Advice re pleurisy in copd patient

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi all. My husband has copd and bronchiectasis. He had strong pains in his back, lung area and was diagnosed last Thursday with pleurisy (after x Ray and ct scan). As it is a virus they do not prescribe anything other than pain killers. Does anyone have any experience of pleurisy or how long it lasts? Thanks.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Sonsy, I've had pleurisy a number of times, I find it usually lasts about 2 weeks and can be very painful. Hope your husband feels better soon. Take care Julia
    • Posted

Thanks Julia, did you take anything for it other than painkillers?or did you just rest up (as he is doing) sorry to keep asking questions but this is a new one for us. Also, any idea how it is contracted?
  • Posted

Pleurisy isn't a virus in itself, it's inflammation of the lung lining, but can be caused by a virus.   Your husband doesn't have two lung conditions:  COPD stands for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and covers more than one lung condition, including bromchiiectasis.

Sorry, I have no idea how long it could last but haven't you asked the docttors this?   They would know his specific condition better than anyone else

• Posted

Thanks Jude. Yes I realise copd is a covering term but wanted to be more specific when detailing. We only found out on Thursday evening what was wrong , after x Ray and scan and to be honest , we're so pleased that it wasn't pneumonia, clot or collapsed lung (as these were the other possibilities) that we didn't ask too many questions. Being the Easter weekend the Drs are closed until Tuesday so I thought I would ask the forum especially as it is people who may have had experience of it.

Julia , thanks, he had just completed a course of antibiotics as he thought it was a chest infection so the Dr said that that was enough.

thank you both for replying, it helps to liase with people in the same situation.

• Posted

Broncheictasis and COPD are two completely different things. COPD is narrowing of the airways and Bronchiectasis is a widening of the airways. Bronchiectasis does not fall under the umberella term of COPD , people who have this are known as non CF Bronchiectasis patients as their lungs are the same as someone who has Cystic fibrosis.

• Posted

Hi Sonsy

I have copd stage 4 on oxygen 4 hours a day and i have had plerisy quite a lot one time i had it for nearly 18 months they tried every antibiotic and they had to chop and change them quite regular very painful and a lot of discomfort 

• Posted

Hi Sonsy

You may want to familiarize yourself with Pleurisy and Bronchiectasis and COPD they are all different health issues.

You really need to speak to your doctor concerning the discomfort your husband is experiencing, if the lungs are inflamed as the pain in your husbands back and lung area indicate you would normally be prescribed steroid tablets but it really depends how your husbands lungs are affected, if there is a lung infection or pneumonia which has resulted in pleurisy.  Either way your GP can prescribe adequate pain killers for your husband.

A few links below will help you understand the difference between each lung condition, there is also a discussion forums for pleurisy and bronchiectasis patients.

Pleurisy search link patient uk:  https://patient.info/search.asp?searchterm=pleurisy&searchcoll=All

Bronchiectasis search link patient uk:  https://patient.info/search.asp?searchTerm=Bronchiectasis

COPD: -

https://patient.info/health/chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease-leaflet

What is chronic obstructive pulmonary disease?

Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a general term which includes the conditions chronic bronchitis and emphysema. COPD is the preferred term.

Chronic means persistent.

Bronchitis is inflammation of the bronchi (the airways of the lungs).

Emphysema is damage to the smaller airways and air sacs (alveoli) of the lungs.

Pulmonary means 'affecting the lungs'.

Chronic bronchitis or emphysema can cause obstruction (narrowing) of the airways. Chronic bronchitis and emphysema commonly occur together. The term COPD is used to describe airflow obstruction due to chronic bronchitis, emphysema, or both.

Search link patient UK:

https://patient.info/search.asp?searchTerm=COPD&collections=All

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.