bronchiectasis caused by scoliosis??

Posted , 4 users are following.

Greetings -- I am writing on behalf of my husband (age 52) who is currently in the hospital here in the states after experiencing his first haemoptysis.  He has idiopathic bronchiectasis, diagnosed 4 years ago, and a severe thoracic curvature (75%).  I am trying to find out if anyone in this discussion has bronchiectasis they believe may be the result of scoliosis (and associated deformity of the chest cavity/lungs)?  Rich, my husband, is thinking about spinal fusion surgery, which scares the heck out of me since in the short term it might be very hard on his lungs to recover from such an invasive procedure.  On the other hand, perhaps it would help in the long term to have more less pressure on this lungs.  Thoughts?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

any relief on his lungs will be benificial.   i have had major thoracic surgery  @67yrs  of age  so your husband has youth on his side .  the outcome from  bronchiectasis depends largely on keeping  infection at bay ergo  any  measure taken to increase the capacity  or the function of the lung will result in greater comfort.   keep us informed  and good luck to ur husband           
  • Posted

I would imagine that having the surgery would remove the pressure on his lungs which has to be beneficial.  If they know he is a bronchiectasis patient great care should be taken with the anaesthetic and I would imagine that they will discuss this with both of you beforehand.  Also if he is a hospital he will have access to physiotherapy to clear his lungs.  He might take a long time to get well afterwards but if his scoliosis deteriorates it will be so bad for his lungs.

My best wishes to both of you.

• Posted

Hi Jenifer

​I have scoliosis and bronchiectasis I was told the bronchiectasis was caused with my rheumation arthritis .I do hope your husband gets some relief soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.