chicken pox

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was wondering if it's safe for me to be around my 13 week pregnant friend as one of my other friends child has chicken pox? And I've spent alot of time with him this week?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

If your son has chicken pox and your friend is pregnant, then it wouldn't be advisable to be near your friend until the spots and incubation period is oveR. For example if your friend contracts chicken pox while pregpregnant, there is a chance the baby might have some disability later in life, due to not being able to fight the infection off, it may have a chance of being born with a hearing problem, if you're true, honest friend to her, then you would keep away until chicken pox has been cleared from your house and clean the all the traces of it after its gone before you see her again for the sake of her unborn baby
  • Posted

Please please be a good friend and stay away until the chicken pox is gone. There is a virus peculiar to pregnat women caused by the chicken pox virus.  I had a very dear friend who caught this virus she was 26 and 25 weeks pregnant unfortunately this virus killed her and her unborn baby.  So please help your friend to stay healthy.
  • Posted

Has your pregnant friend had chickenpox already? If she has, she has nothing to worry about. She will have antibodies already and her baby will be protected until after it is born.

If she has not had chickenpox, it is best if she does not catch it while she is pregnant, especially in the first trimester. Chickenpox is caught when in close proximity to someone who has symptoms. It is not caught from someone who does not have chickenpox but has recently spent time with someone who has it (i.e. you). This is too indirect to matter. The chickenpox virus will not survive for long on a person who does not have active signs. People who do have symptoms are highly infectious, so they are the ones to avoid. All your friend needs to do is avoid being in the same room as the child.

To repeat, if your pregnant friend has had chickenpox herself, she is, in a sense, 'vaccinated' and is no longer at risk for the rest of her life.

Marian Nicholson - Director - Herpes Viruses Association and Shingles Support Society. (Chickenpox is a virus in the herpes family of viruses and it also causes shingles, mainly in adults.)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.