"Flicker" in peripheral vision when moving eyes.

Posted , 21 users are following.

I am starting to freak out. a few days ago when looking in the fridge i noticed the lights in the fridge flicker as i moved my eyes from the top of the fridge to the bottom. I retraced the eye movements and realized it wasn't actually the lights flickering it was my eyes making it appear as though it was. Ever since then i have noticed the "flickering" when i move my eyes and i think i've seen it without moving them aswell, always in my peripheral vision. The best way i can describe it is it looks like a sudden flicker of a lightbulb aka it is a dark flicker. I hope someone can help me as i am afraid it may be retinal detachment

2 likes, 85 replies

85 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have a similar condition, it started when i had retina tears about 15 years ago.  They were sealed using laser and seemed to be successful.  Have you been to the opticians or doctors ?  I would definately get your eyes checked.  It could be a retina problem.
    • Posted

what is retina tears, sorry to sound silly, but would really like to know.

• Posted

Hard to be sure what is causing your dark flicker.

Sometines a separation of the vitreous gel in the eye causes something like this.  But usually described as a flash of light to the side when moving the eyes.  If this is associated with dark or grey floaters or cobwebs that move around in front of your vision it usually means the vitreous gel has separated from the retina at the back of the eye. In this case you should see your optometrist for a thorough check to ensure that there is no retinal tear.  These can be treated easily before they progress to an actual retinal detachment requiring surgery. Hence the recommendation for professional opinion if the symptoms I mentioned above are relevant.

• Posted

robert93685 is perfectly correct.  Retina tears are when the retina literally tears and the doctors have to use a lazer to "seal" the tear.  Certainly get it checked out asap.  Make sure that you explain your symptoms to the doctor / opticians
    • Posted

Hi I have had a retinal tear and the flickering of light you are talking about has definitely been a affect I have witnessed, my retinal tear and laser was 5 months ago and the light flickering in my eye is constant is your ? If so did you mind get used to it thank you 
  • Posted

Munekun...do not hesitate;  get to an opthamologist ASAP!
  • Posted

First, I would agree with everyone's recommendation that you get checked out just to be sure, you can't play games with retinal problems, a delay of even a few days could be disastrous. Google for your nearest Eye Emergency department, or go to a local optometrist. An eye exam dosen't hurt, but could save your sight. I know this from experience. A day or two ago I had unusual floaters develop, so to be sure I went to the regional eye casualty centre. Within the hour I had the tear in my retina laser 'welded' in place. If I had waited until after the weekend -  and I almost did - my retina would have started lifting and it probably would have been too late. So my message to anyone reading this is DON'T MESS ABOUT, GET IT LOOKED AT!  It doesn't hurt in the slightest to get it looked at !!!

Apart from the floaters, I was getting flashes at the side too, the briefest arc of light when I moved my eyes quickly.

Having said all that, if you are seeing flickering in your peripheral vision WITHOUT moving your eyes, it may be nothing, and perfectly normal. Let me explain...

Flourescent lights, LED lights, TVs and computer screens aren't constantly on like an older type of bulb, in fact they flicker on and off 50 times a second. This is too fast for your eyes to see when you look straight at them, you just see a constant light. It's how all TVs work.

Your peripheral vision is different. Like most animals evolution equipped you to see predators sneaking up from the side, and although you can't actually see them properly, you can sense their movement; this is because the cells at the side react very much faster than the ones in the centre of your vision.

In my case, I can't see flourescent lights flicker when I look at them, but I can plainly see the flicker when i see them out of the corner of my eye. It's the same with older TVs and old-style computer screens. Oh, and sabre-tooth tigers.

I hope this is helpful. But get your eyes looked at anyway, you can't be too careful...!

• Posted

Hi, when you said that you were seeing brief flash in the corner of eye when you moved eye quickly. were you seeing this in broad day light ?

Thanks,

• Posted

Yes, in both dark and light conditions, but it was more obvious in the dark.

Hope this helps. If you're at all concerned, have your eyes looked at.

It doesn't hurt, and a lot of places will do it for free.

• Posted

I am only seeing in dark rooms and when i close my eyes in relatively dark environment and do eye movement, i got it checked the opthamologist said did dilated retina exam and said nothing is wrong. I still see flash, so a bit concerned.. I do not see it normally.. just when i try to reproduce it with quick eye movements, i can see it..

Thanks,

• Posted

If you have been seen by an ophthalmolgist, then I'm sure there is nothing to worry about, it may just be a symptom of PVD which happens when the 'jelly' (vitreous) in your eye moves. It happens to everyone as they get older. I will probably go away in a few weeks, like mine did.

If it gets worse, go back and see them again.

• Posted

Oops... that should be 'it will', not 'I will' !

• Posted

Have you considered the possibility of a phosphene? I think your situation is similar to mine and if it was PVD you could see the flashes through running or jumping. Do you still have the flashes?
  • Posted

I should also stress, if you begin to get a shadow at the side of your vision, you absolutely MUST MUST MUST get it looked at immediately.
  • Posted

Hey there! You ever figure out your issue by chance? Last week I noticed something similar in my left periphery. It's usually only noticeable against dimly lit light colored walls and I can mainly only see it when I blink or fix my eyes and move my head so the left frame of my glasses passes through it causing it to flicker.. not sure if it's the same thing but this is the closest I've found on the internet that resembles it. Hope you're doing well!

• Posted

I have the exact same thing. It's like a brief flash of a light bulb in my peripheral vision. I was reading that it could not be PVD becuase PVD flashes can be triggered without eye movement too. I did an experiment which was to fixate my eyes on a hair hanging over my eye and then jump around. No flash. If it was PVD I'd see a flash with that kind of movement. It's only there when I'm moving my eyes horizontally. 

A doc on some site said it might be nothing to worry about as these are called Phosphenes. Some pressure on the eye from muscle or a nerve ending may cause these flashes. Other causes could include MS which had me scared so much but since a lot of people have it here I don't think that is the case.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.