metformin

Posted , 1 user is following.

i am not a diabetic. however, my physician suggested that i use metformin for weight loss.. can anyone say if this is a wise choice? i know the final decision is mine to make but i wanted to have some feedback on the subject. Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

From a healthcare professional point of view there is very little evidence to support the use of metformin in this way - has this come from your GP or consultant ? Either way it is an unlicensed use and I doubt there is much practical experience with using it solely for this reason in non-diabetics.

Tarun (hospital pharmacist)

• Posted

Thanks for replying Tarun. It was suggested by my GP. is it that it should not be used or can not be used?

• Posted

I think your GP may have come across some research suggesting its possible use. When used in patients with type 2 diabetes it has a mild weight loss effect, whereas some other diabetes medicines can induce weight gain. Because of this there is ongoing research as to whether metformin in non-diabetic patients can produce similar benefits. I think your GP needs to be clear that this is an unlicensed use of a licensed medicine. I'm not saying it couldn't or shouldn't be used, because ultimately the GP will take clinical responsibility for prescribing such medication. There are other examples of medicines being used for conditions they have not been originally licensed for, so if you both think that the potential benefits are worth it then you could consider it.

Tarun

• Posted

thank you very much tarun for the information. if metformin is not licensed for weight loss i definitely wont be the guinea pig for testing. i will take your advise greenshield and practice healthy eating habits not that i havent tried before and given up. not every overweight person is diabetic or will be diabetic and its sad and frightening that my doctor sees this for me and is prescribing in advance for what is not. input appreciated psychochief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.