Post polio syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

Contracted polio at age 4/5 months old in 1955. Recovered except for right leg/hip however have led a normal and active life, including bearing 2 sons, until I was involved in a road accident in 1984 which resulted in the amputation (below-knee), of my right leg. Recovered from that and became fully mobile again after some months. Carried on working and bringing up my sons for the next 25 years. However during the last 2/3 years started feeling very tired and right leg became substantially more weak to the point where I have lost confidence in its ability to support my body weight. Incidentally, I am currently 49 kilos so not much to support! In addition, I have been feeling extremely cold whereas in the past I was always quite warm, whatever the weather. Also, am experiencing acute pain in my right side, often worse at night. Have undergone numerous tests recently included eletrodiognosis and MRI scans. Motor neurone has been discounted as have all the usual illnesses associated with my symptoms however my neurologist is not keen to diagnose PPS and instead says I have chronic outstanding denervation changes which are consistent with my known past history of polio. Does anyone know if this is the same thing as PPS?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Your neurologist needs education about PPS. 

PPS is due to de-enenervation changes consistent with past history of Polio. 

70-80% who had polio infection as kids get PPS after 20-35 years and beyond. 

• Posted

If your EMG/NCC reports are suggestive of chronic denervation, then in presence of past history of polio, it means post polio. Further it can be confirmed by repeating same test and note discrepancy in it over the time. Repeat test may demonstrate involvement of more nerves.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.