swollen inflamed feet and all joints hurting

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I was wondering if someone could help and maybe give some advice

I have started with a lump in my foot just on the side below the inside ankle. I was told it's a ganglion and nothing to worry about. A week later that area on my foot got really red and swollen and really painful. It was getting worse and then a week later the other foot got really swollen and inflamed and painful. Then all my joints started to hurt so much that I was unable to move, to the point I couldnt get out of bed. I have had loads of blood tests but doctors are still not sure what it is. They think its connected to my ibs? I also had a bad ibs episode few months ago and he thinks it started with that? Has anyone ever heard of this and what does it mean for me? Am I going to be ill forever? I am really worried. Thank you

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susie, I am sorry I cannot help you but welcome on board.  Someone will be along shortly I am sure to answer your questions and give you support, advice and information.  Good luck on your journey.  Regards Pat
  • Posted

Hello susie, you have posted your query on the PMR/GCA forum. Perhaps you could try posting this query on the ibs forum. I'm sure you would get loads more replies. All the best, christina 
  • Posted

Susie - I think you may have ended up on the wrong place as the members of this forum have a diagnosis of PMR. Your symptoms really don't sound like ours.

Has your GP referred you to a rheumatologist? Because i think that might a good place to start.

Hope you get some answers soon.

• Posted

Hi sorry I thought this was about arthritis. Yes I was referred to rheumatologist. I am only 31 years old. I get such a bad pain in my foot that I cant walk. It feels as soon as I put my foot down I can feel something like fluid or blood travelling into the foot and causing burning pain and not sure what I have.

sorry I posted in wrong place.

thank you

• Posted

Don't ever apologize for Reaching Out....we have all done this in order to find answers, and understanding, and I am proud that you took this step.  None of know where to look, until we do...and if your rheumatologist is caring for you, then who knows what/who you need...just because no-one else has similar symptoms/IBS, (although I have read that IBS can be a symptom for some suffers), you may find answers somewhere.  If you go to right of this screen, you can see alist of other Medical Conditions that may fit your Illness, and give you clearer answers, otherwise start another forum, and I bet you find people like yourself who need the same answers.   I also research my symptoms on Google (or similar sites), and this is how I came upon this forum....good luck and keep searching/seeking answers.   Bron
    • Posted

You've been moved to the right place now.

No need to apologise, it may not even have been your fault it got where it did, it happens all the time! However - after I posted before, something at the back of my mind tells me I have read recently about gut problems that have been labelled as IBS actually being part of an autoimmune problem that also causes arthritis. Have you been properly diagnosed with IBS? That means have all the other possibilites been ruled out or did a GP just say it was IBS because you have an upset gut? It happens a lot - IBS blamed first instead of it being what is called a "diagnosis of exclusion", i.e. everything else it could be has been ruled out. Such as coeliac disease?

Good luck though and I'm sure things will get better.

• Posted

That sounds dreadful!  I sure hope you can find some help for it soon! 
  • Posted

hello susie, welcome, i cannot help you in your enquiry , but i started with something similar on the top of my left foot, and when i started taking pred medication it went down, if i do too much walking sometimes it aches.

I dont think it is the same, but we have some great ladies who know so much i am sure you will get help, .

• Posted

Thank you all for your kind help. Apparently I dont have celiac disease. I did ask and they tested me for it as my mum has it. I had colonoscopy and they basically said I was healthy so had to be ibs. I didnt believe it as it didnt matter what I ate I always had diarrhea. I had to take immodium to be able to go out or work. Anyway it somehow got a bit better but now this horrible pain in all my joints. My feet are so swollen and red. I took one naproxen and woke up this morning and feel so much better. I can even walk down the stairs using both legs smile how sad for someone who is 31 years old. Anyone with similar problems?
    • Posted

Hi susie123;  if Naprosan helped, it certainly sounds like an Inflammatory process going on in your feet...for that's what Naprosan (Naproxen) is...an Anti-inflammatory....really sounds like you need to talk to a Rheumatologist..I wish you ALL the best.....with a few more blood workups, you should come up with some answers ....have you even had feet x-rayed?  Sounds to me like you could do with a LOT more investigations...Bron
    • Posted

Hi, yes had my feet (ankles) x-rayed and apparently there was nothing wrong with them, also had my hands x-rayed but don't know the results yet. I am waiting for blood results, not sure what they are testing me for but it's probably more thorough because I already had loads of blood tests done and all came back fine. I just hope it's nothing too serious sad
  • Posted

Hi there. So sorry to read about your illness and that you don't yet have a diagnosis. I am also (relatively) young and have developed arthritic symptoms in the last 6 months which docs currently think is reactive arthritis or the early stages of Psioriatic arthritis.  The fact that you mentioned IBS made me wonder if it could be reactive arthritis as I know that can be triggered by tummy infections. It could well be that your bad bout of IBS was perhaps triggered by an infection which has also triggered reactive arthritis? . It's worth reading up on it by looking at the arthritis research uk website to see if any of it rings true for you.  My blood tests also came back clear btw.  it can be scary to deal with something like this at such a young age, but try your best to stay positive. I found that as much as moving and using my hands was extremely difficult if I did try and move about and use my hands then sometimes they did seem to ease off a little as the day went on.  Not to say I don't have bad days but feeling positive does help you tackle those bad days.  

What medication have they given you in the meantime? What doctors have you seen? Is it just you GPs or have you had a referral to a rheumatologist? If you have any questions, just ask. Take care of yourself and rest up when you can. Best wishes, F 

• Posted

Hi, yes they also think it could be psoriatic arthiritis or reactive, but these are all still just guesses. I don't want any illness like this, I wish I could go back to being quite healthy again sad I was given flucloxacillin at first as they thought it could be cellulitis, but after 4 days of no improvement, and it just getting worse, they decided it's not cellulitis and told me to take naproxen. I took one tablet and the pain in my joints was gone. I again feel a lot better but my feet are still really swollen and red and inflamed. When I put my foot on the floor, one foot goes really red and starts to burn that it's painful to even stand or walk. I am not sure why. I also have lumps in my feet, which I find really strange. I don't know what's going on with me sad why is it that when my feet are elevated, they are ok but as soon as I put them down on the floor, blood goes into my foot and it burns like mad? I can't even put them in hot water as it makes them go so red and burn like hell. That doesn't seem like arthiritis to me?? does it? 
    • Posted

Gosh that burning sounds awful! I would definitely want to follow that up with yOur rheumatologist. I do think though that inflammation can cause all sorts of things similar to that.  I'm sure though that I've read somewhere that skin issues can be part of Reactive arthritis for some people. It might be worth a post on the reactive arthritis group to see if anyone has had anything similar. Also Can't recommend enough reading the arthritis research uk website though as the descriptors of different arthritis might help.  

I am not a medical expert but the fact that naproxen works for you is a huge bonus. As others have said here it is an anti inflammatory and if it's working it would suggest that there is inflammation.   I tried all sorts of amounts of naproxen and nothing came close to tackling the swelling and pain so have had to move on to steroids and am currently trying alternatives. 

Regarding  the lumps, my wrists, hands and fingers are quite badly effected and on days when it is worst strange lumps form on the palms of my hands and on my wrists.  At times these can be quite solid and at other times they are softer to touch, then on good days they disappear altogether.  I have mentioned these to GP but she seems to think that they are typical of arthritis. Perhaps the lumps in your feet are similar? I would love to hear if other people get these as it was quite disturbing the first time they arrived!

I know exactly how frustrating feeling "ill" is.  I think naively a lot of us before experiencing it first hand, presume that arthritis is an old persons disease.  I'm not sure if that misconception adds to the frustrations or not.  I know I've had days when I've just thought I shouldn't be dealing with this at this age.  I have a young family though and despite it at times adding to the hurdles I have to get over to get out for the day, it has also given me some perspective and a purpose to stay mentally strong and keep battling on.  know that there will be a way through this, either through medication or time if you stay focused and keep working with the docs  for a diagnosis.    Stay strong, best wishes with your search for answers, and remember you're not alone in this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.