weight.  I have lost 10 lbs which I am very thankful isn't more.

Keep us posted and have a Great day!!

Judy

• Posted

Happy Birthday, Judith!  Horrid that your birthday has fallen in the middle of this taste loss situation. You must celebrate again when you have recovered your taste. (Cake, lots of cake!)

You're right about the down time. I felt that from about the third week in and it has affected my motivation on many fronts. However, this last couple of days my wife and I have had a few things going on (theatre/ friend's booksigning/ someone's 40th birthday and a trip out for Mother's Day meal) and I have been trying to pull myself out of the non-motivation state. I should be getting on with the rewrite on my current novel too, but the creative channel just won't open currently.

Like you, I have now become reconciled to the fact that this will take its own time to resolve. I did get a flicker of something when I ate a fiery curry yesterday - so maybe it's starting. 

You take care and enjoy as much of your birthday as you're able.

Best wishes,

John

• Posted

Thank you, John for the birthday wishes.  Thanks to family and friends I did have a very nice birthday. 

Take Care!

Judy

• Posted

I hate this feeling. I'm experiencing it all. I've been offof terbinafine for about three weeks now. I've kind of just given up on food. Even water tastes weird to me. I hate it. Thanksgiving just passed. Couldn't even enjoy my pumpkin pie. My favorite. Please tell me it comes back.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.