Terbinafine will taste return

Posted , 44 users are following.

Have been on 250mg for 5 weeks for skin infection. Have now lost all sense of taste and miserable as choosing not to eat as dull and boring. I am choosing to stop medication now as nothing is worse than this and i fly on holiday tomorrow. Does anyone know if my taste will return to normal and how long this may take? 😞

3 likes, 137 replies

137 Replies

Next
  • Posted

try taking multivitamin medication, it works for me. Then discontinue when taste returns.
  • Posted

Ok, will try that today, thankyou
  • Posted

Stopped tablets 5 days ago, have salty taste in saliva even when drinking water, have about 10% savory taste, taking multi vitamins, cant taste anything sweet at all, miserable time, hope its not months till comes back, skin seems to be on mend stil, 😞
  • Posted

Day 11, still hardly any taste, about 10% pepper, spice, no bitter or sweet, fruit, urgh! Weight coming off, soup is bearable and expresso coffee,sad
  • Posted

Day 16, lost a stone in weight and still very little taste, cant taste fresh oranges/lemons and nothing with sugar, chocolate, cake, all the nice things. I am back to doctors in 2 days time as that will be nearly 3 weeks since stopping the medication. I am a 43 year old male of good health so getting quite concerned now, I'm updating this blogg as there is a lack of updates on this and would like to keep people informed on how I'm getting on since May 5th. The skin infectoin i was taking the tablets for seems to have cleared now so fingers crossed its done the trick but this side effect is awful, i can smell everthing, all nice foods but stil have to eat soup and expresso coffee in latte's. I have been eating stong curry and rice for one evening meal to keep me alive so to speak. I can feel the strength of the curry in my throat and when i pass it but not in my mouth. I still have salty taste in my mouth, hot tea tastes salty and water is still like mild sea water. Hopefully it will come back to normal soon. sad
    • Posted

Hi Mirving

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Took for 5 weeks and then stopped after my taste gradually faded away. Left now with the salty taste and can only taste coffee and savoury things (very slightly!).

How long did it take for sweet to totally return? It's so horrible! And I'm on holiday a lot over summer so it's going to be the worst to not enjoy all the things I love. Urgh! Hate this!!!

Good reading your thread.

Hope everything is back to normal now?!

Laura x

• Posted

Hi

It took nine weeks for me to be able to taste sweet things again.Dont worry your taste will come back.

• Posted

Thanks Rob,

Did it come back gradually or quite sudden? 

• Posted

Hi Laura

It was gradual with savoury foods returning first ..

Sweet foods like cakes,chocolate,yoghurt etc took the longest.

• Posted

hiya mirving,

well its obvious the problem more than likely is in your mouth where the sweet/sour/bitter etc taste receptors are, they are on your tongue and mouth. its good that your sense of smell is ok as its your sense of smell that gives you the ability to taste the full range of tastes, im sure the doc will be able to help, keep us updated cheesygrin

• Posted

hi, thanks for the update, i found it odd i can smell everthing fine, makes it worse when you cant taste it,..i'm sure taste buds recycle and renew like skin so fingers crossed now the med is stopped the taste will gradually come back, will keep you posted of course when i've been to the doctors on Friday this week. Glad it sounds possitve that my smell is ok anyhow, smile
  • Posted

Day 21, doctor cant help, still no taste, hopeless this now, 😞
  • Posted

Day 29 since stopped med, have about 50% taste back, most things apart from sugar, sweet in general. I am feeling lots better in myself, starting to eat normal food again, hoping in a week or so all will be back to normal. The skin infection has totally cleared thankfully. 😊
  • Posted

7 weeks today since i stopped the medication, pleased to say i have 95% taste back for drinks and food. Only thing missing is sugar in chocolate but natural sugar is fine. This has been a long drawn out process, i feel for anyone in early stages of taste loss, so pleased im reporting all well, 😊
    • Posted

This has been so helpful to read, I am only in my second week since stopping the medication (after taking for 5 weeks) and am really struggling with it. 

I can taste most savoury things (nowhere near as strongly as usual though) but no fruit, smoothies, granola, cake - all sugar in general! Everything nice!!! it's horrible!

I am really hoping it doesn't continue into my holiday at the end of August, but have a feeling it might...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.