2 yr old has Molluscum, and it won't go away! Please Help!!

Posted , 16 users are following.

My 2yr old son has had molluscum for almost 3 months now and it just keeps getting worse! I feel like I've tried everything, but it either doesn't work or hurts when applied.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm getting desperate at this point and it's obviously not just "going away on its own" like the doctor said rolleyes

Thank you in advance...any help or advice is greatly appreciated!!

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Maggie. My daughter had it for 9 months and I tried everything, but nothing helped. I read online that someone had used duct tape on the molluscum and they had disapeared. I put duct tape on my daughter's molluscum when she was at home and in bed, then when she went to school I used calamine lotion. It had all gone in less than two weeks. Hope this works for you, I know how awful it is.
    • Posted

Helen,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer!! I've heard fo the duct tape method but I'm just very hesitant to try with my son being so young and some of the bumps being located on his face and bottom. Did she complain a lot when you removed the duct tape? I just don't want to cause him any more pain rolleyes

• Posted

Hi Maggie  My daughter had it for about a year when she was four, had her at docs a few times, to cut a long story short the last doc I seen (hadn't seen this doc before) was because she had one on her eye lid so couldn't use the cream etc I had been given, she pricked it with a hypodermic needle and within a couple of days it had dissappeared I couldn't believe it was so easy.  I bought some hypordemic needles from ebay and pricked the rest of them a few at a time while she was sleeping soundly, very gently and just on the actual molluscum pierce them from the side/top and have a tissue ready to dab, if you damage the centre of them they die.  Sudocrem stops them spreading so I would apply this afterwards, all done in her sleep and she wasn't aware of it at all, any that appear after this you can get them while they are still small.  it didn't leave a scar either.  I hope you get on OK with this I know how you feel.
  • Posted

Hi my 2 year old also suffered terribly with this and to be told by the Drs it will just go away is not really the response you want to hear. I really tried everything but the one thing that did work was hyperdermic needles I didn't want to cause my daughter any pain. I popped the core at night when she was asleep (the yellow bit is the bit that spreads) and then they crusted over. My daughter is spot and scare free now aged 4. I di hope it works for you remember to protect yourself too with gloves. I also changed pjs and sheets ans towels very often. Good luck
  • Posted

I'm reposting what I told another parent a year ago. It should help.

I have an 8 year old autistic son and when he was 5 he had it for almost 16 months! Finally on a whim I tried something and it cleared it up imediately. While he was sleeping I took a pair of tweezers and gloves and I pulled each one out at the base. When you pull then out you see a tiny root and you are surprised at the size of the hole left behind its much smaller than the actual bulb that was on top. I focused on one area a night. First his arms and ribs. Next his legs, knees, and ankles, last any strays. It doesn't leave scars, you wipe the tweezers in between each pluck on a alcohol rag. By almost a day and a half later you can't even find the little holes left from the roots. 

Because they have roots they can be a little painful to pull. This is why I did it when my son was fast asleep. Spacing it out. No new ones popped up and my son never had them again. My son also has eczama so I never tried any cream or lotion or topical remedies because they just would have made his eczema worse. For us the tweezer method while it took patience, fixed it by weeks end. 

• Posted

Hi, my daughter has had them under her chin on her neck for a good few months at first they were skin courses but they keep getting irritated abs going red. They are also starting to spread on to one of her shoulders. She is 3 and I can't use tweezers or a needle she would wake up if I did it in her sleep. Seen the GP twice and she won't give me anything. What is this cream used for and do they really go eventually?
  • Posted

Hi Maggie, I just now saw your message regarding Molluscum contagiosum infection.

I see that your lilte boy has been infected and you got many comments about how to deal with this viral infection. My son (age 6) also got infection recently and i am looking for help as well.

Can you tell me please how your liitle boy is doing now, what treatments you went through and any advice you could give me.

I also wonder if any other parent have any advice how to deal with this infection as doctors do not give any medications or any treatment advice.

Thank you.

• Posted

My son also had that 3yrs ago, the only thing that worked was medicine I bought online called Zymaderm for mollucusm contagiosum, within a week all bumps disappeared, please try this, it really worked
    • Posted

Hello jacqueline,

thank you for your reply. Yesterday I visited another doctor and he admitted there is Chicken pox not molluscus. How is that? I was so shocked for changing diagnosis as we went through hell and lots of stress during the weekend thinking how to deal with molluscus. I nearly bought meds online and been thinking how long will all last..

Can't trust doctors anymore and if any diagnosis they will give, i will definitelly will be asking for 2nd or even 3rd opinion. good luck for all parents and their little ones

• Posted

I hope this helps. Stop using all the home remedies...they don't work. After months of using various recommendations...nothing worked on my son.  It just got worse.  Our dermatologist finally prescribed Tretinoin cream 0.05% and it worked right away.  He still has a few bumps come up but I apply a tiny amount and it clears right up.  No more embarrassing rash.  If a bump comes to a head, I carefully pop it, remove the head, dab it with peroxide and apply the cream.  I Wish I had done this from the beginning.  It would have saved him a lot of suffering and anxiety.  Good luck. 

• Posted

My 2 year old had this for 8 months.  It started at the same pattern of bumps on her rear for 2 months, and then they began to appear on her chest, legs, and arms.  We followed the doctor's advice which was to leave them alone, watch for oozing or bleeding (which can mean infection or itching), and treat surrounding eczema as needed.  They looked pretty bad for about 5 months and then all of the sudden, they started to disappear.  I think all of this needling and duct tape is a bit ridiculous.  It seems people are concerned more about vanity than safety or common sense.  If they aren't itchy, bleeding or oozing, there is nothing for you to do but be patient and wait.  By the way, Tretinoin is not something I would use on a child without doctor supervision or a young child AT ALL. 

• Posted

Hi Maggie. My daughter has had a molluscum for nearly 2 years. Almost used all the creams and home remedies but nothing has worked. I talked to her derma at Adult & Pediatric Dermatology (http://apderm.com/wellesley-ma/) and she suggested to removed every simple bump off. It's really hard to see your little one in pain but now she's perfectly cleared up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.