Swollen feeling in rectum since November

Posted , 7 users are following.

Since last November I've had a strange feeling in and around my rectum. It feels like I have to use the restroom with a sense of fullness yet I do not have to poop. When I sit down I can really feel it and if I push with my rectum when I don't have to use the restroom it is such a profound swollen feeling. It's a constant swollen feeling and every now and then (not often) I have a burning pain. I don't have any symptoms such as bloody diarrhea, stomach pain, or pain when I poop, I only have that constant swollen feeling that is uncomfortable. Can someone help me figure this out??

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

find an infectious diseases doctor and post updates. insist on semen culture from any doctor you see
    • Posted

because if it is prostatitis the best way to show bacteria is from semen. You may want to be screened for cancer if ultrasound or MRI images show it may be the case. I would say get an ID appoinment and some sort of imaging too. some urologists may be helpful, but in the US most are not. In any case insist on semen culture
    • Posted

also urinate into a container for a day or two and see if there is anything unusual
  • Posted

ive had this for years and comes and goes as it pleases. its non bacterial prostatitis. (chronic) i also get erectile issues and frequent urination
    • Posted

There is no such thing as 'non-bacterial' prostatitis. It is cased by bacteria, although they may not have been found. Have you tried getting a semen culture? 
    • Posted

there is a such thing as non bacterial prostatis and it affects alot of young men been to urolgistS and i believe that is what you have.

• Posted

those urologists are wrong. have a semen culture done and see if any uropathogen grows, and then come back to discuss this further. culturing from urine is useless, even after prostate massage. SEMEN
  • Posted

Hi Robert, You have my deepest sympathy. I know exactly what you are going through because I have been suffering from the exact symptoms for the past sixteen years. It started with the sensation of having a golf ball in my rectum that I just couldn't get rid of, then came the painful urination and ejaculation. After numerous examinations ( MRI, Xray, endoscopies) they said that it I suffer from  non-bacterial Chronic Prostatitis (Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome). I am currently taking Tamsulosin (Alfa Blockers) which give me a partial retrograde ejaculation and a course of Cyproflaxicine once or twice a year. The Tamsulosin is helpful in relaxing the muscles around the bladder to help urination. It's handy if you have trouble urinating and having to get up many times during the night. I personally believe that it is the swelling of the Prostate that pushes against the nerves behind the rectum which causes this sensation of incomplete evacuation of the rectum, which is why a lot of doctors initially mistake this for irritable bowel syndrome. I have looked at many different options in treating this condition and they come with a lot of risks. However, the treatments which involve the least risk are direct injections of a cocktail of antibiotics into the prostate gland which can kill most of the bacterias, water vapor treatment, or embolisation of the prostate blood vessels which can reduce its size. You can find all this info online. There are also some Youtube videos about them. The only way to cure this disease is if all the prostatitis sufferers in the world get together and form a strong pressure group to force the researchers to put more money and effort into finding a permanent cure for this disease. Right now, there are hundreds of millions of sufferers who are not organised and don't have unified voice in tackling this serious issue.All the best, Dan
    • Posted

That is the truth,Dan  When oh When will we all wise up;

Steve

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.