Worried I may have MS..please help!!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I have suffered with headaches and a numbness/tingling feeling in my right side of my face, arm and sometimes leg for well over 18 months. My GP has been treating me for migraines with beta blockers. I have now stopped taking them and the numb feeling is coming back and getting worse.

I'm also in the process of coming off citalopram which isn't easy.

I visited my GP today for about the 20th time regarding this issue and she has decided to refer me to s neurologist. When I asked about possible MS said that is the only thing she would like to rule out.

I don't have any other symptoms just the numbness, but I'm worrying like mad that it could be the early signs of MS.

I've been wanting a scan for months to help my health anxiety but now I might actually get one I feel like I've already been diagnosed with something terrible.

I'm not sure how long I'm going to have to wait but it's going to be awful, I couldn't cope if it is MS I'm 25 years old with a 3 year old.

Any comments would be much appreciated x

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Your symptoms do sound similar to MS (I have the same and I've had MS for the last 2 years). An MRI and a Lumbar Puncture should be given to help diagnose, but a full blood work and questions about your medical history should also be taken to rule other things out.

MS isn't a terrible disease, but I can understand your fear. I hope that you don't have it but, if you do, you'll be joining 2.5 million supporters of the most common autoimmune disease. There is plenty of groups you can join on Facebook and they do provide a LOT of support xx

• Posted

Hi, thanks for your comment. Would you be able to tell me more details about the first symptoms you had please? How are you now? Can you take medication to help?
    • Posted

My first attack was losing half of my vision in both eyes. That fixed itself to 85-90% but now I need glasses. Since then, I've had 3 more relapses that involved numbness on left hand side and numbness from chest to feet - the numbness has resolved itself but I'm now left with neuropathy from my stomach to my feet, the MS Hug, muscle spasms/tremors and the 'ants over the skin' feeling. None of my relapses have healed 100% unfortunately sad.

I'm only on LDN, no other meds and no DmD. No noticeable relapse for the last year or so, but for all I know that could mean I'm SPMS already. No noticeable changes, but no steady decline either (I think...). I'm definitely not the same as I was 18 months ago though sad

• Posted

being categorised as SP doesn't mean 'worse' than RR, it just means that there won't be any appreciable recovery after a 'flare up'. a person with RRMS can be progressing faster than someone classed as having SPMS, it's very much an individual case for each of us. happily MS isn't fatal, all we can be is pragmatic, i suppose.
    • Posted

Thank you, I don't understand a lot of the terminology sorry! My numb feelings come and go it doesn't effect sensation or movement just feels odd. Quite bad in my right leg today but I don't know if I'm making things worse by worrying. I hope it's something less serious as I wouldn't cope my life is already restricted by anxiety and this would be too hard the thought of getting really bad.
    • Posted

have you had a look at the MS Society's website? it really is a good place to read about MS symptoms and signs. not to mention reading about the experiences people have had, or are having during the diagnosis period. you can get a lot of support too, from those of us either going through the same as you, or who have been where you are. honestly, it really helped me at the beginning and still helps me now, 11 years in! it's free and you can't possibly find more accurate info anywhere else. 
    • Posted

Hi Wendy... I've been worried about my left sided symptoms. They are very subtle but becomes a bit pronounced when I pay attention or think about it. I have HA.

But if you have MS, is it possible you feel absolutely nothing when you're not paying attention like havinga  fun dinner... or chatting with your friends? Or when I'm sleeping... then when you think about it.. some discomfort. Its not easy to describe... i do get pins & needles when Im worried about it at times. When I type, I do see some tremor.. but Im a very anxious person.. often fidgety. I dont sleep well usually.. I often associated these symptons to anxiety and sleep issues but now Im worried about MS. sad

• Posted

hi,

i've been diagnosed with ms for a little over a decade, while there are lots of possible symptoms with MS, it's also possible to have a very slow developing kind, generally called benign. IF you have MS, as the previous person said. there's a lot of support out here, if you're in the UK, i'd definately recommend the forum on the MS society's website. even when someone is 'just' going through diagnosis, they're welcome. there are lots of us there who can speak from first hand experience.

wendy x

• Posted

Hi wendy,

Thanks, yes I'm in the UK. The way the GP said it was like she didn't think it was but would sendr just incase. I've been seeing her for 2 years so why has she just decided to send me. The beta blockers were working so would they have stopped the numb sensation if it was MS? I don't have any weakness just a sensation.

• Posted

the GP has probably referred you because they want a better informed diagnosis as the numbness has returned, it could be an MS relapse. i'm sorry, i don't know anything about the use of beta blockers, the only things i can see on the ms society site is in it being used fo treat anxiety and possibly to reduce tremor, i haven't seen anything about beta blockers being used to stop numbness. i'm not aware of anything that stops numbness, sorry. as you're stopping using citalopram, could you be feeling hyper-aware, are you going onto an alternative?
    • Posted

Sorry, I didn't explain properly. I'm on beta blockers as the GP thought the numbness could be a migraine symptom. They did help, I have been told I have health anxiety! I'm now starting to take Amitriptyline at night which is an antidepressant that stops headaches apparently.

I have been to the opticians and my eyes are fine, I do get pain behind the left one sometimes, but she says the optic nerve looks healthy.

What symptoms do you experience? Is MS as bad as I think?

• Posted

have you got yourself some literature? the MS society is good for that, too. the best thing is to inform yourself without overloading on facts. whether or not you have MS, you would probably benefit from learning some relaxation techniques. should it turn out to be MS, it is a stress sensitive condition, you can cause your symptoms to flare up by being too stressed.  

if you ask people if ms is as bad as you think, you'll get EVERY possible answer, but it still won't answer your question, because: a. i don't know how 'bad' YOU think 'it' is. and b. you don't know how i'm interpreting my symptoms.

MS is something that the patient has to be pragmatic about, but remember, it isn't fatal! i take nortriptyline, by the way, i believe it's part of the same  'family' as amitriptyline.

• Posted

Thank you wendy you have been really helpful, I will just have to wait and see and hope for the best x
    • Posted

please let us know how you get on, i'll keep my fingers crossed for you! smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.