burning mouth syndrome

Posted , 37 users are following.

Hi

I've been suffering from this for about 2 month.

At first I didn't know what it was till I googled my symptoms

I have a taste which at first was metallic it's now sometimes salty.

The roof of my mouth and tongue feels like i had scalded it like with a hot drink though I havnt

My mouth gets dry and it's worse then.

I take venlafaxine antidepressant, and I'm thinking is it this.

Do you suffer for this? And if so what's it symptoms or have you got rid off it.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I also have burning mouth syndrome for about 2 months. Saw my primary dr and dentist who were clueless. Today I saw an ENT who put me on meds for GERD, mouthwash for the BMS, and clonapen for anxiety. I

Told her I was not anxious till the numbness started and now there are moments when it is so annoying. My understanding is that it does not necessarily go away, you manage the symptoms till it might go away. If this approach does not help we are going to try neurontin for the discomfort. Wishing you well in relief of your discomfort.

• Posted

Hi , I'm new to this forum. I've been suffering with BMS for a few months. Since I've had this condition my

tongue as gone very pale and white - I always had a pink tongue before this. The tongue isn't coated it as

actually gone pale. What I want to know is as this happened to anyone else or is it maybe due to acid which

as actually done this. I'm not sure if I suffer with acid reflux but will be having tests shortly to determine this. I sometimes don't get the burning but it does seem to be happening more often it affects my tongue , lips and side of my mouth. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated .

Maria

• Posted

My tongue is is paler and some what swollen. Underneath is very red. Have had it for many, many years. I wonder if it is a hormonal thing but both men & women get it. basically, all info says learn to cope with it. IDIOTS! . The following info is on mayoclinic.

If a cause can't be found, treatment can be challenging. There's no known cure for primary burning mouth syndrome, so treatment is aimed at controlling the symptoms. You may need to try several treatment methods before finding one or a combination that helps reduce your mouth discomfort. You may be able to reduce the discomfort from burning mouth syndrome or prevent your discomfort from getting worse by avoiding.................

Don't use tobacco products.

Avoid alcohol and products with alcohol, as they may irritate the lining of your mouth.

Avoid products with cinnamon or mint.

Avoid spicy-hot foods.

Avoid acidic foods and liquids, such as tomatoes, orange juice, soft drinks and coffee.

Try different mild or flavor-free brands of toothpaste, such as one for sensitive teeth or one without mint or cinnamon.

Take steps to reduce excessive stress.Treatment options may include:

Saliva replacement products

Specific oral rinses or lidocaine

Capsaicin, a pain reliever that comes from chili peppers

An anticonvulsant medication called clonazepam (Klonopin)

Certain antidepressants

Medications that block nerve pain

Cognitive behavioral therapy

• Posted

Gosh Joey ,you are in a right state. sounds as though you are in need of a distraction. Go to the beach, hope there is one nearby. sit  and practise breathing exercises, let the sea breezes  do their stuff and try to relax. and, go by yourself

Make the effort Joey, pills are not the answer to everything

Jacqueline 

• Posted

Hi, I'm new to this discussion forum site.  Back in July 4th 2012 I broke out with a cold sore.  I could not get a doctor to prescribe me any medication until then next day, but of course it was to late and I had to just deal with the sore on my lip putting cream to avoid the cracking.  I took the medication prescribed (NO IDEA NOW bering almost 2 years later) but it was not working.  She prescribed it for another 7 days and still no results.  I told her my lips upper and bottom were burning and stinging.  She was also stumped and I ended up going to see my Dermatalogist.  I did a bioposy on my lip and it came back active, but reason why it was burning.  Well we found a study done back in 1999 by Yale Universary in New Haven.  This study involved most women in their 50's pre or post menopausal.  There was cure for the symptoms for these people other than taking Klonapam.  So she gave me a prescription for Klonapam and it has been working up until recently.  Seems that my body is getting used to the klonapam and doesn't seem to take the feeling away.  I used Biotene Toothpaste and Mouthwash for dry mouth and chew SugarFree gum Trident- tropical Twist flavor for the metalic taste in my mouth.  It's something I just have to live with,  I've read a many forums about this problem. Me developing BMS is from being pre-menal-pausal and having anxiety. 

I was hoping with this new forum I found it there is to get a new medication that might take care of the symptoms.  Can't stant the burning. 

• Posted

Hi Epal,

Please respond back and let me know if you still have the burning?

• Posted

Hi Amy!

My BMS started roughly 7 months ago after a procedure for a back molar implant. The surgery itself was a success, but if I could take it back.. I would. This is of course because of the BMS. It seems as though this trauma is what sparked it up.

I have been to a Dentist, an Oral Surgeon and will be going to a ENT in the next few weeks to discuss the issue. The Dentist and Oral Surgeon had a few things that they thought is was. Such as Candida or grinding of the teeth. I was treated as if I had those to no prevail. Both of them seemed to be pretty dismissive as this usually only happens in post postmenopausal women. Well I'm a 26 year old Bro.. so no.

I do not plan on accepting my fate with BMS and am driven to know the underlying cause and find a treatment. I know it is extremely discouraging to go on these message boards and read peoples pain and see that they have not found anything that works for them. So I have planned to keep everyone posted on this blog of my journey. I plan to keep the conversation going. I plan to answer as many questions I can with my own experience. I'll keep a log stating what hasn't worked for me and also appointment updates. I'm doing this because the response of "Cope With It" is quite frankly ignorant. This is real. The pain is real. Lets go!!!

Things that have not worked for me:

- Treatment For Candida

- Sensodyne Toothpaste (made it worse)

Things to try this week

- Dry Mouth Rinse and Spray

- Avoiding acidic foods

- Zantac 150

• Edited

i am new to this syndrome Mine seemed to start after developing thrush After two rounds of medication for the thrush i was eating and got terrible burning and tingling in mouth lips gums even my face it almost felt like an allergic reaction i am being treated for menopause and i have autoimmune disorder My mouth deteriorated pretty rapidly . i have seen dentist three GP's and chatted with the neurologist to tell me to go back to dentist or to schedule with an ENT i have spent so much money on doctors and medicines i wasnt anxious before this but it is certainly driving me crazy right now if i can help in any way please let me know

• Posted

Hello Clio, I had a session of this,with the off handed remark that is was "hot mouth" I jst nagged until it was sorted, ask you doc about Acid reflux  I was prescribed  Omeprazole  MAGIC.

good luck 

Jacqueline

• Posted

Hi Jacqueline,

Did your burning mouth go away? Please respond. Thank you!

Amy

• Posted

For me it started six months after my dentist recommended switching to Sensodyne, which does contain SLS (Sodium Lauryl Sulphate). Switching back to my long-time favorite herbal Thera-Neem toothpaste (no SLS) solved the problem within a few days.

Of course I can't be sure if it was SLS or another ingredient in Sensodyne, but I am definitely not going to try another toothpaste for a while now!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.