Feeling like my throat is closing up

Posted , 16 users are following.

Hey all I haven't been on this forum for ages because I've been doing brilliant! But today not so good, all day my neck and head is killing me my glands feel like there swollen I feel like my throats closing up feels like there's mucous stuck in it! Finding it hard to breathe! Like have my periods as well so maybe it's just a bad anxiety day I don't know.. Ugh so annoying been doing so well the past 3 months and today I just feel like I'm back to where I was 9 months ago?? Any advice?

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Rachel18350

its possible you might be coming down with a cold or something.   I started with the same problem and now have an upper respiritory tract infection. Feel just the same as you described. Plenty of paracetamol if feverish and  plenty of water to keep you hydrated and help get rid of  that horrendous mucous. You probably feel a bit anxious because ypu are slightly under the weather and, of course having a period. Say no more. Hormones can do allsorts to the mind as well as the body damn things!! . Everything seems worse. Plenty of rest(if you are able) something to distract t you from overthinking. Not always easy I know. Its only a minor blip and hopefully as you pick up the anxious thoughts will lessen. X

• Posted

maybe you just got a virus , its what everybody is catching
  • Posted

Okay.....I hope this helps but I started having anxiety attacks when I was 18...that was 30 years ago.......I suffered for 5 years....racing to the hosiptal with thoughts of panic and anxiety and thoughts of feeling like I was going to die etc......until a doctor told me a little secret....stop drinking...period, no alcohol at all.....it screws the body's chemistry all to hell and takes days to recover....stop smoking cigarettes, same issue,nicotins is a stimulant.....stop using artificial sweeteners of any kind, they create poisons in the body that are toxic and creates chemical imbalance......no caffeine of any kind, even soft drinks, the worst stimulant ever invented.....causes the heart to race and the nervous system to fire without proper stimulation.....watch the sugar intake, stimulant......use stiva or brown cane sugar.....don't use regular salt, use sea or pink salt.......throws the blood out of balance........watch how many carbs you eat every day because they are just pure energy that fires the body up and makes it pump adrenaline, then you get nervous and anxious............So I tried.....do you know how hard it is to give up luxuries like that?........I struggled for 5 years and then after a very bad night in emergency I wnet home and decided to try.......I felt like hell for two weeks and then one day I woke up and fell like I was waking up from a hangover.......I was sick for two days and then it got better.........I went into work and felt pretty good.....after a couple months I felt wonderful.......no anxiety, sleeping like a baby, I lost weight, I felt happy and relaxed.......it was the best I had ever felt in my life and I have never looked back....I found that doctor and thanked him....he said that when the human body goes through puberty the brain turns on this complex, massive chemical factory and we go from little kids with foul tempers to adults with foul tempers but with a body that is producing all these chemicals and hormones that are driving us to reproduce. Adding man made crap throws a wrench into that chemical factory and buggers the whole process up. It affects the thyroid(get that tested by the way, nasty issues when it goes wrong), the pituitary and the thymus....your heart becomes irregular and skips beats and you have panic attacks that make the irregular heart beat worse.......clean up the body and the natural chemicals come back into balance.......and read, read what can screw your body up and stop using it. Now it I want to relax I use THC tincture.....not enough to get high but enough to relax me and settle me down. I have even had the odd glass of port wine, note I said the odd glass.......coming home every night and getting drunk is the worse thing you can do because following a rotten nights sleep your body now tries to get back in balance and trust me it can be very nasty. I use the THC tincture because it was recommended that I have something to ease back with plus it is a real medicine that works in the body. I get a little drunk every once and a while and a little high once in a while but not on a continuous basis......once maybe twice a month. You have to get the body cleaned up and back in balance before you abuse it gently every once and a while. I't why meditation helps some people....they are balancing the body and quitening the chemical factory called your brain.......and for heaven's sake don't panic at every odd thought that enters your head or funny feeling your body experiences........check to see if you are getting a cold or check to see if you have allergies.......your symptoms sound like mild anaphylactic response to something.....I didn't realize I had a mild allergy to strawberries until one day the doctor sent me for allergy tests and there is was along with 9 other things and they all made me feel like you're describing.watch what you eat.......track everything.....get your thyroid tested, get allergy tests done and clean your body up.......and always, always consult your doctor when you make changes like this just so he can help and keep track with you......I hope this helps.......it's not a diagnosis nor medical advise, just something that worked for me and dozens of other people who tried the same life plan and are living happy and anxiety free.
    • Posted

Hi Phil,

I loed your advice and wanted to know what you thought about my situation?

Three weeks ago, waking at 6am for an early shift at work, I choked on a blob of toothpaste. Seriously! A whole chunk exploded in my throat, reacted with the saliva, and i couldnt even breathe through my nose. It went on like this until i was on all fours and gasping for air. I almost blacked out and i swear i have never felt a panic like it. Then two weeks later i am waiting in a chuch on my friends wedding day an i have a heart palpitation, then sweaty hands, ringing in ears. the whole works. i feel short of breath. now this is happening every time i eat anything my whole throat closes over, i burp gas after eating anything i can manage, i feel so tired, dizzy. The docs are saying i am not short of air i just think i am and that i need to try eat little and often. i intend to give up alocohol for life, apart from a one beer on a sunny day rule. no more. as i know i can do this. i am also switching to one decaf coffee a day and triying to reduce chocolate portions and smoking too. i suppose i just cannot accept that i am anxious. i just want to feel normal the way i did 5 days ago! Any advice you have would be great x  

• Posted

i gave up drink , because a 5 hour op for PANCREATITIS  left half my internal organs in the waste bin.  dont smoke , dont each sweet stuff , and i feel no better whatsoever, so it depends on the person , sounds like you like a bit of weed if skunk that would have screwed you big time cutting out skunk saves your brain
    • Posted

sorry  i just read again it was cigs not weed  , sorry redface
  • Posted

I have a hyperactive thyroid problem it's been several years since I've took medication but everything that you put that you feel I'm feeling and it's been feeling like that for a couple of years everytime I get my thyroid checked they say that everything is fine something is wrong I feel at times I can't even breathe because my throat bothers me so much that I feel like it's closing or my glands are really swollen what should I do
    • Posted

Hi lucie I know u posted a few months ago but wondered how u were getting on? I have same symptoms and I think the more u think about it the worse it gets sad dry throat. Sometime bit sore and tickly but very dry. Bit of mucus present and feel like throat closing and that can't breathe. Seeing respiratory consult next month. Bothers me as get chest pain at times and discomfort but doc thinks have reflux. Think I do suffer with anxiety. Feel like I could cry at Times!

• Posted

Hi Lisa.

I have similar symptoms. It started a year ago with a lump feeling in my throat. I had some chest pains as well. I've been to doctors who keep saying it's just indigestion and put me on PPI's. I've even been to hospital on 3 occasions,who did blood tests, chest X Ray, ECG (I've had palpitations as well 😩). I've now got an endoscopy booked in a couple of weeks. But I am petrified. I've convinced myself it's something serious, as I had chicken a couple of weeks ago and felt the meat travel all the way down my oesophagus,no pain but now I'm struggling to eat,feel I'm forcing my food down my throat. I'm focusing on every mouthful. Mouths dry. I know it's irrational but I can't stop,this is going to be a long 2 weeks!x

• Posted

Hi liss I completely understand how u are feeling. I have felt like this for around 2 years in off and still not got to the bottom of it 🙀 Don't know whether it's reflux or even anxiety! Admittingly the awkward breathing settles after taking the PPIs but like u don't want to keep taking them. I feel that mine is more LPR silent reflux as don't suffer too much with heartburn? It's good that u are having the endoscopy. It will show what is going on and then they can treat the problem. Dry mouth can also be brought in through anxiety which isn't surprising when you have these symptoms and worrying sad try not to overthink too much. Easier said than done. I'm a born worrier! Just wait until uve had endo and take it from there. At least they can tell you what's wrong there and then smile good luck and let me know how it goes. Take care x
    • Posted

I know it's a horrible feeling but the sensation of your throat closing up could also be because u are anxious. I'm not saying u haven't got reflux that maybe causing it but it's just something I get alot and the more u worry the worse it is sad it comes on suddenly. I know it sounds silly but I found when felt like that I kept drinking water and taking deep breaths which helped smile . Hope the endo goes ok. I'm waiting for one too! Good luck ☘
    • Posted

i am only 11 and i i have the same felling write now when ever i drink it feel likes its stuck and my throat feels like its closeing what shouled i do i ask my momom and she said i will be fine but i dont think i will be ok so please help me i am very very very scared,i woke up in the morning everything was ok.i got breakfeast,i was half way done and i started feeling that throat closeing up.i started crying a lot i was very scared i am about to eat dinner i made it frew lunch but i could hardly eat my lounch i could only eat a apple with no skin and i am under weight im really scared because i think im going to die,my momom thing its allergees but im not sure please help me i really would love if i could get thise feeling away thank you for reading thise.
    • Posted

Hi James I think your mom would know best. I am sure all is ok. Sometimes the more you think about things the worse things seem.

If you are still unsettled by it all ask your mom if she can take you to the doctor just to put your mind at rest smile

• Posted

Hi! Mrs Rachel this Kbone just trying to see if can help me. My throat Feels like kind of closing up on me. I had surgery about 3 years ago maybe longer I couldn't even swallow a pill. I'm not mistaken but it's like it's coming back and had trouble clearing my throat. Because,it like always something there! Is there any suggestions that you may have that I can use to help make me feel better! So agitated! Beside surgery again.Thanks!Kbone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.